Opinion: Flashlight Catagories/Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an update on our light classification guide:

Every Day Carry (EDC)/Convienence

This class of light increases it's utility by being carried in such a way as to be most often available in times of emergency. In order to fit in this class, the light must be easy to carry. This requires a certain size limit and ergonomic design features.

This class typically is either worn on clothing, attached to a key chain, built into another item that is easy to carry or placed loose in the pocket (although is must be comfortable in the pocket). A light that requires too much thought or effort to bring along with you does not fit in this class.

This class is most likely to save your life and count in an emergency because it is with you most of the time. However, this class is typically not bright enough for more intensive tasks, which brings us to the next class:

Task/mission/toolbox

This class of light requires more thought and effort to carry than the EDC class but it is usually brighter and provides more features. Because of the extra effort this light requires inclusion into a plan or mission design. There are different sizes of light in this class (sub classes) such as a duty light, head light, lantern, work light, glove box/tool box light, etc. But to fit in the task class, it must require more thought to carry than an EDC.

This class of light is commonly pre-staged in a vehicle, tool box, boat, on the wall next to the back door, etc. It may also be mounted on a gun, etc. The duty light subclass blurs the line by incorporating a holster to make the light easier to carry but the extra effort of the holster places the duty light under the task class.

Although very bright, this class isn't always available or suitable for every situation.

Speciality

This includes any other light that does not fit in the EDC or task class but is still man portable.

These classes are continually being refined and your input is welcomed. Please understand that this is just one opinion on quantifying flashlights, there are other methods.

Peter

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sounds very reasonable! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

but may i ask what this pertains to...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

reddwarf

Newly Enlightened
I too am curious,in this modern world where everything is easy and disposable,where I have seen too much of the general public unprepared for even a flat tire or water for several hours.EDC often pertains to the most valued modern toys-key ring for the suv,etc.A good majority of the public takes the most basic of life preserving properties for granted.How many people have we all met with the dead 4 year old flashlight in the trunk?

gyverpete

Enlightened
With Photon lights(and knock-offs), and so many other small lights available everywhere there is no excuse why anyone can't carry a light on them all the time. Light is fundamentally important for safety and convenience. This can go for other small useful gadgets as well. A person doesn't have to be an enthusiast to be prepared. Of the couple of hundred, or so, people I'm aquainted with, I've determined that only about ten of them EDC some sort of light, usually on a keychain. I EDC three: Arc LS, AAA, and Photon II yellow. Peter is right about EDC class being the most useful. Small and at-hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif BEATS big and bright and "not-on-me-at the moment" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Yes, Peter...I will take one of each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

BigMac

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Blue said:
Yes, Peter...I will take one of each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One? I was thinking more along the lines of "several."

BigMac

Enlightened
Oh, and Peter, might I suggest an addition to the edc classification? Somthing about it not being to conspicuous, becuase that might draw unwanted attention.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BigMac said:
Oh, and Peter, might I suggest an addition to the edc classification? Somthing about it not being to conspicuous, becuase that might draw unwanted attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that there's anything wrong with adding that, BigMac, but wouldn't you think that was sort of implied in the part about small and convenient and easily carried, etc.? Just a thought. KISS and all that. Again, not that it isn't a consideration.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

If you DID want to expand on the EDC description, you could also mention that the EDC light is general purpose and can perform multiple functions fairly well. This would be especially appropriate given that the LS4 fits this to a tee. i.e. the burst mode, together with primary and secondary light levels and special features and all that. I know that most people here on the forum EDC at least two lights, so I'm one of the minority that EDCs only one, at least most of the time. And I think that for a lot of people out there it's a bit of a stretch to imagine always having even just ONE light on their person, let alone two or three. Thus, for them, (and for me) the more general purpose and multi-taskable, in a single light, the better. Also a selling point for LEDs: they don't break so you don't even need a backup lamp. (which you mention in your product literature, of course)

This would, of course, raise the question of your characterizing task specific lights as having "more functions." I doubt many lights out there will have more functions than the LS4, yet it will be my EDC light.

