FENIX PD 20, DOES IT HAVE A MOON MODE ?

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
HELLO CAN ANYONE TELL ME DOES THE FENIX PD 20 HAVE A MOON MODE AS THE BATTERY DIES OR DOES IT JUST DIE SUDDENLY WITH NO WARNING , BEEN THROUGH THE LITERATURE BUT NO MENTION OF IT .THANKS FOR YOUR TIME .LOL CLIFF

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the heads up just got my pd 20 so not use to it yet dont wanna get caught out by it as may not always have fresh batt to hand .cheers cliff

chibato

Newly Enlightened
same for the pd20, but it will turn back on in a lower mode unless, ok course, it was the low mode that shut off on you:p

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my PD30 runs low on batteries it flashes like it has a real low PWM problem on Turbo, High, and Medium. When you switch to one of those modes, it will stay on the right setting for a half a second before dropping to like a low-medium mode and flashing.

It's retarded. Low is the only mode that works.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
When my PD30 runs low on batteries it flashes like it has a real low PWM problem on Turbo, High, and Medium. When you switch to one of those modes, it will stay on the right setting for a half a second before dropping to like a low-medium mode and flashing.

It's retarded. Low is the only mode that works.
That would be the Low battery warning. I don't think the P2D/PD20 has that.

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
Hello thanks for the insight into the workings of my pd20 .gonna let the battery run flat to see what results .let you know .also apologies to gunner 12 for bad typo on previous post gotta sore thumb as a result of accident and it just makes things very awkward like typing etc . Lol cliff

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Caps lock? Caps usually means screaming and I don't think that's what you meant.

The P2D had moon mode ish and I don't see why Fenix would change that. Look at the graphs.

My P2D Q5 has no moon mode.

With an almost dead CR123 cell, my P2D will turn on about 3 seconds and slowly turn off...

The same battery in my Nitecore Extreme lasted about 15 minutes on minimal brightness (barely lights up, about 5-10 lumens).

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello regarding moon mode on pd 20 the answer is no it does not have it all it does is step down from high the next level until its in low mode and will then die at least you get lots of warning .just have to make sure gotta spare battery to hand .lol cliff

h2oflyer

Enlightened
My PD20 has no moon mode.

Same result on my second primary CR123 - Absolutely no warning !

Turn on light when battery is almost depleted and I get a flash then light stays on for about 1 sec then goes out. Doesn't matter what mode I was in or what mode I drop to. Three or four 1 sec repeats and that's it.

I guess this is great regulation and possibly I'm not seeing a diminishing output( I really watched for it on second battery), but I was hoping for a bit of a warning. I always carry a spare cell anyway.

The SAME BATTERY in my Extreme does the same thing as richardcpf's P2D.

Walter

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
With an almost dead CR123 cell, my P2D will turn on about 3 seconds and slowly turn off...
Same result here on my P2D. The runtimes give the appearance a slow decay once the battery is out of regulation - but that's only true with continuous running. With repeated turning off/on, you will can be surprised to find your nearly depleted battery won't light up beyond a few seconds of dim light - even though you still had fairly strong light before turning it off. Good to carry extra batteries.

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello yes i must admit the pd 20 doesnt give much warning of battery death so i always carry a spare battery . My aa minimag with the night ize iq switch and led upgrade does the same it just dies suddenly and wont work it caught me out the other day when working on my car . Gotta recharge the batts about every 2 days.lol cliff