Toyota Hilux headlight replacement

Wok

Newly Enlightened
The vehicle is a 2003 model[ I believe its Tacoma in USA] & has a H4, 200mm x 132mm housing. The supply harness has been upgraded.

Q: Can I expect significantly better performance from aftermarket housing + bulb c.f with new OEM units?

The aftermarket housing I have found in Australia is the Narva 72086 + bulb of choice eg 48872BL [ +50 65/55W] I notice Narva have a "Platinum 4300K" now but no reviews.There is also a 100/55W bulb but its not ' +50' type ? Sounds ideal ratio for me.

The Hellas are not readily available & more $.
The Cibies could not be traced here.

Suggestions/comments?

Thks....eng hoe

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
If that vehicle has its original headlamps, they're good ones made by Koito (check the brand in the middle of the lens) and there's no need to swap them for Cibies or Hellas. If they're damaged or of unknown brand or for whatever other reason you want to change them, get Cibies, which are considerably better focused than Hellas. Forget all that "Platinum 4300K Metal White Super HID feeling Ultra Blue" junk, no matter who makes or sells it. Tinting the bulb glass never, ever, ever gives better headlamp performance, it always reduces your ability to see. You can use the Narva +50, the Philips or Osram +80/+90, or the Osram 70/65 (tough to find that last one, which makes ironic sense because it's the best of the lot).

Wok

Newly Enlightened
Yes....they are Koito......but they are sealed beam :(. Would I get useful improvement by replacing the original sealed -beam with [aftermarket + (Narva +50s)]. The Osram 70/65 would not meet the Australian ADR.
Thanks for your input.....eng hoe

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Wow, really? Sealed beams in Australian-spec HiLux as late as '03? Wild. Toyota P/N 90981-04011 is the LHT Koito H4 replaceable-bulb unit I thought your truck already had. If your local dealer won't supply it, these blokes will.

Wok

Newly Enlightened
Checked on the P/N...its available !.......downside is its A$210/pr . Importing from UK is $$$$$. .....will be checking the wreckers.
Thanks for your help......eng hoe

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
Your best bet would be getting Hella P/N 1043
1043.jpg

And run Phillips Vision Plus globes.
I've found Hella lights be be better constructed and have better beam pattern then Narva, Cibie is better again imho but afaik not available in Australia as headlights.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Checked on the P/N...its available !.......downside is its A$210/pr . Importing from UK is $$$$$. .....will be checking the wreckers.
Thanks for your help......eng hoe

Egads! They're better than Cibies, but they're not anywhere near that much better. You can get the Cibies from any reasonably competent Valeo stockist under p/n 082463 (no sidelight) or p/n 082465 (with sidelight). If you can't easily get the Cibie units, a close next preference would be the ones from Bosch, p/n 0 301 019 600 (no sidelight) or p/n 0 301 019 601 (with sidelight). These are all preferable to the Hellas, which are made of good materials but don't perform well.

Wok

Newly Enlightened
I did manage to source the CIBIE headlamps to the 082463/60 partnumber @ A$130/pr [freight included] from www.naauto.biz in Australia. The local importer is Hansen [sp?]. You are right about the box, its marked Valeo.
It came with a 6193 [60/55W] which is legal in Australia. I just need time to fit them now :)
Thank you for all the assistance...eng hoe