Just received an LD01

Eagleout

Newly Enlightened
I upgraded my keychain EDC from an E1 to an LD01 and what a difference! I love having three levels of illumination, and the high power is simply amazing for a AAA light.

But the top twists very easily and I'm afraid it will turn on in my pocket. My E1 had a very firm twist to it and I have not had it turn on accidentally.

Is there a way to firm-up the twisting action on an LD01? I've already tried cleaning the lube from the threads.

BTW, I was sent an L1T by mistake but what a fine AA that is. Wonderful beam!

Thanks-

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the replacement O ring supplied, or any correctly sized O ring that's a hair wider than the current should add some turning resistance :thumbsup:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I upgraded my keychain EDC from an E1 to an LD01 and what a difference! I love having three levels of illumination, and the high power is simply amazing for a AAA light.

But the top twists very easily and I'm afraid it will turn on in my pocket. My E1 had a very firm twist to it and I have not had it turn on accidentally.

Is there a way to firm-up the twisting action on an LD01? I've already tried cleaning the lube from the threads.

BTW, I was sent an L1T by mistake but what a fine AA that is. Wonderful beam!

Thanks-
Try a thicker lube. That normally can stiffen up the action.

Good luck with it.

James...

lebox97

Enlightened
or remove the lube all together. :shrug:

I cleaned mine completely off the threads (of all my twisties) inside and out - then sparingly reapplied just a small amount on the ring itself so it doesn't bind up.

a buddy of mine went for a hike once and when it started to get dark reached for his twisty - and all he had hanging from his belt loop was an empty body - no head :scowl::mecry: (this is why I carry my lights in my pocket or pouch!)

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second changing the o'ring. I have the spares from my earlier L0... range lights and when I get a new Fenix I swap the rings over till I get just the right amount of resistance. Even ones that look identical can be quite different when fitted.

Eagleout

Newly Enlightened
You're right about the o-ring. Using the spare made all the difference in twist resistance.

I'm a happy man. :party:

Thanks-

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there a way to firm-up the twisting action on an LD01? -

Have you considered the MicroStream-LOD conversion?
it's a $15 light, an incredible value AND you can take the MicroStream LED and add it to the Fenix LOD twisty body!!! That means TWO lights!:twothumbs

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my wife an E01 and after reading this post and checking out the LD01 again, I realize that it is almost the same size. The LD01 is a little longer and double the weight (no big deal) so I think I'm going to buy it for her. It certainly seems like the additional output will be well worth the money!

Do you find yourself using the LD01 a lot more b/c of how much brighter it is?

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
Ahhh!! I have to seriously stay away from this site for a couple months...I just bought it (and got the Nitecore D20 at 25% off):grin2:. I'll have to remember to swap out the oring when it comes in...

Eagleout

Newly Enlightened

Yep. My E1 is a fine light with much more output than my stingy (but well built) ARC AAA. But the high setting of the LD01 is something you just gotta see for yourself. It's high enough for just about any application I have, and the low settings are just right for "around the house" needs. The UI is simplicity in itself, and has a very smooth beam and useful spill.

I have no doubt the performance of this light will be surpassed in a year or so, but for now it's just about perfect for me.

D350Diesel

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my wife an E01 and after reading this post and checking out the LD01 again, I realize that it is almost the same size. The LD01 is a little longer and double the weight (no big deal) so I think I'm going to buy it for her. It certainly seems like the additional output will be well worth the money!

My LD01 is pretty much the only flashlight I use. It's on my keys so it's always convenient, and it's bright enough for most things short of headlighting deer. :) When I had an E01 I always found myself thinking "If only this were a little brighter..." I don't have that problem with the LD01.