Question about UV light?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think I posted this question in another thread but it was slightly off topic and thus went largely un-noticed.

Can it be used to see fingerprints and water stains on metal and semi-reflective surfaces?

thanks

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to the best of my knowledge. It may depend on what wavelength of UV you're using. Standard run of the mill UV lights that come in around 395nm won't show them very well. Not sure if using glasses will help or not. Should be someone else around here who can give a better answer.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing it WILL do is **** you off!!

It will show you the discusting poop that the previous tenant at the overplaced house you are renting allowed to happen....F-in NASTY!!:green::sick2::barf:

The second picture pisses me off to no end!!:mad::rant::hairpull::barf::barf:

Time to call the landlord....:shakehead
I wear shoe at ALL times now....damn shame!

004-23.jpg

005-27.jpg

Last edited:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha HA!! I can tell you´ve been examining the place in and out.

One thing, is that UV light or blue light with ambar gogles ?

Superdave

Enlightened
I wish my UV light had a beam pattern like that.. instead mine has an intense hotspot and almost no spill. :(

Using UV glasses with a ~395nm will show water stains on walls, carpet etc. I used mine in my basement to find the source of a leak in one of the walls. it also works very well to identify pet stains from previous owners, dirty bathrooms and a variety of other things.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha HA!! I can tell you´ve been examining the place in and out.

One thing, is that UV light or blue light with ambar gogles ?

Its a Cree UV..(the same one in my avitar) installed in a surefire A2 host.
Not blue light and no goggles.

This is exactly what it looks like to the eye.:sick2:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.351

S2 Blue, the most compact and powerful 19-LED blue light in the world, is an excellent forensic tool during crime scene investigation. The evenly diffused, powerful yet smooth blue light best reveals evidences such as latent fingerprints developed by ninhydrin. Unlike conventional blue filtered lights, which have undesirable center spots, the LED's of S2 Blue individually project for a smooth, non-glare, cool blue light without transmitting heat to the specimen, ensuring the highest quality and purity in evidence gathering.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Its a Cree UV..(the same one in my avitar) installed in a surefire A2 host.
Not blue light and no goggles.

This is exactly what it looks like to the eye.:sick2:

What wavelength is that Cree Dafab? Sure looks to be effective .

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
Hey FAB, hook us up with any info you can on a source for a UV light like the one you've got there.

I'm pretty sure that's a DIY but I'd be interested in buying one if you know of a ready made source.
I've got some cheap ones but I'd like something a little more serious. :devil:

*edit*I can go the mod route if you've got a source for the LEDs. I'm a n00b with flashlights but handy with modding just about anything. :D

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing people don't realize is that most bodily fluids and organic contaminants don't glow, sure urine does glow but only the faintest of orange. All those bright glowing stains are actually the soaps used to clean stuff up as the usually contain some sort of phosphorescent brighteners used so that cleaned surfaces appear brighter. All the csi's make it seem like everything glows under black lights but it's only after being treated with chemicals.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing it WILL do is **** you off!!

It will show you the discusting poop that the previous tenant at the overplaced house you are renting allowed to happen....F-in NASTY!!:green::sick2::barf:

The second picture pisses me off to no end!!:mad::rant::hairpull::barf::barf:

Time to call the landlord....:shakehead
I wear shoe at ALL times now....damn shame!

004-23.jpg

005-27.jpg

Umm... yeah. I'm guessing the first pic is basically a guy going in the corner and "doing his business", if you get my drift.:green::poke:

I'm not sure what the second one is, unless the guy chronically couldn't hold in his #1.:sick2:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm... yeah. I'm guessing the first pic is basically a guy going in the corner and "doing his business", if you get my drift.:green::poke:

I'm not sure what the second one is, unless the guy chronically couldn't hold in his #1.:sick2:

They did have pets...:sick2:
I also hear he had quite the temper and we all know how animals can get when they see the owner mad...poor dog probably got the **** scared out of him....a lot!:(

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
They did have pets...:sick2:
I also hear he had quite the temper and we all know how animals can get when they see the owner mad...poor dog probably got the **** scared out of him....a lot!:(

Yeah I think you're right... poor dog.:(

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
At our peak, we've had two cats and two dogs in our house. Our hallway looks EXACTLY like that under my DealExtreme MXDL to UV mod that I made. Due to old age, deaths etc. we're down to one older 12 year old cat, and a younger 2-3 year old dog.

ALL of those spots that make the carpet glow like camouflage is 9 years of our one cat hacking up hairballs late at night while we sleep. Even after machine cleaning the carpet twice in a row one week apart as part of a major spring-cleaning project, it was just as bad as before, even though the carpet looked almost brand new under visible light.

It's the dye in the cat food. And the pH of cat digestive juices help it stain the nylon thread in the carpet pile permanently.

Also, it may let you rest a little easier, but that splattered drippy stain in the corner is most likely not urine. It's probably a drink, soda, beer, milk, etc. spilled off of an end-table, or perhaps a nightstand if that's a bedroom. As others have said, urine is not nearly that bright, unless it's years of accumulation, like the area around a toilet in a household of men/boys with poor aim.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bumping this thread so it is easier for me to pull up, as I may need to use it in court tomorrow to help prove my case against my old landlord.
He's trying to sue me and make me pay for new carpet in the house I was renting, when it was VERY CLEARLY NASTY AS poop before I moved in!!.
Hopefully showing that the date during which those pictures were posted will help prove that I am not responsible for the carpet stains.
MAN!! If you guys only knew what this dishonest ******* is trying to take me for.
All sorts of things that were messed up before I moved in..:mad:

Also I'm greatful that the dates shown as EDITED are during the time frame I was there.:thumbsup:

This would be AWESOME if it is submissible in court tomorrow helping to PROVE my case!

One more reason to LOVE FLASHLIGHTS!!!:twothumbs

This may be the first time CPF will help to prove a mans innocence in a court of law!!:naughty:

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!!

Got court this afternoon...my old lanlord is trying to sue me for a bunch of things I didn't do.
I have absolutely no problem admitting when I am in the wrong, but this guy is being just flat out dishonest!
Hope it works out.

Last edited: