Olight Titanium First Look (w/Pictures)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my light this morning and for those wanting a peak I took a few random pictures.

The light works as described, no hiccups with the interface. Ramps up / down and memorizes settings perfectly. EDIT: I would also like to say that this is the easiest UI. If you are looking for a light with one mode but want the ability to set brightness levels this light is it. Unscrew the light head one quarter turn, the light ramps up / down. When it reaches the brightness level you want then tighten the head. That is it. It memorizes the setting and each time you turn the light on you get your setting.

The spot, beam profile and tint are good. There are of course the Cree infamous rings but they are just as well controlled as on most lights.

The light appears brighter than my PD20 at 180 lumens but it is daytime here so no beam shots yet, ( except for a white wall shot)

Very nice looking light. There are machining marks that are visible but nothing that shouldn't be hard to remove with a little metal polish if one desires. As you can see by the photograph the light is gorgous and the marks don't bother me.

All in all I am very happy and believe Olight done a good job and represented this light fairly. I'm actually thinking about purchasing another one.

Bill
20081218titanium0002zn2.jpg

20081218titanium0001of5.jpg

20081218titanium0004dc5.jpg

20081218titanium0005fd4.jpg

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice report and very nice pics
maybe i'll get mine today or tomarrow

+1! I just checked delivery confirmation and the light should be there today when I get home! Now, it is too bad I am obsessive.:eek: This light will probably become a shelf queen and needs to look perfect.

Is there a special polish for titanium? I have used Mother's metal polish on aluminum mag wheels with good results, but I don't know if there is a better polish more suited for titanium. Any suggestions?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1! I just checked delivery confirmation and the light should be there today when I get home! Now, it is too bad I am obsessive.:eek: This light will probably become a shelf queen and needs to look perfect.

Is there a special polish for titanium? I have used Mother's metal polish on aluminum mag wheels with good results, but I don't know if there is a better polish more suited for titanium. Any suggestions?

I use Simichrome Polish. It is made in Germany but sold in the U.S. It is the best polish I've used for "any" kind of metal. It is not an aggressive polish however. I use it for a mirror finish on gold, SS, aluminum, etc......I don't see why it would not work on Titanium.

Bill

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
Gorgeous light! Is it noticeable lighter in hand compared to the NDI you have? Also, am I correct in assuming tailcap lockout is not possible?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gorgeous light! Is it noticeable lighter in hand compared to the NDI you have? Also, am I correct in assuming tailcap lockout is not possible?

Titanium is 60% heavier than Aluminum, but it is also twice as strong. So it is heavier than the NDI.

The light does not lock out. Actually I'm a little disappointed about that, didn't notice until you brought it up. Not a deal breaker though.

Bill

JML

Enlightened
Actually, Simichrome is one of the more aggressive metal polishes out there. Flitz is much less aggressive, and contains no abrasives.

Most metal polishes combine chemical action and abrasive content.

Regardless, make sure you use cloths that are new & clean, and are 100% pure cotton flannel, for the best results, and change cloths frequently.

Toaster

Enlightened
Doh, for some reason I was thinking Ti weighed less than Al. Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to a full review of this light :thumbsup:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Simichrome is one of the more aggressive metal polishes out there. Flitz is much less aggressive, and contains no abrasives.

Most metal polishes combine chemical action and abrasive content.

Regardless, make sure you use cloths that are new & clean, and are 100% pure cotton flannel, for the best results, and change cloths frequently.

Your right, everything is relative I guess. Flitz is less aggressive but it won't remove scratches as effectively as Simichrome. It does however also provide a mirror finish.

Thanks

Bill

JML

Enlightened
#62 arrived. See here for what I did to remove any lingering machining marks, but keeping the satin brushed finish.

Many hardware and auto parts stores carry Flitz and/or Simichrome.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh, for some reason I was thinking Ti weighed less than Al. Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to a full review of this light :thumbsup:

Ti weighs less than it looks - cause it looks like stainless steel, but is noticeably lighter than that. It is often lighter than aluminium in various applications because it is stronger, therefore thinner Ti is used than the equivalent part in Al would be.

The light looks nice, I can't wait for mine to arrive - mmmmm, shiny :drool:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
#62 arrived. See here for what I did to remove any lingering machining marks, but keeping the satin brushed finish.

Many hardware and auto parts stores carry Flitz and/or Simichrome.

Did you get the micromesh 3200 grit sandpandpaper at the autoparts store? Does that actually remove the scratches, or do you first remove the scratches with the Simichrome and then restore the brush finish with the sandpaper?

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
I use Simichrome Polish. It is made in Germany but sold in the U.S. It is the best polish I've used for "any" kind of metal. It is not an aggressive polish however. I use it for a mirror finish on gold, SS, aluminum, etc......I don't see why it would not work on Titanium.

Bill

Great for knife blades also.

Thanks for the pics Bill. Hopefully mine will get here soon also.

Beatiful light.

Ratton

Newly Enlightened
Hi There,

Mine was here when I got home tonight. It is number 45, one of my favorite numbers so I am very happy, and it came with the red filter. It comes in a sealed, nice little presentation box.

I quickly popped in a fresh 123A and was prepared to lube the threads, but they were nicely lubed. Now the instructions say: "Two brief flashes indicate that the Infinitum is at maximum or minimum output",when you are adjusting the output, but mine doesn't. It ramps up or down very quickly, about 5 seconds, and stops there; loosen the bezel and it will ramp in the opposite direction and stop at the end of brightness or dimness. I don't find this a problem and I actually prefer this as soon as I realized what it was doing.

I am still playing with it and learning what it will do, but so far so good; I am a happy camper with my new Christmas gift to me!!!!! :thumbsup: :twothumbs

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi There,

Now the instructions say: "Two brief flashes indicate that the Infinitum is at maximum or minimum output",when you are adjusting the output, but mine doesn't. It ramps up or down very quickly, about 5 seconds, and stops there; loosen the bezel and it will ramp in the opposite direction and stop at the end of brightness or dimness. I don't find this a problem and I actually prefer this as soon as I realized what it was doing.

MattK said this was changed. The two flashes at the end of the ramp are gone. I don't really think they were needed and I don't miss them.

Bill

JML

Enlightened
Did you get the micromesh 3200 grit sandpandpaper at the autoparts store? Does that actually remove the scratches, or do you first remove the scratches with the Simichrome and then restore the brush finish with the sandpaper?

https://www.micro-surface.com is the manufacturer's site. You can get the flexible fabric-backed sandpapers from them, or from hobby sites or hobby shops (it's often sold in small squares of various sizes). This is far superior to any other kind of sandpaper, and the grits are far finer. The 3200 grit paper from MicroMesh is like using a 1200 grit "regular" wet-or-dry sandpaper, but it works much better on curved surfaces. You use the sandpaper first, and when you have the satin brushed finish the way you like, you can clean any abrasive from the surface and then use a small bit of metal polish to shine it up a bit.

I use these materials to restore brushed finishes on watches and things like that. Works better than scratch brushes or power tools, IMHO. A mirror-polished surface will show every tiny mark, and is hard to keep and restore; that's why you often see brushed finishes on stainless steel watches, pens, etc.

Titanium bicycle frames can have a similar finish -- and they use a Scotchbrite-type material to provide the brushed finish.