So which current available flashlight has the longest throw?

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Excluding any modified Maglites and dropins. Battery type....not really.

I would use this as an EDC, so I wouldn't want it to be enormous.

jenskh

Enlightened
I've read a little and many say it is the DBS v2? How far does it reach?

Over 600ft?
It depends on what light level you use as the cut off limit. A normal limit is 1 lux (moonlight). If you use that, the DBS v2 3SD Q5 SMO reaches about 180 m which corresponds to 590 ft.

1996alnl

Enlightened
It depends on what light level you use as the cut off limit. A normal limit is 1 lux (moonlight). If you use that, the DBS v2 3SD Q5 SMO reaches about 180 m which corresponds to 590 ft.

jenskh the DBS will throw a beam much farther than that.
The best way to really see how far a light can throw a beam is using it in a pitch black farmers field with no moonlight. I tried this with my Olight M20 R2 and lit up objects a good 800 ft away.
The DBS will out throw the M20 anyday.
You really appreciate a light in total darkness,using it in the city never does it justice.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
jenskh the DBS will throw a beam much farther than that.
The best way to really see how far a light can throw a beam is using it in a pitch black farmers field with no moonlight. I tried this with my Olight M20 R2 and lit up objects a good 800 ft away.
The DBS will out throw the M20 anyday.
You really appreciate a light in total darkness,using it in the city never does it justice.
The best way to really see how far a light can throw a beam is using it in a pitch black farmers field with no moonlight

That's very true, especially with LEDs. I was fairly impressed to see how much throw my old Inova XO TIROS had with only 30 lumnens or so, in total darkness in an open field. It's very different with Incans though, they don't get washed out so much by ambient light like LEDs...

But honestly... I don't think a DBS would be very useful past 200 meters-- even in total darkness (depends on how many lumens you want in your target though). That's HID/Searchlight territory.

Cthelight

Newly Enlightened
Currently the Streamlight Super Tac IS the best and brightest thrower. Period.....No Tiablo...no Raidfire..Olight Warrior...FenixTK anything

Streamlight SUPER TAC C-4

HKJ

Flashaholic
I believe that MaxaBlaster wins the throw contest. Mostly HID lights are not really thrower lights, they just put out so much light, that the big HID lights will win most thrower contest anyway (Except when a DEFT is involved). But when your get to more normal flashlights, the DBS is very good.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that MaxaBlaster wins the throw contest. Mostly HID lights are not really thrower lights, they just put out so much light, that the big HID lights will win most thrower contest anyway (Except when a DEFT is involved). But when your get to more normal flashlights, the DBS is very good.
I think Maxabeam throws even better...

crocodilo

Enlightened
Excuse my curiosity, but why would you want an EDC light that's such a specialized thrower? I tend to look at EDC more to the side of flexibility, reliability and portability. Such a thrower would, by definition, be unsuitable for close range, indoors, and probably unable of decent runtimes (unless it's a multimode, but even then the beam characteristics would suck at the before mentioned uses).

I'll admit some lights in my EDC rotation are decent throwers. The E2DL however has a nice low mode, and when I carry the C2+M60 I have to pair it with a BitZ (for close range flood and long runtime). YMMV, but my EDC use has a high percentage of close range work.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Currently the Streamlight Super Tac IS the best and brightest thrower. Period.....No Tiablo...no Raidfire..Olight Warrior...FenixTK anything

It does indeed have the tightest beam angle, it seems to outhrow them at ranges above 70 yards, below that range the other throwers SEEM to throw more because of their higher lumen output. I think I've mentioned that this thing's 135 OTF lm spanks the 150 lm of the Cree Task Force. It's all about lumens / lux / beam divergence. I wish Streamlight would release a version that drives the LED harder to get up to 200+ lumens as it would very easily and obviously destroy the others in throw, as it is, it gets 2.5 hours of relatively flat regulation plus an hour or so moonmode. I wouldn't mind seeing this drop to 1 hour flat + moonmode to get more lumens.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I think Maxabeam throws even better...

I do not believe so, the MaxaBlaster can throw a beam 10 km, but it is also a "one of a kind" light. And as I understand it, very useful if you need to get a suntan fast ;) (For more explanation: Read the story about how he build it).

1996alnl

Enlightened
I do not believe so, the MaxaBlaster can throw a beam 10 km, but it is also a "one of a kind" light. And as I understand it, very useful if you need to get a suntan fast ;) (For more explanation: Read the story about how he build it).

Did i read that correctly?
10,000m beam?That's not a light that's a weapon.
What's the cost of one of these bad boys?

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Excuse my curiosity, but why would you want an EDC light that's such a specialized thrower? I tend to look at EDC more to the side of flexibility, reliability and portability. Such a thrower would, by definition, be unsuitable for close range, indoors, and probably unable of decent runtimes (unless it's a multimode, but even then the beam characteristics would suck at the before mentioned uses).

I'll admit some lights in my EDC rotation are decent throwers. The E2DL however has a nice low mode, and when I carry the C2+M60 I have to pair it with a BitZ (for close range flood and long runtime). YMMV, but my EDC use has a high percentage of close range work.

Well, I carry a cheap RC-N3 Q5 for close range use, so I'm looking for a really good thrower.

All this talk about the DEFT and the Maxablaster/Maxabeam......those all are modified or homemade lights....which I'm sure are worth their weight in gold... I am interested in the farthest reaching LED flashlight that is mass produced and unmodified. My price limit is about $150 or less.

I appreciate all your guys help.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone tested the Super Tac on a lux meter next to a DBS, Spear, etc?