Newbie, need a small light

nuron

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I'm looking to not get addicted with this stuff but like with audiophile-grade sound equipment, I'm really really interested in this right now. Basically, I'd like a small light to use while looking under cars and such and have some choices:

The popular Romisen G2
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3607

Arc AAA
http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml

And Fenix E01
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=435

Right now I'm leaning highly on the Romisen, while the Fenix I hear produces a purple tinge to its light. Let me know if there's any other options out there. I'd like to stay away from AAA if I could. :D

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Nuron and welcome to CPF (although you joined in 2007 this does seem to be your first post),

Just like with audiophile-grade sound equipment (which I happen to enjoy also) I think you will find that a bit of research will go a long way toward helping you select the correct light, and that it can often pay to spend a bit more for the right light the first time rather than skimping and buying several cheaper lights.

You have literally hundreds of choices, many quite good. What you need to start thinking about is how to narrow the field.

If you haven't been there yet, I highly recommend that you visit the CPF Welcome Mat:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172991

There is lots of great info to get you started thinking. Do you want a pocket light? Would a 2xAA light be to big? What is your budget? Is one level enough (and how bright), or like many of us would like a multi-level light? Is this for general purpose? Any preferences on how it operates (clicky end switch, turn the front bezel, side clicky)? How much runtime do you need at one time?

Here are 2 excellent review/comparison threads by CPF member selfbuilt that compare both 1xAA and 2xAA lights:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=186665
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=214890

That's a good start to give you some ideas. Read some of those, give us some more information to help narrow the field, and I'll bet we can help you find the right light.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
First I'll point out that the Arc AAA and the Fenix EO1 are compeltely different beasts than the Rominsen light. The Fenix and the Arc use small 5mm LEDs which give off just enough light to walk around the house at night, etc. The Romisen uses a high powered LED and will be significantly brighter.
That said Romisen lights are hit and miss for quality. Sometimes you get a great light from them sometimes you get a lemon.
Take some more time to read around and get a feel for what you like. I'd avoid AAAs like the plague for most purposes. As already stated there are a lot of choices out there, at all sorts of price points. And while you can find a good deal, or a good bargain here and there, you do get what you pay for.
Give us some more details on what you want and your price range. :D

nuron

Newly Enlightened
I think I might get some G2s so I can leave them in all of my family's cars whenever they are needed. How bad is the parasitic draw on these LED lights if not used for a long time? I'm thinking of getting...maybe three to play around with, including the car lights. 2xAA is fine. Multifunction would be nice but it looks like a lot of people do not like the many different modes, and I feel that way too--SOS, strobe, are things I don't need right now. I would like a simple lo-med-hi if possible. Maybe...$50? I'm still a student in school haha. These would be for general purpose, inside the house and such in case of blackouts, storms, etc. Thanks for all the replies so far!

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
sounds like lumapower would be a way to go, no strobe or SOS, 3 levels, the connexion is 1AA, incendio is 1xCR123

carrot

Flashaholic
Most lights do not have parasitic draw. Those that do have electronic switches, such as the HDS/Novatac/Ra clicky lights and the Nitecore SmartPD's. I wouldn't stow those in places where they won't be used frequently but for a regular carry light they are fine.

Check out my guide, I think you will find it very helpful.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd suggest the Romisen RC-N3 over the RC-G2(don't use just G2, that refers to the Surefire G2) because it uses 2 AA batteries. Most people will probably use alkaline batteries in the light. Alkaline batteries stink at higher currents that many LED lights require and will give less runtime and less output. With 2 AAs, the power is spread out and the batteries can handle it better.

AAA batteries don't contain much power compared to AA, so if you would like more output, look at AA lights. If you will be using rechargeable batteries, then either should be fine, AAA would just mean less runtime.

If you want modes in that price range and AA battery you'll have lights with strobe and or SOS so single mode might be better.

Most LED lights use a real switch, as in off mean no battery draw at all.

nuron

Newly Enlightened
I ordered an NC-C3 Q5 because I've read a lot of positive reviews and the CJ 1-Watt that sol-leks recommended--it's only $5, why not haha. I know the RC-G2 is a thrower, is there a cheap 1xAA that is a bit floody?

A member on DX said this was has a flood beam:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16844

but I don't really want to deal with CR123s (I've read the benefits) because it's not commonly found.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
yay, hope you like the cj, i think its a nice little light, be sure to let everyone what you think of it. I have the p4 version of the rc-n3 and that is great so Im sure the q5 will be even better.

As far as little floodlights, if its not too expensive for you, the zebralights are supposed to be fantastic. If that is too high, maybe some other kind of headlamp? Those usually have good flood, plus it would leave your hands free while under a car. Another option would be the fenix e20, which has the focusable head which can give the light a very nice flood.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Fenix L1T v2.0 and L2T v2.0 are very simple 1xAA and 2xAA lights which have two modes (low and high), and are within your budget. CPF members get 8% the list price.

The E01 is a great gift light. I find it's the best I can expect most people to carry. I find most people, when given a larger 1xAA or 2xAA light, just leave it at home and do not have it with them when they need it. The E01 is small enough to go on the keychain, so they have it always. It runs great on plain old alkaline cells also. It's also cheap enough to gift to all your friends and family at <$15 each.

Last edited:

balou

Enlightened
Hey all, I'm looking to not get addicted with this stuff but like with audiophile-grade sound equipment, I'm really really interested in this right now. Basically, I'd like a small light to use while looking under cars and such and have some choices:

A $1000 SPY007 with a Benchmark DAC1 and a Grado GS1000 would make a great team :devil:

For more modest options, go to 4sevens.

carrot: no problem with the Nitecores, just turn the head until it's in momentary mode. And for long-term storage, I'd consider a plastic spacer a good option against unwanted turnon anyways - a clicky might also be activated accidentally.

nuron

Newly Enlightened
Hm, so hard to find a Lumapower LM31, as it has what I need :(.