Need help on JetBeam III Military

paulsl

Enlightened
I have been looking at this light and think I want to get this version since it seems to be the only one with a forward tactical clicky. The comments on this forum rave about its design and build quality. I would like comments and thoughts on the following:
In the options I see 3 different choices for reflectors: OP, SMO and Hybrid. I may go hybrid but wanted to hear from anyone that has experience with JetBeam's reflectors of how significant or subtle the differences are and how the beam is affected. Also I have a choice with the tint, standard and warm, and would like to hear about any specifics on the, apparent brightness, bin, emmiter etc.
Any other comments would also be appreciated. Thanks.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
JetBeam uses a Cree Q3-5A for their warm tint versions. The beam color looks really close to incan IMHO. Here is a comparison beamshot I took of a JetBeam Element E3P, the one on the left has the standard tint the one on the right has the warm tint:

P1040283.jpg

To see how it compares to an incan light, here is another beamshot comparison, with from left to right the JetBeam Jet-II I.B.S., JetBeam Element E3P (standard), JetBeam Element E3P Q3-5A and Surefire E2e (incan):

P1040330.jpg

So, while these are not photos of the JetBeam Military per se, these will hopefully give you a good idea of what to expect of the standard vs warm tint versions of JetBeam.

Hope these help.

paulsl

Enlightened
Excellent. Tonight I will review the beam shots leisurely. I'm glad I posted this as I had totally forgotten about that review that included several JetBeam lights. Senility must be setting in prematurely.

Thanks to both of you. If anyone else has any comments or info, on the hybrid reflector for instance, please chime in.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jet III Pro ST comes with a forward clickie installed and a reverse clickie in the box.

I got a Jet III M with a warm emitter and hybrid reflector to keep in my car. It is pretty nice. The hybrid reflector doesn't perform as well as Olight's hybrid reflectors, but it does alright.

The reflector is not an Orange Peel finish. It is a lot like the Inovas. I always wondered how Inovas got a smooth beam out of K2's with a smooth reflector. It's not really smooth, when you look at it, it looks hazy... it looks like the variations in the reflector circle around the reflector like rings.

Generally, a smooth reflector will give you a bright hot spot with a sort of ugly beam and low spill. It is good for throw. An OP reflector will be smoother and have more spill. It is good for close work. A hybrid reflector is a happy medium, just enough to smooth out the beam a bit and add a tiny bit to the spill, but is still oriented for throw.