Zebralight H60: How Waterproof Is It?

julian_esposito

Newly Enlightened
Hi All!

Today I received my Zebralight H60. I am very happy with it. I still have not tried it at night, because there hasn't been one till now.

Anyway, the specifications state that the light is waterproof to IP68. I tried researching what this boils down to in practical terms, but have not managed to come to a conclusion.

Basically can I go swimming/snorkelling/shallow diving on breath only approx 5 metres max (no aqualungs) with it or is it just waterproof to rain, falling in the sink etc?

Thanks for your time,
Julian.

julian_esposito

Newly Enlightened
Hello.

Thanks for your reply. I had read that page already, but from it one cannot conclude the actual safe limits of the Zebralight since anything over 1m in depth depends on the recommendation of the manufacturer. I'd like to hear the actual experiences from Zebralight owners, not necessarily H60 but other HXXs. Anybody dived with them?

Thanks again,
Julian.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I don't think anyone is "diving" with their Zebralights since they just aren't designed for it. Even if someone else's light survived a 5 meter dip it doesn't mean that yours will. Keep your light shallower than a couple of meters and live life happily. :)

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
They are not dive rated lights. They define their IP68 as 1m for >30 minutes. Lights with rubber boot switches generally cannot go deep at all before they switch becomes nonfunctional or erratic.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
For me, gear with this waterproof rating is suitable for use in the rain and will survive a quick dunking if dropped in a stream.

noelex

Newly Enlightened
A little bit of silicon grease on the o rings helps the seal.

Illum

Flashaholic
All too often we are too reliant on the IPX static pressure tests...a good dunk will tell you more than the "standard projected depth"

Not sure about the zebralite models that has the rubber boot clicky switches but my experience on the H50 as long as its engaged and the tailcap is not turned underwater...it can stay submerged in a 10 foot pool and still be dry as bones on the inside [with a thick coat of nyogel 760G of course :)]

typically a thick coat of anything will ozze over the body contacts, outside the threads and sometimes directly onto the battery, but if your using the light in outdoor conditions extra lube is better than none