aaa light

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to waste yet more space on the server but i was wondering if anyone had any experience with this light from blacks http://www.blacks.co.uk/Gifts/3-for-2-Gifts/Ultralite-Torch/product/117692.aspx I was hoping to get a fenix lod or the new ld01 but my parents won't get me one with their cards and i would give them the money. Does anyone by any chance now how good the light from blacks is and if there is any good flashlight shop in aberdeen scotland that i could maby get something better. Thanks

Incase the link doesn't work here is the data on the blacks torch

One of the lightest and brightest torches around the Ultralite weighs just 20.5g with battery, and has a 0.5w Nichia LED that is up to seven times brighter than normal LED's. The Ultralite is water resistant, has a burn time of 1.5 hours and requires a single AAA battery. Also included with the Ultralite are a nylon pouch and neck strap and a removable clip and headstrap to convert it into a headtorch.
  • Ultralight
  • Compact
  • Weight: 20.5g
  • 0.5w Nichia LED
  • 1.5hr burn time
  • Requires 1 x AAA battery
  • Removable clip for headstrap
  • Nylon pouch
  • Neck strap
  • Water resistant

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't let you get a Fenix? That's too bad. I have no experience with the light you linked, but based on the specifications you listed, it sounds pretty inferior to the Fenix lights. Does anyone know if Lighthound will ship to Scotland?

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Sonic Blast,
First, you might tell us a bit of how you would like to use your new light. What made you choose the 1xAAA format? If it's for a keyring, there are less expensive alternatives than the Fenix LD01, many that are also bright and with multiple levels.

However I do think the Fenix LD01 is an excellent value, and if a 1xAAA light is what you are looking for then that would be a good one to get.

I can't say I've had any experience with the torch you linked to, but I can see that it's only one level, probably not very bright, and only runs for an hour and a half, more than likely dimming during that entire time.

The LD01 on the other hand is amazingly bright, will run for about an hour at the brightest setting and about 8 hours on it's lowest setting...... and it will stay at the same brightness level for most of that runtime, only dropping into moon mode toward the end of the battery's useful life.

Personally I've found it's better to go ahead and save my money, then pay a little more and purchase a quality light right from the start. Don't give up, stick to your guns and figure out a way to get the Fenix..... it's worth the effort!

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
Well i need a replacement light for general closeup outdoor use and am looking for a light to replace my fenix l2D I already have a T1 And a Tk11 But those eat my cr123's too quickly and i don't like the rechargable Lithium cells too much. Seen as I have loads of rechargable aaa bateries and would like something powerfull but small to acompany my tk11 in edc i thought aaa was the way to go.

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
Parents agreed to get them for me then i paid them back, or i bought them off my m8s. They probubly think i have too many, but you can never have too many lights :naughty: even though now i am down to 2 fenix's two led lensers and three maglites. Btw I would rather have multiple outputs

Last edited:

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
Great News my parents told me yesterday that the reason they wouldn't order meone is that they were going to buy me one for christmas and the only reason they told me was because They didn't know whether to get me the special eddition or not so i get to pick. :twothumbs

JBorneu

Enlightened
You have the coolest parents. Enjoy your new light when you get it.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that is fine news indeed. Do consider that the SS version is twice as heavy as the black aluminum version. That could make a big difference if you are planning on putting it on your keyring.

On the other hand, many folks enjoy the extra solidity afforded by the stainless steel casing. Personally I found the black version to be quite a nice weight, and I feel the aluminum probably transfers heat away from the LED a bit better..... but that's just me.

Which ever one you choose I'm sure you will enjoy your new light. Happy holidays!

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that is fine news indeed. Do consider that the SS version is twice as heavy as the black aluminum version. That could make a big difference if you are planning on putting it on your keyring.

On the other hand, many folks enjoy the extra solidity afforded by the stainless steel casing. Personally I found the black version to be quite a nice weight, and I feel the aluminum probably transfers heat away from the LED a bit better..... but that's just me.

Which ever one you choose I'm sure you will enjoy your new light. Happy holidays!
It's a good point; the SS is heavier. Beyond this negative, though, I like the SS more than my aluminum version. It's more solid, more beautiful to look at and more durable. :)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there any performance difference between them? Thanks.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
CPF tradition...tell them you want BOTH..haha Just kidding, ...well, not really. Glad you will get what you want. I have an LOD and it is impressive.

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
Great News my parents told me yesterday that the reason they wouldn't order meone is that they were going to buy me one for christmas and the only reason they told me was because They didn't know whether to get me the special eddition or not so i get to pick. :twothumbs
Good deal. Congratulations!