Split ring for the Aeon?

vb14

Newly Enlightened
I tried to put a titanium mcgizmo clip in the split ring of the Aeon, and the split ring opened too much sideways. I can't get it back to its original shape. Anyone knows where can I get a titanium or stainless steel split ring for this light?

Thanks.

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm interested in this also, but only my issue is the cutting edge of the ring is backwards, so the edge acts like a shear to any nylon string thats attached to it turing lanyard ends to frays:shakehead

JML

Enlightened
Ti doesn't have the "memory" that spring steel or stainless will have in this application. Lighthound sells small stainless steel split rings in various sizes (these are stainless rings that are properly bent to recess the cut ends, and not simply wound wire).

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Ti doesn't have the "memory" that spring steel or stainless will have in this application.

Yup. I bought the Ti ones from uniquetitanium but messed it up when I attached the Mcgizmo clip to it. I attached the split ring to the clip and to the light simultaneously. Well, I opened too much and it didn't return to its original form. When I removed the clip, that's when I noticed it's a tad too big for the Aeon too. I'm now thinking of going back to the original setup with the split ring attached to the light, and hooking the clip to it.

I've been carrying this light as a pendant using a ss snake chain. So far so good, until I thought of adding the clip so I can remove the light easily if I wanted to.

I'll try the ss of uniquetitanium and lighthound. Just wondering if anyone actually got theirs replaced so I won't have to do trial and error.

Thanks.

Thanks.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I tried to put a titanium mcgizmo clip in the split ring of the Aeon, and the split ring opened too much sideways. I can't get it back to its original shape. Anyone knows where can I get a titanium or stainless steel split ring for this light?

Thanks.
You can use a pair of pliers to turn deformed split rings "inside out". Just grab the split ring with the pliers and twist so that the end that is "on top" is moved onto the "bottom" of the ring. Work your way around the ring like that and you'll have the old "top" side now being on the "bottom".

vb14

Newly Enlightened
The Aeon takes the same size ring as the CR2 Ion. There was a thread here about the size and source for these rings.

Thanks! Just placed an order for the .542" ones
You can use a pair of pliers to turn deformed split rings "inside out". Just grab the split ring with the pliers and twist so that the end that is "on top" is moved onto the "bottom" of the ring. Work your way around the ring like that and you'll have the old "top" side now being on the "bottom".

I should have tried this before throwing out both split rings away. This is nice to know though. Thanks.

Thanks for everybody's help!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting I did not notice this small flaw. I used split-ring pliers to carefully remove the ring, but I noticed it had already lost some of it's spring. Then I used the demel to remove the sharp edges from the cuts (wow those were really sharp). I turned the ring inside out, but then the flat side was out the outside, and it looked a bit funky... it was tight though... then I twisted it back again so the flat side was inside and the ring was back to normal and very tight. It does look a little scrapped up from all the work. I could polish it. I'm debating if I should put it back on the light just yet. My ring measured 14mm, but it's just the slightest bit uneven between the two turns from being twisted insideout and back.