Fenix L2D CE throw vs. Fenix TK20 throw?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you talking about the L2D Q5 right? Because there are two version of the L2D: the CE and the CE Q5. The latter is more efficient.

The TK20 throws much better than the L2D, according to light-reviews.com, the lux measured are 6000+ for the TK20 and 3000+ for the L2D.

These lights are pretty much the same exepct by the modes and build quality. Unless you really need two 2AA lights, there are not much benefit from owning two similar flashlights, IMO. If you have lithium primaries or rechargeables I'd recommend the new TK11 R2.

Toaster

Enlightened
I only see a L2D CE with OP reflector at Fenix Store. If that's what you have then lux figures are approximately

Fenix L2D CE w/OP reflector - 2250 lux
Fenix TK20 - 6150 lux

Take square root of lux @ 1m to compare throw and you'll see TK20 throws ~65% further. Not anywhere in the same ballpark. TK20 also puts out more lumens and uses a neutral white LED. Don't really see anything similar about them tbh except that they both use 2xAAs. Whether you'd benefit from having it or not is up to you to decide.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man... I have both of them, and I prefer TK20!

If I knew the 2 models before buying them, I would just have TK20.

L2D is a great light, but TK20 is the perfect 2xAA light! It´s solid, sturdy, heavy, and throws a lot!!

And it´s UI is quite simple: just 2 modes... regular and turbo.

I love my TK20. I already posted a review here in the Forums.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered myself a Fenix L2D CE from www.fenix-store.com the other day.

How does the throw of the L2D CE compare to the throw of the TK20?

Would I benefit from having both of these flashlights?

Thanks

I had both lights - L2D-Q5 and the TK20. In a white ceiling test, the L2D-Q5 is brighter, no question. The L2D-Q5 has much more spill than the TK20. For that matter, the LD20 has a narrower beam than the L2D-Q5, and therefore a longer throw. The TK20 has a longer throw than the L2D-Q5. I also did not like the spot itself - kinda hollow (dimmer center). The TK20 is also heavier and bulkier than the L2D-Q5. You have to decide what you are looking for - spill or throw or what combination of both. Not necessarily an easy tradeoff to make.

For me, the TK20 had too narrow of a spot and too little spill. I sold it and kept the L2D-Q5. It was difficult to find a moving animal at night in the woods with the TK20. The L2D-Q5 provides sufficient spill to pick up movement before you are able to center the light on the animal.