Just some suggestions from someone with only the beginning stages of flashaholism. (I'm sure I'll see the light later on.)

shrap

Enlightened
I think the only requirement of an EDC light is that it be always carried - we can hope that it be multi-purpose, reliable, waterproof, etc. but it does not have to be so. My EDC is not waterproof, multi-use or even bright, but it remains my EDC.

I think it's strange that js is changing the classifications based on a light that hasn't come out yet. The LS4 hasn't come out yet; don't make it end-all of lights.

My division of lights is very simple - EDC and non EDC lights. I either have it on me all the time, or I need a good reason to go get it.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people that would have an EDC light, would have one of the coin cell LED keychain types. They wouldn't even think of this as EDC, just something to see the keyhole in order to insert key.

I really can't see EDCing anything larger than a 2AA light, given the guidelines set forth here.

Yes, there was a time when I did EDC a 2AA light: a radio shack 2AA metal mini (pr-4, k4, kpr104) in a belt holder. I lived in Hollywood, CA at the time. Between overloading from air conditioners in the summer, the possibility of accident related outage, and earthquakes, you never knew when you would need it. Back then, we didn't have our lovely white LEDs.

paulr

Flashaholic
EDC: a light you carry all or most of the time, whether or not you expect to use it. No particular constraints on brightness, runtime, etc. My EDC's have included coin cell LED keychain lights and 2x123 incandescents among other things. Arc AAA is my favorite, or Arc LS for something brighter.

Task: I thought of this as a light you use for working on something close-up (hence "CMG Infinity Task Light"). Examples: fill out paperwork, read instructions, change a fuse, fix a circuit board. These should have long runtime but don't have to be very bright. Arc AAA is nice again; headlamps are also nice. For handheld lights my favorite is the McLux.

Tactical: for use in a combat situation. Brightness and ruggedness are everything. Runtime and operating costs don't matter. Surefire M6 is the canonical example.

Duty: a light you carry as part of your job (LEO, power plant engineer, whatever). Usually needs reasonable brightness and very low operating costs. Can be heavy--you're getting paid to carry it, it's supposed to be work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Typical examples: Magcharger, Ultrastinger.

Specialty: as per Peter's description

I'd like to add a category of flashaholic lights that are made partly for practical use but largely for pure appreciation. These fit into the categories listed above but go to borderline-impractical lengths to gain small advantages over other lights in the category. But we sure like them here. Examples: Arc AAA LE (2x as expensive as regular AAA for a slight difference in LED color); Firefly (handmade, limited production light fractionally smaller than an Arc LS), McLux (my favorite light of all time in some ways).

Mim

Newly Enlightened
All the descriptions sound good to me/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif. An EDC to me is ideally waterproof because i want it to be a light I'm not thinking about. I can leave it in my swim trunks and jump in the water without going "*%$#! my light!" or if I have to walk through sprinklers, my wife throws my pants in the wash with the light in the pocket, etc. This is the ideal not always the necesity, but I like having features that are pre-thought out for an unexpected situation.

To the task catergory I would add that it needs to have an option for handsfree use but I won't specify be specific on how this is achieved. That depends on the task /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my opinion, EDC is not "multipurpose", because the light may do a little of everything, but not well. EDC has to be reliable, small, bright as much possible, but more important of all, has to last for long time. Because, by definition, you do not know the duration of the "emergency". The LS is perfect under all aspects, except runtime. Two hours are many, if you are changing a tire, but in the case of an heartquake of tornadoes or the like, I need light till the day after.
The possibility of exchanging brightness for runtime is a needed feature in an EDC. Waiting for the LS4...

Anthony

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
shrap,

I am not changing the EDC description based upon a light that has not come out yet (although would there be anything wrong with that?!) but upon my own needs, which of course are different than everyone else's. Earlier it was pointed out that an EDC is simply a light that you carry with you every day. And so it is. But I think that definition is perhaps too broad, because the point of carrying the light every day, as Peter points out, is that it is going to be the one you are most likely to have in an emergency. If you stage a task specific light in good places, such as in a glove box, then perhaps you'll also have a task light too, but you can't count on that because an emergency is always unexpected by definition. So, if your light can be extra bright to look down into a gutter so that you can see your car keys as you try to hook them with a coat hanger, or can be extra-dim so that it can run a long long time while you are trapped in a dark place, or can be medium brightness while you change a tire, and can be waterproof if you must get it or yourself wet, then the EDC light is better fulfilling the function of "the light you are most likely to have with you in an emergency."

