Which one (up to $80)

nenadrad

Newly Enlightened
A few days i saw and bought torch Inova X1, when i saw that power from aa battery, i decided to buy something much stronger...

I need to have Variable Brightness System, about 5inch max, and lot of light

Now i have a few questions

1 is it better to be luxeon 3 or 5w and what is luxeon advantage because of color tone, or cree q5 because most torches have it ?

2 or simplier your recomandation:

Fenix TK11 Q5

Nitecore Extreme

Fenix PD30

JetBeam MK.II

Fenix P3D

NiteCoreD10

EX11

Fenix LD10
or something else untill 80$.

Thanks

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Which one

Welcome to CPF, nenadrad.

I think your question will do better in the LED Flashlights section, so I'll move it there for you.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Fenix TK11 R2 is slightly brighter, dunno if it's under $80 but it's a cool light. Nitecore extreme aswell belongs to the top. I would pick one from those 2. Fenix=bigger, longer runtime. Nitecore=smaller (EDC size) and short runtime. It's your call :p

maxilux

Enlightened
Do you use CR123 or 18650 or others ?
Think about the EagleTac T10L (18650) or the new T10C2 (little update, more output now)

sappyg

Enlightened
hey nenadrad......:welcome:

the torches you listed can be considered very different from one another. for instance, the fenix TK11 does'nt compare well with a D10. plus, all the lights you list range in battery type from aa-cr123 to even an 18650.
are you considering a torch for EDC or for some other purpose? can you tell us more about what your needs are?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Luxeon LEDs, except for the Rebels and TFFC K2s, are all previous generation LEDs. A current generation LED has twice or more the efficiency(depends on flux bin) of a previous gen one so for the same power you will get double or more output. The more common current gen LEDs are the Seoul P4, P7, and the Cree XR-E, MC-E.

Tint is not something the flashlight company can determin. Even if they buy from the same tint bin there will still be visible variations between the tints. What tint you get is all up to luck, unless you get to test the lights before you buy.

By "Variable brightness system" do you mean you would like the light to have more then one mode or you would like to be able to control the exact output of the light?

The Tk10 is longer then 5 inches.

What batteries do you prefer?

:welcome:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the T10L C2 has more output, just a different beam pattern.

nenadrad

Newly Enlightened

Thank you, all

As a child i always played with current, fire, battery lamps... (poor my parents). Less then a week when i bought inova, and i discovered that all years that passion was sleeping in me more than two decades, the beast was awaken….

All I need:
Everyday purpose, lot of lot of light, as more from that size, what about diffuser tip if you recommend, compact size, i will bye 2 cr 123 rechar. batteries, at least. And again lot of light from my hand!!!

Which torches with luxeon diode ?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
None of the lights you listed have the Luxeon LED. All of them have the current generation Cree XR-E LED. A Luxeon powered by the same circuit would have half or less output because they are only half the efficiency. The Higher bin Rebels and TFFC K2s are current generation LEDs but the light should state if it uses a Rebel. A TFFC K2, you'll have to read around to see if it uses the old K2(half efficiency) or the TFFC version.

Since you want small and bright, I'm guessing you would, like a good amount of throw too. Go for the Nitecore Extreme or Jetbeam Jet II and power them off a RCR123. The Jet II will have more throw but this is because it has a larger reflector.

If you want to use a diffuser tip you'll can go with the Fenix PD30 or P3D-CE Q5. They both fit Fenix's diffuser.

If you really want small and bright, go for the Fenix LD01 and power it off a Li-ion 10440. You'll be pushing the battery really hard(10-15 minutes runtime on high) and void the warrenty of the light but you will get a lot of output for a small size.

What lights have you used?

nenadrad

Newly Enlightened
What between, which is more powerful

NiteCore Extreme

Fenix EX11

Looks that EX11 is stronger.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Fenix EX11?

Do you mean the Fenix E20, E01, or the Nitecore EX10? There was never a Fenix EX11.

The Extreme will have more throw then the EX10 but I'm not sure how they compare output wise.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore Extreme is much smaller then the TK11, one is 1 CR123, one is 2 CR123. The TK11 throws further because of the larger and smooth reflector but the Extreme should have a smoother beam. With the Extreme you can set the lower output to what you want. The TK11 has longer runtime because it uses 2 CR123 batteries. The Extreme is compatible with the Surefire E series or what ever uses the same threads. Extreme uses a boost circuit and the TK11 uses a buck circuit.

