First time flashlight buyer and member here

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a Fenix TK10. Originally I purchased it for spotting paint defects as I detail cars for a living. Originally I use 2 500w halogen lights but they are big and bulky. This flashlight does an awesome job of showing swirls and defects in the paint and can be held in my hand as I take pictures of the damage. Although I think I found a new addiction. This little flashlight kicks ***! Didnt expect so much power from this thing. Solid as a tank too. Ordered the black but they accidently sent the olive. Either way the olive is a really nice color and im kinda glad they did send me that one.

Anyways im now in the market for a smaller flashlight without compromising so much power for everyday carry as you guys call it. The TK10 stays in my car. I got some reading to do. Looking forward to checking out all the info on here. :wave:

cree_buyer

Newly Enlightened
Welcome, just wanna say Hi!
smiley-greet013.gif

get an avatar and some cool smileys!
smiley-alien008.gif

the information here is... overwhelming
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif
smiley-scared002.gif

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: The TK10 is a great light, one of my favorites : Quite strong, enough throw, usefull flood.

I don't know if a "natural" tint, a warmer white could be helpfull for your job? A Ra Clicky could be the light you need, perfect for EDC, entirely programmable (depends on the version now) to your needs.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. That LD01 looks awesome, a keychain light like that would be just what im looking for.

As for the TK10 in my job I havent tried out it out yet but have seen how it works. Ill post some pictures in my next detail when I get to use my TK10.

camaro09

Enlightened
:welcome: You will feel right at home here on CPF. Everybody is super friendly and really willing to answer any questions you have... and trust me you will have a lot of ???? :twothumbs

HKJ

Flashaholic
Fenix has a small flashlight called LD01, it is very powerfull for its size and you can get it in a nice looking stainless steel.
Here is a picture of it and a minimag:
DSC_3191.jpg

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Wow that one looks awesome too. Although a bit bigger and cant be used as a keychain its more than twice as powerful. Decisions...

HKJ

Flashaholic
Here your can see some small lights beside each other:
DSC_1794a.JPG

#2 and #3 are from Lummi and are very powerfull (#3 is up to 200 lumen).

#7 and #18 are from LiteFlux, they are the most advanced lights on the market (Your can find programming instructions here on cpf, that are much better than the manuals).

#1, #4, #5 are the only low power lights in the lineup.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a Fenix TK10. Originally I purchased it for spotting paint defects as I detail cars for a living. Originally I use 2 500w halogen lights but they are big and bulky. This flashlight does an awesome job of showing swirls and defects in the paint and can be held in my hand as I take pictures of the damage. Although I think I found a new addiction. This little flashlight kicks ***! Didnt expect so much power from this thing. Solid as a tank too. Ordered the black but they accidently sent the olive. Either way the olive is a really nice color and im kinda glad they did send me that one.

Anyways im now in the market for a smaller flashlight without compromising so much power for everyday carry as you guys call it. The TK10 stays in my car. I got some reading to do. Looking forward to checking out all the info on here. :wave:
Now you need to buy your first SureFire! (and then an AEON...)

WELCOME TO CPF!

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
I think I might be using my TK10 wrong. The turbo mode isn't that much brighter than the normal mode. Just barely noticeable. Its very nice but it doesn't light up a whole room like I thought it would. Am I doing something wrong?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you need to buy your first SureFire! (and then an AEON...)

WELCOME TO CPF!

+1

We warned though, after your first SureFire, the SF addiction begins. Hold on to your wallet... :broke:

:welcome:

BTW, being a pro detailer, are you a fellow member on Autopia?

-Robert

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think I might be using my TK10 wrong. The turbo mode isn't that much brighter than the normal mode. Just barely noticeable. Its very nice but it doesn't light up a whole room like I thought it would. Am I doing something wrong?
Try new batteries and then try cleaning the contacts.

From my understanding, High/Turbo should seem around 2x as bright as normal by eye.

For something small and bright, look at lights that can use the 14500 or even 10440 Li-ion battery.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
+1

We warned though, after your first SureFire, the SF addiction begins. Hold on to your wallet... :broke:

BTW, being a pro detailer, are you a fellow member on Autopia?

-Robert

Sure am! Autopia FTW

Im using these crappy CR123 powerizer batteries that came with it. You guys recommend any better ones that can be bought locally? Also what are contacts? Its brand new should I really need to be cleaning stuff?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The contacts is anywhere where two pieces of metal touch to complete the current, like at the end of the tailcap, the contact points on the back of the bezel, and if want to open up the tailcap, the switch to the tailcap points.

The batteries could be low on power. Test the voltage and see what you get.

As for lower priced CR123 batteries locally, I wouldn't know. The titanium batteries are good and are $1 each before shipping. I heard Batteryjunction's shipping is pretty quick. They also have a profile here, look for MattK.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
The batteries have less than a couple of minutes on them. Just wondering if other brands were more powerful. Should I really need to clean the contacts? Light is less than 3 days old.

Last edited:

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Powerizer, as noted about 4 posts up :thumbsup: Never heard of them but they came with the light. I actually just tried it outside and the difference is much more noticable outside rather than in a small room. Either way I love it but just expected a drastic difference between regular and turbo mode.