TerraLUX TLE-5EX / LED Maglite

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to decide whether to upgrade my 2AA Mini Maglite using TerraLUX TLE-5EX or to get a LED Mini Maglite. Please assist with the below:

1) How many lumens is a 2AA Incandescent Mini Maglite?
2) How many lumens is a 2AA LED Mini Maglite?
3) How many lumens is a 3AA Mini Maglite?
4) What type of LED does the LED Mini Maglite use?
5) What would you recommend, TerraLUX TLE-5EX or LED Maglite

Thanks.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
I am trying to decide whether to upgrade my 2AA Mini Maglite using TerraLUX TLE-5EX or to get a LED Mini Maglite. Please assist with the below:

1) How many lumens is a 2AA Incandescent Mini Maglite?
2) How many lumens is a 2AA LED Mini Maglite?
3) How many lumens is a 3AA Mini Maglite?
4) What type of LED does the LED Mini Maglite use?
5) What would you recommend, TerraLUX TLE-5EX or LED Maglite

Thanks.

1. I'm going to guess 15 lumens
2. I'm going to guess 40 lumens
3. ~40 lumens
4. Not sure
5. TLE-5EX - I have one, it's rated 140 lumens, but looks more like 100 lumens, still better than the stock LED Minimag.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Check this thread for a list of Maglite drop-ins.

1. Around 9-10 lumen
2. Around 35-40 lumen
3. Around 55 lumen
(none of the LED Maglites have decent heatsinking, the LEDs are probably not going to last as long as they should)
4. Luxeon III, swapping in a current gen LED will double the output while keeping the same runtime.
5. Neither, Romisen RC-N3. It should outlumen or at least out throw all the above mentioned lights. If you want to choose between the MinimgaLED and the drop-in, go for the drop-in.

Lumen figures are calculated from Flashlightreview's numbers.

:welcome:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy gsgtsg and welcome to CPF,
Hey, you are just in time. CPF member selfbuilt recently posted another in his series of incredibly wonderful comparison reviews..... this time comparing many of the top 2xAA lights available today.

Check it out here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=214890

And here is another very nice flashlight review site that also has quite a helpful comparison function, letting you compare up to 3 lights side by side:
http://www.light-reviews.com/

And if that isn't enough to get your mind going..... be sure and check out the fact filled "Welcome Mat" page which has tons of links to everything you ever wanted to know about flashlights:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172991

Happy hunting..... and happy holidays!

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome and the replies - these links are great for general info. Any further opinions would be appreciate.

I am also considering the Fenix PD30, any views on that.

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome and the replies - these links are great for general info. Any further opinions would be appreciate.

I am also considering the Fenix PD30, any views on that.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
howdy, did you get anywhere with this ? i too cant decide between fitting the terralux tle-5ex upgrade to my old faithful or getting a new magled - they work out to the same price ! ?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Terralux would be brighter then the MagLED. The MagLED uses a previous generation LED, the Luxeon III. Swapping in a current generation LED, the Seoul P4 works best, will double the output for the same runtime.

I'd suggest getting neither and looking for another 2AA light like the Romisen RC-N3.

vickers214

Enlightened
I have just recently purchased the Tle 5ex upgrade and terralux click switch (which is very good) both mods cost me about £20, and i believe it is the cree chip advertised as 140 lumens.
to be honest i am very dissapointed with it, true it has turned the Mini mag in to something that actually emmits light, but it does not focus anymore, unless you class a hole in the middle of the light getting bigger as focus, it will light my 30'X30' back garden up as a flood light but has no beam center for detailed rendition of anything (unless very close up) and i cannot see how this so called upgrade could be better than a stock mini mag led, which would have been cheaper?

any advice on how to make it better? and i also have the head only screwing on about 2 turns problem, think im gonna use it as a bike light!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
it does not focus anymore, unless you class a hole in the middle of the light getting bigger as focus

That much despised donut hole pattern is what all Maglites have.

I don't even bother with the Maglite focusing feature because of it and I just leave my Mini-Mag with the TLE-5EX on the tightest beam setting.