6P bezel, side flood capabilities?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Which one do you think obstructs side emitted lumens the least.. and most? Has anyone done a comparison?

thanks in advance.:eek:

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 6P bezel question...

Test conditions

- 3P host
- DX6090 drop-in
- old SF 6P round bezel , Lexan window
- new SF 6P anti-roll bezel, Pyrex window
- old SF Z32 bezel, Lexan window
- G&P bezel
- 7 foot distance to the wall

Results

Bezel Beam Radius
Old 6P 4 feet
New 6P 3.5 feet
Old Z32 3 feet
G&P 4 feet

For fun, I also tested a SureFire 12ZM with SRTH, equipped with an AW LED tower (Seoul P4 U2-bin LED). I got a beam radius of 8 feet.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: 6P bezel question...

Thanks Justin!! just what I was looking for. I am scoping out a replacement 6P bezel, and its all pretty well documented except for the side-flood capabilities.

Anyone else want to post their measurements & bezel used? lets say, 7 feet from the wall, and measure the diameter of the flood beam. Also post the P60 module type you are using too. Could get really interesting if Team-malkoff decides to play....:poke:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a 6PD bezel, but I do have a G&P bezel with a strike ring that I can put on to check the effect.

I can tell you for a 12ZM with SRTH vs TRTH, the taller rim on the TRTH produces "edge effects" at the beam periphery. It doesn't seem to change the overall beam diameter (or if it does, it isn't by much). What happens is that the beam ends as usual, and then there is a secondary ring of light, probably from light reflecting off of the taller rim.

For me, these edge effects are bothersome because I can see distracting shadows in my peripheral vision.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't see any shadow effects from the G&P strike ring when using the DX6090 drop-in (even holding the light 1 foot away from the wall), which was a welcome, though slightly surprising, result. The overall beam radius at 7 feet from the wall went from 4 feet to 3 feet when I changed from the plain retaining ring to the strike ring. Basically, the beam half-angle went from about 30 degrees to 23 degrees.

For a wider angle drop-in like my M30, I can see the shadow effect of the strike ring when I hold the light 1 foot from the wall. But I can't see the scalloped shadow at any appreciable distance from the wall because the spill is sufficiently low that the beam edges blend into the background. If you had a beam with a brighter spill, perhaps you'd see the shadow outline of the strike ring.

The strike ring is ~0.2" above the bezel rim at the low point of the scallop and ~0.32" at the high point. The plain retaining ring does not extend above the bezel's rim at all.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: the difference between the old 6P bezel (round, Lexan window) vs. new 6P bezel (anti-roll, Pyrex window) that results in a slightly narrower beam with the new bezel

The new bezel uses a screw-in retaining ring that requires a sufficient amount of threads in the bezel's rim to fit the ring. Thus, the Pyrex window is about 0.13" below the rim vs 0.10" for the Lexan window in an old bezel. I can't tell if a drop-in also stands off farther from the bezel's rim because of different window thicknesses between Pyrex and Lexan.

One thing I forgot to note about the G&P bezel. The bezel comes with a silver ring that you can optionally drop inside of the bezel. The ring is essentially a standoff that helps push a drop-in rearward if it needs some slightly extra length to make electrical contact.

If you look inside of a standard SureFire 6P bezel (old or new style), there is a "ledge" at the periphery of the window on which the lamp's rim sits.

A G&P bezel has no such ledge. Thus, without the silver spacer ring, a drop-in's rim will press directly against the inside surface of the glass window. For something like a Malkoff M30, this might be an issue in terms of potentially scratching the front face of the optic. On the upside, the optional spacer ring gives you additional flexibility to adjust the bezel fit to reduce or eliminate any bezel-body gap.

I would imagine that the beam would be even wider without the spacer ring vs. with the ring, but my DX6090 won't function without the ring so I can't measure this.

cfromc

Enlightened
The old 6P bezel w/Lexan is my favorite for LEDs because I like a lot of spill. I have a stock-pile of them. The beam is completely smooth around the circumference.