There are some more differences.

If you want small size, go with the the Extreme, if you want throw, go with the TK11. The Extreme is brighter with a RCR123 while the TK11 is the same, with all batteries that it is supposed to use except with the 18650, which could start at a lower output. This is not recommended and can be dangerous without the knowledge necessary.

Last edited:

rockz4532

Enlightened
gunner 12 pretty much covered it. I really like the LD01 for a keychain light, and for full size i use a P2D. A TK11 would be your brightest option.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the lights you listed have the Luxeon LED. All of them have the current generation Cree XR-E LED. A Luxeon powered by the same circuit would have half or less output because they are only half the efficiency. The Higher bin Rebels and TFFC K2s are current generation LEDs but the light should state if it uses a Rebel. A TFFC K2, you'll have to read around to see if it uses the old K2(half efficiency) or the TFFC version.

Since you want small and bright, I'm guessing you would, like a good amount of throw too. Go for the Nitecore Extreme or Jetbeam Jet II and power them off a RCR123. The Jet II will have more throw but this is because it has a larger reflector.

If you want to use a diffuser tip you'll can go with the Fenix PD30 or P3D-CE Q5. They both fit Fenix's diffuser.

If you really want small and bright, go for the Fenix LD01 and power it off a Li-ion 10440. You'll be pushing the battery really hard(10-15 minutes runtime on high) and void the warrenty of the light but you will get a lot of output for a small size.

What lights have you used?
That's a truly irresponsible advice to give to a flashlight beginner.

I'll quote 4-Sevens on that:

"Ok, I've mentioned this in the past many times (probably 6 months apart),
the L0D/LD01 was NEVER designed to take Li-ions and you should NEVER do it
even though people here report doing this. Here are the following reasons:

1) Risk explosion - damage to you or those around you. The li-ion cell is
dangerous (protected or unprotected). It is not a consumer product.
If there were a short, so much energy would be released in such a short time
that the cell will destroy itself from overheating. AND if it's confined in
a sealed casing, it CAN and WILL explode! JUST DONT DO IT!

2) the AAA format may be small but the energy density is just the same.
People ask why we don't carry the AAA cell. Well firstly there is no way
to include a protection circuit - there just isn't enough space. Using an
unprotected cell is just plain dumb. I've experimented enough to tell you
that it's not a consumer product. "it's all fun and games until someone loses
an eye." Another risk is people putting these AAA cells into walkmans and
remotes. POOF.

3) If you leave them on, the light will overheat - there simply isn't enough
aluminum material to disspate the heat. Somebody is going to end up burning
their fingers or thighs (from leaving it on in the pocket). Don't come crying
to me If enough heat builds up, it may rupture the cell and again BOOM.
Also, there is a very high risk that you will damage the LED - the junction
temperature ratings are not that high - the li-ion in the l0d/ld01 will
cause the junction temp to skyrocket. Forget getting 50,000 hours out of
that LED.

4) also as you're discharging the cell, the moment you see it dim, you've
already damaged the cell. these cells are not cheap - you'll end up with only
a few cycles.

If apple and ibm laptops are catching fire, don't think your little cell won't

DON'T SAY I DIDN'T TELL YOU NOT TO!!!"

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I should have place a warning on that. I know it's not good advice to give to a new member, unless they had enough experience with Li-ion batteries and lights.

The LD01 is pretty bright as is, much more then most lights(around 15 lumen from fresh battery for a normal 2D light, the LD01 is over 60).

HKJ

Flashaholic
Do your want an advanced flashlight, with lots of settings?
For this LiteFlux and JetBeam are the best.

If your just want simple adjustable light, the NiteCore and ITP lights are good.

For multiple fixed levels, the Fenix is fine, the TK models has two levels and are very solid lights, the smaller models has more levels and are not as heavy. OLight does also have some nice multiple fixed levels light.

Your also need to decide what kind of batteries you want, the best options, for high power flashlights, are:
AA NiMH eneloop rechargeable batteries
LiIon 18650 Rechargeable batteries
CR123 primary batteries (They are a bit expensive)

madi05

Enlightened
the liteflux lf3xt is awesome but u only get it if u like gadgets ,, and like spending time learning your light, it is basically a flashlight computer imo

madi05