Why no Surefire 6p HA?

dhwfd46

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but does anyone besides me think a Hard Anodized 6P (and 9P) would sell like hot cakes? How many of us have bought a C2 just to build a SF/Leef lego?

Dave

kramer5150

Flashaholic
they'd never market that. The TypeIII anodize is what separates the higher end lights from the rest... in marketing terms its referred to as product model differentiation (or something like that).

Yes it would sell well but the negative side effect is it could cut into C2/M2/A2 sales.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
IMG_0115.jpg

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even more so than a 6P HA I'd like to see a Z2 HA body. The Leef bodies are super nice and I own a few, but when I want to run 16mm cells, the Z2 body is ideal. I'm imagining a Z44 head, HA Z2 body, and SW02 tailcap.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were a few HA round bodied 6Ps back in the day, but not many....

Heres a few of mine.

002-12.jpg

dhwfd46

Newly Enlightened
My Leef bodied HA 6p is only a few days away. It can be done, but you're still playing the color match loto and it depends on parts availability. My last Leef body wasn't even close to being a color match, but I have the lego I wanted so I'll worry about the color match later.

Regarding parts hunting on b/s/t, I work 60-90 hrs/ week and I'm in the single dad league, with 4 kids ages 1-12, so I can't spend much time looking for parts.

In reference to a HA 6p cutting into the C and M series, I disagree! You can buy a C2 in either finish with an $11 up-charge for HA. The C2 and M2 are purpose built lights that perform a specific function well. However, for general duty use and belt carry, the 6p is much more functional and in my opinion, a HA finish would make it more so.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Congrats, you'll love it.

Just look at the pic of mine to tide you over till it shows up! You got it from Lighthound right?

dhwfd46

Newly Enlightened
Of course.

I ordered the leef c/c 1x18650 body today along with some AW 18650 protected cells for the 2x18650 leef/ malkoff m60l I've been running with 3 primaries and a homemade spacer.

Need to order a Pila charger tonight. I might have to get an M30 (or maybe an M30LL if Gene will do it.)

Next will be a beater G2 or 6P to mount on my helmet.

allburger

Enlightened
they'd never market that. The TypeIII anodize is what separates the higher end lights from the rest... in marketing terms its referred to as product model differentiation (or something like that).

Yes it would sell well but the negative side effect is it could cut into C2/M2/A2 sales.

I think that the market of consumers who purchase surefire lights do not know the difference between type 2 and type 3 ano.

It shouldn't cut into sales of current type 3 lights because for most people it is not a determining factor or desired product attribute which influences product purchase.

The 6p is, for most, the entry level surefire light. With that said, the cost must be reasonable enough to make the initial purchase. After that, price conditioning can occur which will allow a person to spend upwards of $100 for a flashlight. Considering a flashlight should cost under $20 for a consumer not knowledgeable of high performance lights.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand and agree - but I think the SF answer is "if you want a Z2 with HA, we already make that light: buy a C2." (I know that ignores the D question.) Not the same to me, but probably not different enough for SF.

Yea, the Z2 Combatlight body is quite a bit lighter than the C2 body though. It's more a special operations light, where the C2 Centurion body is built more for toughness and has a pocket clip.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO the C2 HA is better than the 6P in every way and has a very nice slate grey HA:poke:

I see the 6P as an entry level metal light and adding to the cost would probably hurt sales (not on CPF though...)

Most buyers probably don't put too much weight on type of anodizing either.

Sverre

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Dfab and Sgt!!
Sgt., Did you have that light done just for you, or was it offered at one time?

I am making a few of these if anyone is interested.
sale thread on CPFMP.

Cheers

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I cobbled mine together from a OD C2 head and tail and a Leef Olive 1X18650 body that was once for sale at Lighthound.com.

It was the best way I could get what I wanted ASAP. A strong 18650 body for my M30WF that was a near perfect color match for the Surefire Anno.
I sold the C2 body on the marketplace.

Good luck in your venture, and I'm really looking forward to the Malkoff-able headlamp and Ti K2 TFFC light! :twothumbs

Latest posts