What's better than a Nitecore D10 for a single battery (can be AA, CR123, etc.) EDC?

L_Darklighter

Newly Enlightened
I made one other post and got 14 replies. You guys are awesome. Full of great advice. Kudos.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get a replacement RC-N3 from DealsExtreme... I sent them my defective light and followed all the proper steps, so we'll see.

*I decided I want a compact, EDC light that is impressively bright and RELIABLE. I'm currently lusting over the NiteCore D10. Before I buy it, am I missing anything? Is there one better?

*I'm pretty set on using a AA battery so I can reload 'in the field' (i.e. motorcycle adventures and whatnot). So that's my preference, although if there were a vastly superior light that used a custom battery, I'd heavily consider it. It would still have to be single-cell for the size consideration.

*What's the best AA battery to use? Am I right in thinking a rechargeable 3200 mAh will give me the best light/burn time?

*Also, is the piston drive system really a huge reliability improvement over a clicky? Is there a clicky out there that is rugged enough to never worry about it? Thanks!

--started as a forum troll. Now I've made two posts and I've upgraded my mini-mag, bought a Romisen, about to get an EDC. Yep, I'd say I'm addicted. But hey, it's better than being addicted to a drug or expensive racing hobby, right? (Doh! I've got the racing addiction as well. AND computer gaming rig. AND a motorcycle. And I'm eying some snowboards...)

crocodilo

Enlightened
Q: What's better than a Nitecore D10 for a single battery (can be AA, CR123, etc.) EDC?

A: Nitecore EX10. :twothumbs

IMHO.

Because of better runtimes, smaller size, and stainless bezel (better head protection and ability to install Ti bezel should you wish).

Newly Enlightened
--started as a forum troll.

You mean Lurker?

Stick with the D10, although a bit longer, it is slimmer than the EX10 which I find more comfortable to EDC. The fact that AA batteries can be found anywhere is a huge bonus.

As far as the piston being more reliable than a clicky, IMHO it will be over the long run, but I don't think that should be the only factor in the purchase decision.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know if it is better, but the Olight T15 is a great single cell AA light. I have been using one for the last 6-7 months and really like it. I own two Nitecore single AA lights, the D10 and the Infinity. I like the D10 better. It has a better grip and the interface is not as complex. You may want to also look at the Eagletac P10A. I just got the P10A2 (it's 2 AA brother) and it is a very nice light!! Extremely bright, solid, and best of all, easy user interface! Just a simple high and low. I have had no problems with any of my lights, so can not really comment on reliability. You would really have to get multiple user experiences to really judge that. I have heard of a few folks having the D10 get real hot in their pocket, and then not powering on, but only a few. You can probably find their posts on the forum if you do a search. I also have a ITP C8T coming from Shiningbeam.com that looks real solid. It is another 2 AA light, but there is also a single AA model. They also, like the D10, will let you ramp the brightness setting up and down, but goes about it a different way. I will find out today!

Mike

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Look at lumapower too. The incendio is a nice little light and the conexion x2 got good reviews.
I too was wondering if a piston light really is any better.

elugelab

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered Raw NS

It's a very small light, so it uses a special 14250 li-ion cell, but the light comes with a charger and one cell. It also has a good runtime on 100 lumens (90min) and 20 lumens (10h). The 200 lumens is just for the wow factor, due to it's short runtime (25 min).

There's also Raw Al, that is made of aluminium, so it weighs less. Doesn't come with a charger, so that's £7 extra. Still a bit cheaper than the NS though.

Don't know about the superiority of these lights over the D10, but they sure are pretty. :)

madi05

Enlightened
i like my lf3xt made by liteflux ,, i was looking at the nitecore but i chose this one over it and am really happy i did:twothumbs

they have others sized that gets high reviews ,, i believe they reviewed in higher numbers on lightreviews.com than the nitecore

madi05

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: I'm a newbie myself and has recently purchased some lights in a typical addictive manner :laughing: . My favorite EDCs so far are D10 and NDI. :thumbsup:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made one other post and got 14 replies. You guys are awesome. Full of great advice. Kudos.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get a replacement RC-N3 from DealsExtreme... I sent them my defective light and followed all the proper steps, so we'll see.

*I decided I want a compact, EDC light that is impressively bright and RELIABLE. I'm currently lusting over the NiteCore D10. Before I buy it, am I missing anything? Is there one better?

*I'm pretty set on using a AA battery so I can reload 'in the field' (i.e. motorcycle adventures and whatnot). So that's my preference, although if there were a vastly superior light that used a custom battery, I'd heavily consider it. It would still have to be single-cell for the size consideration.

*What's the best AA battery to use? Am I right in thinking a rechargeable 3200 mAh will give me the best light/burn time?

*Also, is the piston drive system really a huge reliability improvement over a clicky? Is there a clicky out there that is rugged enough to never worry about it? Thanks!

--started as a forum troll. Now I've made two posts and I've upgraded my mini-mag, bought a Romisen, about to get an EDC. Yep, I'd say I'm addicted. But hey, it's better than being addicted to a drug or expensive racing hobby, right? (Doh! I've got the racing addiction as well. AND computer gaming rig. AND a motorcycle. And I'm eying some snowboards...)
You want the superb Muyshondt Aeon. The best EDC light in the world, hands down!

knuckletwo

Newly Enlightened
Well then Jolly Roger, from one newbie to another, between the D10 and the NDI which one do you prefer? I know what you mean about the addiction! This all started with the HD Husky 2D....and then the Fenix L2D....now I am looking for 1AA EDC myself. Should I be frightened? hehe

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well then Jolly Roger, from one newbie to another, between the D10 and the NDI which one do you prefer? I know what you mean about the addiction! This all started with the HD Husky 2D....and then the Fenix L2D....now I am looking for 1AA EDC myself. Should I be frightened? hehe

Love the aggressive design of NDI as well as the fantastic lanyard. Am impressed with the knurling of D10 and prefers this RU/RD via clicky. In the end, I still can't decide and succumbed to temptations, i followed the advice from the gurus here, get them both! :crackup:

Yes, be afraid....be very afraid.... :devil:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
:thumbsup:I like the slimness of the AA lights better than CR123's, but you may want to check out the Liteflux LF3XT as well. You can't go wrong with a D10 though, so for starters, just go ahead and get one, then you can relax and shop for the next light at a leisurely pace!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Jetbeam Element? Sleek, stainless steel, two modes and dead simple operation. Forward clicky, head position determines high or low. Available with a warm-white Cree, even.

JBorneu

Enlightened
I personally like the user interface of the Nitecore Defender Infinity (AA) and Nitecore Extreme (CR123) better. They also are brighter on maximum than the D10 and EX10. But they have clicky switches which need to be replaced fairly often (think 1-2 times a year if you use your light every day) and the low of my NDI is not as low as I would like it to be.

The D10 and EX10 have a switching system which won't fail, but they drain power very slow (after a year your battery will be empty) and there are some issues with the D10 breaking in half, also with later models, somehow there are still bad ones which slip trough quality control, but they are always replaced promptly. Definitely no warranty hassles with Nitecore.

Ajay

Enlightened
+1 for the D10

-Very small light with great knurling
-easy to find AA bats, but I used eneloops.
-Very bright/good run time
-warranty/servicing available in the US
-comparatively cheap
-14500 compatible
- nice clip available

cons
-can get pretty warm when continuously on

Overall a great light. :thumbsup:

jblackwood

Enlightened

Funny, my addiction started with the Husky 2D as well. I've had a 3D Mag for years and I just purchased a Malkof drop-in for it, WOW! Do yourself a favor and visit the site. You won't look back.

My Nitecore is my EDC. I'm getting tritium vials to have installed. If you have a significant other, it's a GREAT light to have on your nightstand. It's also one of the few lights I own that tailstand. I always have it with me, even if I leave my other two EDC's at home (Dereelight DBS and CL1H with Malkoff drop-in).

And yeah, it all started with the Husky. Weird.

gunga

Flashaholic
For EDC, I like AA lights.

I think both the Lumapower Connexion X2 and Nitecore D10 are great.

They are both small and bright and can run 14500.

The Connexion is nice, simple UI, forward clicky, 3 set modes with a good low and bright high.

The D10 has a piston which can be nice (silent), a very low low, and continuosly variable modes. Reliability is a wash at the moment. Th piston is a love/hate thing. It's not perfect, but I do like it.

Last edited: