Woohoo! Class will finally be interesting...

kuksul08

Enlightened
This is part of the syllabus to one of my classes this quarter :D

I guess we know what sections I will pay attention to.

IMG_2153Medium.jpg

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
heck, all of that stuff is fun!
The only downside is that you'll spend so little time on each subject that you won't get much out of it. Of course, it could whet your interest enough to go seek out a full course on the interesting bits. I've had a full semester class on filters, both active and passive. Amazing stuff. :)

A good class on semiconductor physics is pretty amazing stuff too, but can be intense. Depends on whether the physics or EE dept teaches it. I definitely recommend getting it from the EE guys. Much more applicable.

A good chapter on semiconductors might be enough for most folks though. It's important to understand what's going on inside, if only to understand why all the non-ideal behavior happens.

have fun with the class! I hope you have some labs to go with it.

regards,
Steve K.
(BSEE and MSEE)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
quarter system.... Berkley, cal poly, stanford?

Enjoy the rest of your college career. it'll be the only time in your engineering career where you can purely focus on design and don't have to worry about cost management, customer perception/quality, time to market, and corporate politics.

Actually looking back at my time at SJSU (BSME), being in "the valley" with a lot of corporate sponsorship, and part time professors in local tech industries... a lot of our projects were heavily focused on cost management and "big business", thats an engineering discipline I think a lot of other universities turn a cold shoulder to.

o my.. its 10:15... I got to get back to work!! Sssh don't tell anyone.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking Kate Bekinsale was going to be lecturing in her Underworld outfit. :D

It helps when the you enjoy the subject. My grades and comprehension were obvious for the subjects I liked. :thumbsup: The cute gal that sat next to me helped too...I didn't want her to think I was lacking in brain power. ;)

balou

Enlightened
they spelled Karnaugh maps wrong ;)
that's also about the only thing I had in class... I'm studying CS and not EE.

Btw, I'm doing Analysis, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math and Introduction to programming right now. Boooooooring... but yeah, luckily it'll get more interesting next year.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on RA40. I was expecting "Jessica Biel" or "Kari Byron" as a guest speaker for the topic of "Practical Applications of Transisiting and Amplifying my Diodes" lol j/k :)

Good luck! I liked science/math during my jr high/high school days (was expected to go to MIT or Cal Tech) but ended up doing what I wanted and now ~7 years after graduating hs, I got my BA in psychology (clinical specific.) Reason psychology? The eye candy :)

kuksul08

Enlightened
heck, all of that stuff is fun!
The only downside is that you'll spend so little time on each subject that you won't get much out of it. Of course, it could whet your interest enough to go seek out a full course on the interesting bits. I've had a full semester class on filters, both active and passive. Amazing stuff. :)

A good class on semiconductor physics is pretty amazing stuff too, but can be intense. Depends on whether the physics or EE dept teaches it. I definitely recommend getting it from the EE guys. Much more applicable.

A good chapter on semiconductors might be enough for most folks though. It's important to understand what's going on inside, if only to understand why all the non-ideal behavior happens.

have fun with the class! I hope you have some labs to go with it.

regards,
Steve K.
(BSEE and MSEE)

Yeah, very true. We are going through this stuff so quickly, and we are currently only studying ideal cases. Since I'm not an EE, they don't go into a lot of depth, but instead just summarize what they do, and how to find inputs/outputs.

quarter system.... Berkley, cal poly, stanford?

Enjoy the rest of your college career. it'll be the only time in your engineering career where you can purely focus on design and don't have to worry about cost management, customer perception/quality, time to market, and corporate politics.

Actually looking back at my time at SJSU (BSME), being in "the valley" with a lot of corporate sponsorship, and part time professors in local tech industries... a lot of our projects were heavily focused on cost management and "big business", thats an engineering discipline I think a lot of other universities turn a cold shoulder to.

o my.. its 10:15... I got to get back to work!! Sssh don't tell anyone.

:laughing: Yeah, I'm BSME at cal poly. I've had a couple internships already so I have a lot of insight on how the real engineering world works. In my opinion, school only takes you half way (25% from knowledge, 25% from having a degree), and most of it is common sense/judgement skills.

When deciding on colleges I applied to SJSU and cal poly. I got a $20k scholarship to sjsu but decided to go with cal poly. I mostly like it so far :p

they spelled Karnaugh maps wrong ;)
that's also about the only thing I had in class... I'm studying CS and not EE.

Btw, I'm doing Analysis, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math and Introduction to programming right now. Boooooooring... but yeah, luckily it'll get more interesting next year.

Ohh man I have friends in CPE and EE... good luck! :wave:

kuksul08

Enlightened
Damn... this teacher sucks. I don't even know what's going on. We went through low pass, high pass, and band pass filters in about 10 minutes. I don't even know how they work, just the equations to use, and what it's called. It's upsetting because I really want to learn how it all works, its applications, advantages/disadvantages :(

We already are done with Op Amps and I don't even know what it is haha. Some kind of transformer for DC current???

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it an intro class or survey course? They usually just breeze though things that you'll probably wind up going over in more depth in another class. I could be wrong though. I'm a psych major myself. But that's generally how things have panned out so far for me. I'm not an electrical engineering major, although I wish I had been. It's a bit late for me to be switching majors now though.:oops:
I dunno, if you like it, hang in there and see how you do on the midterm. Usually the pace of the course is reflected in the exam. Even so, it helps to know when the last drop date is though, just in case. But I'm sure once you've taken a few courses most of it will be old hat.

kuksul08

Enlightened
Is it an intro class or survey course? They usually just breeze though things that you'll probably wind up going over in more depth in another class. I could be wrong though. I'm a psych major myself. But that's generally how things have panned out so far for me. I'm not an electrical engineering major, although I wish I had been. It's a bit late for me to be switching majors now though.:oops:
I dunno, if you like it, hang in there and see how you do on the midterm. Usually the pace of the course is reflected in the exam. Even so, it helps to know when the last drop date is though, just in case. But I'm sure once you've taken a few courses most of it will be old hat.

It's actually supposed to be the continuation of the first class, which was all about resistors, capacitors, voltage/current dividers...all the basics. I don't really have a choice whether or not to take it, but I took this teacher because I had him last quarter and he did alright. :duh2: