Looking for a 2x123a light

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My quest for the perfect 2 cell light continues. Inforce turned out to be a nightmare with its nonavaliability. I'm going to give it another month, but I'm making next step plans since I need something now for ski belt carry. I haven't been paying attention to new development lately so I'm not familiar with what's on the market currently.

So here are the criterias

*2x123a (rechargeable not necessary)
*multilevel, forward switch, either clickie or twistie
*150+ lumens on high with new generation emitter (although nice to have, latest bin is not necessary)
*relatively throwy but still have regular sized head
*not too bulky/heavy, I had a fenix T1 but feel it's just bulky for the sake of being bulky, rather than functional. The new Tk10 seems to be the same.
*not too skinny either, it needs to be operated with ski gloves on.
*good warrenty, preferrably from a established company that won't just disappear someday.
*under $200

Last edited:

wesinator

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking around and the P3D premium Q5 is the best looking light i've seen so far. its super bright and the battery lasts quite some time on the low setting. i don't own one my self but i've heard its only downfall is its throw, it doesn't throw super far, but it has a pretty good spill. i'de say for 60 buck the P3D Q5 is your best bet.

mdocod

Flashaholic
eagletac P10C2, maybe T10C2 which is a little bulkier... The P10C2 sounds to me like it would probably fit the bill fairly well. It's a clicker on the back and a bezel twist to change modes on them IIRC. The T would have the throw you are looking for...

Alternatively... Pick a SF 2xCR123 body that you like, and drop in a 2+ mode D26 module from somewhere. Most of the D26 LED modules I have seen are geared for as much throw as possible within that size reflector...

Eric

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire E2DL should fit the bill nicely. It's 'only' rated at 120L but we tested one at over 160L in an integrating sphere recently. Multilevel forward clicky, throwy, small head, slim body, made by the most reputable flashlight company in the world - and under your budget.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold out for the Inova Inforce Color. I just received mine from a purchase that I made on CPF Marketplace and it is just freakin' great! I really mean it! My initial impressions on this thing are that it is the cats meow.

I have been loving McGizmo's Luna Sol 20 because of it's option of a low floody artifact free beam for up close work and the high beam for other requirements and it made me want more lights that have the capability of the 2 different beam types. Along comes the Inova and it has the same capabilities w/the option to use 3 different brightness levels for each of the different beam types... Throw in the 3 other colors besides white and... whew... you get a tremendous light!

I am so happy with it right now that I can't quite explain it all. I haven't had it long enough to see if there are any glitches or if there is another problem like, poor runtimes or something like that; but right now... it is a winner in my book; well worth the asking price as it does what no other light can today (including the Kroma).

The high beam is tightly focused and very useful for medium to long range work.

Oh yeah, the tint on the floody white setting is outstanding.

Did I mention that I love this light right now?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you planning to use RCR123 or Primaries... or both?

Primary only, forgot to mention that.

A Surefire E2DL should fit the bill nicely. It's 'only' rated at 120L but we tested one at over 160L in an integrating sphere recently. Multilevel forward clicky, throwy, small head, slim body, made by the most reputable flashlight company in the world - and under your budget.

I thought about that, but worried about the spikes wear through holster eventually, and hurt a lot if I fall on it (which will happen I'm sure).

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I thought about that, but worried about the spikes wear through holster eventually, and hurt a lot if I fall on it (which will happen I'm sure).

The only "issue" I had with the E2D was when it was carried in my front pocked and... Um, the light wasn't positioned correctly. :crazy:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they're likely to wear through a holster and I cannot imagine any hard tube 6-7 inches long is gonna feel good to fall on. OW!

The Olight M20 also meets your requirements and it's a little bit lighter (and brighter) than a TK10/TK11 but still plenty durable. It too has a strike bezel but it's easily removed.

The only "issue" I had with the E2D was when it was carried in my front pocked and... Um, the light wasn't positioned correctly. :crazy:

Is that a flashlight in your pocket or.... :p

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup:

So how sharp are the spikes? How wide is the ridge on bezel and tailcap? I've never handled E2D.

I would not call them sharp. Just uncomfortable under certain circumstances. :grin2:

That was the original E2D. Not the E2DL so I can't comment on the E2DL "spikes". I plan on getting the LED version after the first of the year.

On a side note, I have had several different brands of lights but always seem to go right back to the SF's after the newness has worn off of the other lights. I really prefer the one or two mode simple interface on most Surefire's over the multi-mode of what seems to be most other lights on the market today. My favorite small light is the E01 and soon (hopefully) the MAKO.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple more questions. Does the switch on eagletac on par with ones from say streamlight or more similar to fenix's T? The T1 I had switch feels kinda flimsy and takes too much push to activate momentary. What's the warrenty on eagletac? I couldn't find anything on eagletac-store.com.

Also does Olight still have their "electronics not included" lifetime warrenty, or has it been changed?

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight's warranty was significantly upgraded a while back and now covers the electronics.
Basically its a limited lifetime warranty - everything is covered for 18 months and after that labor is covered and parts may be charged.

Link to details: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2204335#post2204335

Thanks, that sound a lot better. Always thought the orginal warrenty is like buying a new car without engine warrenty. Some dealers still have the old warrenty listed so it's a little confusing.

SunStar

Enlightened
One can always install an F04 over the spikes of the E2DL and the discomfort issues are eliminated plus it converts the E2DL into a flood monster.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I ended up not getting E2DL. Got a T10C2 instead, consider it's less than half the price of E2DL it's pretty attractive, I'll see how I like it and make a thread about it.

I'll be carrying it for night skiing and keep waiting for Inova. Thanks for all the suggestions!