Before I got my Arc LSL-S, I EDC'd my Arc AAA, which is a GREAT light for that purpose for many reasons, but not always bright enough to be up to certain types of emergencies. My Arc LS, while bright enough for almost all emergency situations (not that it wouldn't benefit by being brighter) does not have enough run time for others. Although I readily admit that it would certainly be a rare situation. So at the moment I often carry both the AAA and the LS, but when I get the LS4, I will probably only carry it.

My point is that the more useful a light is, in addition to being small, light, and easily carried, then the more useful it is as an EDC, don't you agree? I used to have a Photon light on my key chain, but the brightness falls off rather quickly with time, and I always worried about dropping my keys in a puddle, or about rain. Sure. It was an EDC light in the sense that I carried it every day, but it's no where near as GOOD an EDC as an Arc AAA or LS.

Fair enough? Am I making sense? Or did I miss your point? Perhaps we simply disagree as to the definition of EDC, which is just fine. But Peter did ask for opinions so I gave some of mine. Take it or leave it. Good talking about it, though. I think.

shrap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
shrap,

I am not changing the EDC description based upon a light that has not come out yet (although would there be anything wrong with that?!) but upon my own needs, which of course are different than everyone else's. Earlier it was pointed out that an EDC is simply a light that you carry with you every day. And so it is. But I think that definition is perhaps too broad,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the only defining characteristic of an EDC light is that it be carried everyday. It's not too broad of a definition.

This EDC light can be small, big, dim, bright... but it still qualifies as EDC.

[ QUOTE ]

My point is that the more useful a light is, in addition to being small, light, and easily carried, then the more useful it is as an EDC, don't you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. A perfect EDC would be useful in all situations, as well as having no mass nor volume.

However, working well in many situations is not a requirement for EDC categorization.

[ QUOTE ]

Fair enough? Am I making sense? Or did I miss your point? Perhaps we simply disagree as to the definition of EDC, which is just fine. But Peter did ask for opinions so I gave some of mine. Take it or leave it. Good talking about it, though. I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I just looked too much into your post. It sounded like you were *removing* lights from the EDC category because they were too large, dim, etc. when no such requirement exists.

BigMac

Enlightened
I guess an edc light is different for everyone. Shrap is right, it just needs to be carried everyday. As a junior in high school, my light needs to not draw attention to itself. Hence, anything much bigger than the arc aaa is out. However, someone may carry an HID in a backpack 24/7. That would make it an edc.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shrap and BigMac,

In a way, shrap, you were right, I WAS removing some lights from the EDC classification, I suppose. Thus my definition of EDC is different than yours and is also more restrictive. Please do not de offended by this. It is only my opinion. Peter also has his working definition given above, about which we are all commenting. His boils down to small, light, and easy to use.

Look at it this way: Peter is CLASSIFYING some of his lights as EDC and some as TASK. This does not mean that someone couldn't EDC an LS5, or an M6. They could. Just as someone could drive a Hummer as his or her everyday car. No problem. No offense intended. But as someone selling something, Peter wants to classify lights according to how they are most likely to be used, and according to how they are best suited to be used. This is, of course, a generalization, and there is no "right" answer. This is why he has asked as to participate, I presume.

Now, in fine, I suggested adding to his definition to arrive at the following for an EDC: small, light, easy to use, and useful in as large a number of situations as possible (this being the unattainable ideal, of course, along with zero mass and infinite run-time, etc. but still people can strive for it.)

BigMac

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
...(this being the unattainable ideal, of course, along with zero mass and infinite run-time, etc. but still people can strive for it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If it had zero mass, how exactly might we find it in our pocket? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess this is where the "find me" mode would come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.