Malkoff maglite dropin or Fenix TK11

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
I have been browsing the forums for a while now, but I have not found an answer to a question that I have.

The Malkoff dropin for a 4D Maglite (and replacement reflector) comes to just over $70 with shipping and produces 240 lumens. The price Fenix TK11 is about the same price (depending on what discount coupon is used), produces 220 lumens and has a much smaller form factor. Granted the runtime is 1.5 hr for the Fenix, but it takes NiMH AA which are not inconvenient to carry around.

So why spend the money to upgrade such a large flashlight when a smaller one is almost as bright? Is it just for the extra runtime? Or is there some other difference?

I am not questioning the quality of the Malkoff dropins at all. In fact, I have an M60WL on order for my surefire 9P! I just wanted to get some opinions on which is a better option for the money.

Moka

Enlightened
For my money I'd go the Malkoff, I have one in my 3D mag, I love it, throw is awesome, tint is great and I love the runtimes I get from it... and the Customer service is second to none! I had an issue with my first one (it was a dud), and Gene and Cathy just sent me another... That there is the true definition of GREAT customer service!

It just depends on the application really... I use mine when I go out camping, if you wanted on you were to carry with you more often, perhaps the Fenix may be the way to go...

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really depends what you need. Maglites are big, durable, and use common batteries. If you have a use for them, then upgrading makes sense. However, if you are fine with less available batteries, I would get the TK11. However, it really depends on what you want to use the light for.
I got a Malkoff maglite dropin because I felt that a light that size should be BRIGHT, not dim.

Grog

Enlightened
The price Fenix TK11 is about the same price (depending on what discount coupon is used), produces 220 lumens and has a much smaller form factor. Granted the runtime is 1.5 hr for the Fenix, but it takes NiMH AA which are not inconvenient to carry around.

The TK11 does not take AA batteries, it can take a 18650 battery.

For the record, I'd love to try out a Malkoff maglite as well as a TK10/11 :grin2:

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
My 3D Malkoff os a completely different monster than my Fenix TK11.

The TK11 on High easily out throws the 3D mag, even when focused. The Mag focused to a tight spot easily out throws the TK11 on low.

The TK11 on high with cr123s will give you around an hour and a half of light. On low, the TK11 will last around 10 hours. Using 18650's, high is around 2.5 hours and low around 12 hours. The Mag being one setting for power is said to run 6 hours +. I have only changed the batteries this last week, not because they were dead, but because the output was not BAM! blinding like it is on freshies. I could still light up person at 150 feet with the old batts. So all in all, I would place Genes figures of 6 hours + as low. I use it daily as a Corrections Officer. I would put the esitimates higher, to like 10 hours. Keep in mind though, I am not turning it on and leaving it. I only slightly depress the button to turn it on for maybe 10 seconds at a time.

They are both altogether different lights. Hope I helped somewhat

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
Well sounds like I will be getting the Malkoff upgrade for my maglite then! Now I just gotta save up $$$!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am waiting for the Malkoff Dropin for 2-3D Maglite to arrive, which I intend to use to my 3D. It will be very interesting to compare it to my other lights. Some week more...

Regards, Patric

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 4D with a Malkoff drop-in - I really like it and am glad I bought it. It is nice to have a good strong light that will run for several hours before the batteries give out. Great for camping.

I also have a 1 x AA light that I carry with me as an EDC - it is multi level and programmable - also great for its purpose.

I also have other lights that suit other purposes.

I think getting a Malkoff is a good idea and makes the 4D Maglite a much better torch. After doing that you should save up for another light that makes a convenient every day carry light. Owning only one good light is crazy - there is no perfect light that suits every situation. But take your time and save up for GOOD lights, don't waste too much money buying cheapies.

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
If you already have the maglite and are used to the feel, go ahead and get the malkoff! I have also heard maglites make great clubs!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Malkoff in both Mag and SF.

In Mag, it runs forever. I rarely use the Mag so it actually lasts me months.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
On his site Malkoff claims that the dropin will run at full brightness for 6 hours, then will start to dim and still put out usable light for a few more hours.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also a huge fan of the Malkoff Mag drop-ins. These drop in's have caused me to love my Mag Lites again. I got the Ultra Clear lens and a replacement aluminum reflector for them and they are fantastic all around.

For me, the Fenix is too big to carry in my pocket anyway.

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
I am also a huge fan of the Malkoff Mag drop-ins. These drop in's have caused me to love my Mag Lites again. I got the Ultra Clear lens and a replacement aluminum reflector for them and they are fantastic all around.

For me, the Fenix is too big to carry in my pocket anyway.

How durable are the glass lenses? Do you think it would break if I accidently dropped the Maglite?

Also, how easy is it to cut the end of the aluminum reflectors so that they will work with the Malkoff dropin? I was just going to buy one of the precut reflectors from Gene, but if the aluminum ones are better, then I may get one of those instead.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
How durable are the glass lenses? Do you think it would break if I accidently dropped the Maglite?

Also, how easy is it to cut the end of the aluminum reflectors so that they will work with the Malkoff dropin? I was just going to buy one of the precut reflectors from Gene, but if the aluminum ones are better, then I may get one of those instead.

I doubt that the UCL lens is very tough. I imagine that borofloat will be tougher but for any serious use, it is probably best to keep the polycarbonate lens in the light. The one that I have in my truck has a polycarbonate lens installed.

You don't need to cut the aluminum reflector if you buy one that is camless or if you get one that has a removable cam. These just drop in the light and replace the stock reflector. The minimum opening size for this type of reflector is .500" based on my experience.

The aluminum reflectors that you can get from the Sandwich Shoppe make a very nice beam, better than the stock Mag Lite reflectors by a pretty fair margin. The MOP (medium orange peel) will smooth out the beam more than the smooth one but I have a couple of the smooth ones too that make for a very nice beam and they will throw further than the MOP.