Looking for a really robust puck led light

svseller

Newly Enlightened
I bought some of those puck LED lights at Costco, but we keep dropping them and they keep breaking.

Thoughts on who makes a high quality puck light that doesn't break when dropped?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What do you use the light for?
Also, what brand are they?
How do they break(You can probably save the LEDs)?

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations.

:welcome:

svseller

Newly Enlightened
I use the lights for finding my way around the house at night and also for feeding babies but not to turn a super bright light on at night and leave on a dresser

Brand - don't know, got at Costco

How they break - when you drop them, the mechanism to turn on is to press the puck. The lens pushes down on something that clicks, and that mechanism breaks (plus I can't get the lens back on!)

Price isn't a huge issue, but do not really want a flashlight for this

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd probably be very well served by a Photon Freedom Keychain light - plent of light to navigate around a dark house, almost impossible to break (you could probably throw it into a wall repeatedly) and the clip/lanyard etc accessories will be convenient when feeding the baby.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How much are you willing to pay?

A good keychain light, headlamp, or clip light/angle light might work too.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sylvania makes another "Puck" light besides the "Dot-it" that uses a Osram Golden Dragon. It's made of aluminum I believe.

They're steel, that's how the magnetic base works.

I've never dropped mine but I think they should be alright a few times.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're steel, that's how the magnetic base works.

I've never dropped mine but I think they should be alright a few times.

Thanks for clearing it up. I just played with one at my local hardware store and it was stuck to a display. The light and beam still looks pretty good.

DaveG

Enlightened
That Sylvania metal Golden Dragon may be more light than you need in the middle of the night.It has high-low -off,the high will kill your night vision,plus it may really wake up your baby?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that i gets used in the hallway.......nice and bright and it is metal......I got it at my local grocery store in the lightbulb isle.:twothumbs

p1040395cu1.jpg

p1040394xq0.jpg

Rattlebars

Newly Enlightened
I just picked the Sylvania Golden Dragon up at Walmart for about $12 after you pay the governor. The name "Golden Dragon" caught my eye and the emitter looks about the same as my NiteCore EX10 but smaller behind a fluted lens. This pic is by no means "expert" but the Sylvania Golden Dragon on high is here compared to my Fenix P1D CE on medium (72 lumens).

This puck is just what I was looking for to light up my shed. There is a magnet that sticks with sticky stuff and the puck hangs from the magnet. Easily removable to use as a flashlight. Has three modes - high, low and off with a wave of the hand. You must get close to the sensor which is good. You don't want to have it sensing when you are moving around in the shed. This will easily light up a 10 x 10 room sitting on a table. If you forget to turn it off, it shuts itself down in 1 hour.

I'm happy. :thumbsup: Good little light for the price - batteries included!
g-dragon.jpg

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine gets used often and it works great, but the only thing i hate is the automatic shutoff timer....wish they came out with one that didnt have that feature.

Rattlebars

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I did not find a white one like yours, mine is "natural" and looks aluminum but it's just paint. Quite bright tho.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Thanks for pointing these out! I have seen the Costco variety but this Sylvania looks awesome!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I just picked the Sylvania Golden Dragon up at Walmart for about $12 after you pay the governor. The name "Golden Dragon" caught my eye and the emitter looks about the same as my NiteCore EX10 but smaller behind a fluted lens. This pic is by no means "expert" but the Sylvania Golden Dragon on high is here compared to my Fenix P1D CE on medium (72 lumens).

This puck is just what I was looking for to light up my shed. There is a magnet that sticks with sticky stuff and the puck hangs from the magnet. Easily removable to use as a flashlight. Has three modes - high, low and off with a wave of the hand. You must get close to the sensor which is good. You don't want to have it sensing when you are moving around in the shed. This will easily light up a 10 x 10 room sitting on a table. If you forget to turn it off, it shuts itself down in 1 hour.

I'm happy. :thumbsup: Good little light for the price - batteries included!
g-dragon.jpg

I bought a 3 pack from Sams Club of that very thing.
I keep one on the computer desk waiting for a blackout.
I tore one apart. Used the emitter in 1 light and used the diffused optic in a SMJLED minimag. The optic is pretty good!
I sold the last one.

Pretty neat item. Put the magnet under your t-shirt and walk around wearing the light on your chest! :tinfoil:

The OP might enjoy a milky candle since this puck light is quite bright.

Rattlebars

Newly Enlightened
Pretty neat item. Put the magnet under your t-shirt and walk around wearing the light on your chest! :tinfoil:

Great idea! :twothumbs But due to the metal plate I have in my head.... no, honest - I Geocache and I have a "jungle" hat onto which I attach my external antenna (1" x 1" like an XM mini) for my Magellan GPS. To do this, I have a 16 gauge steel plate fabricated that has foam on the back. I put the plate under the top of the hat and put the mag antenna on the top..... Yeah, I know. I've been laughed :hahaha:at quite often as you can imagine, but I have found many many caches before others have with that set up.

I did not see these items at our Sams, but I was in a different store than where I usually shop. Will look for the pack of three next time there.

Last edited: