Smallest AA or AAA LED Light?

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. I'm looking at getting a keychain light. I've had a pelican and a streamlight keymate which both use the little stupid puck type watch batteries. I want something that uses easy to find AA or AAA or even just one Lithium 123 battery. I want something that strikes a balance between runtime and output... in other words I don't want something that puts out 90 lumens and runs out in 30 minutes... but would like something that puts out a decent amount of light and can lest a long time. I know my inova X5 will run forever. It needs to be durable and I'd like it to be as short as possible... I don't need tactical teeth on the end or a fancy tail cap switch... just a twist on and off will work. What would you guys reccomend? I saw the Arc AAA LED and it's looking like a good one... but I want to know if there is something a little better out there. As I said... single lithium, AAA or even AA is OK. Money is not a consideration. Thanks everyone.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Fenix LD01 if you want a multi-mode light (can opt for low output long runtime, high output short runtime or something in between).

Fenix E01 if you just want decent output but long runtime.

You could look into a Zebralight H30 as well for a compact CR123 powered light. Possibly also a Fenix P1D.

Maybe a Muyshondt Aeon if you are willing to use a CR2.

vb14

Newly Enlightened
If you want to stick to AA/AAA, take a look at the Mako.

Edit: I missed the part that a cr123 cell is good for you. Then +1 on the Aeon (which uses a CR2 battery).

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Most AAA lights are close to the same size, here are a picture of some:
DSC_3226.jpg

The E01, ARC and S1 are low output light with a single level. The E01 and S1 has a purple tint (On the ARC it will depend on the model).

The S2 has two output levels.

The LF2X has two easy accessible levels that can be programmed, a 3 adjustable level, two programable strobes and two sos settings. The light has a very high output on max, but also has a very low setting.

LD01 and L0D has 3 output levels and the max. is also a high output, but is missing a really low setting.

The maglight is the weakest of all the lights.

My favorite is the LF2X, followed by the LD01, but if I need a light that can be turned on/off with one hand, it take the S2 (With some dexterity it is possible to switch the other on/off with one hand).

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened

Those all look like really nice lights but the Modamags and Lummi are on the high output low runtime side. I mean I'd buy them in a second if there was a better tradeoff between output and runtime.

Right now the standard I'm setting is the Fenix P1D which has 21 hours of runtime at 16 Lumens. Ans it's still in a compact size... anyone know of a light that does better? maybe 20 lumens for 30 hours? Or more?

Do you know the Output and runtime on Low for the Photonfanatic's Killer AAA TI

And do you know the Output the Muyshondt Aeon has at it's low power 40 hour runtime?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Nitecore D10, very low low level with great runtime. High build quality, small form factor for AA. High level is quite good for when you need it.

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
Look at the Nitecore D10, very low low level with great runtime. High build quality, small form factor for AA. High level is quite good for when you need it.

Their Low setting seems pretty low... Aren't they like 5 lumens and below? I mean the have incredible runtimes... but the brightness on low seems a little insufficient. Sorry guys... not trying to be hard to please... you've given me some great material here... I'm looking for something the 15 lumen neighborhood that can run 20 hours at least... but preferably 30 or 40... Sounds like I'm gonna have to do a single 123 battery to pull that off instead of AAA or AA. Plus those batteries usually make the light longer anyway. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the P1D.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Their Low setting seems pretty low... Aren't they like 5 lumens and below? I mean the have incredible runtimes... but the brightness on low seems a little insufficient. Sorry guys... not trying to be hard to please... you've given me some great material here... I'm looking for something the 15 lumen neighborhood that can run 20 hours at least... but preferably 30 or 40... Sounds like I'm gonna have to do a single 123 battery to pull that off instead of AAA or AA. Plus those batteries usually make the light longer anyway. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the P1D.

With dark adapted eyes, even 5 lumens can be very bright. And with the D10, you can ramp the light up or down so that you get the exact amount of light you want.

Btw, you can get the EX10 instead of the D10 if you want the same features but powered by a CR123 battery. The EX10 is noticeably shorter than the D10.

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
I have no doubt of the specs of the Aeon. I guess nobody just have time to verify it for themselves.

Huh? I read the link... I didn't see the output at 40 hours... please excuse me if it was there. I'll re-read it.

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
With dark adapted eyes, even 5 lumens can be very bright. And with the D10, you can ramp the light up or down so that you get the exact amount of light you want.

Oh for real? So it's bascially got like a dimmer dial on it... I could go half way down, or a quarter, or anywhere in between? If that's the case... the I'm definitely gonna give that another look.

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
Dude you're right... I just didn't understand it at first... I thought it was either Max or low... It's basically adjustable by percentage of total output. So 100% all the way down to off. The website says I see it at says 100 adjustment levels... Thanks for the education. Now this thing is looking like the winner.

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Huh? I read the link... I didn't see the output at 40 hours... please excuse me if it was there. I'll re-read it.

Just for future reference, Here's the specs of the Aeon:

The Aeon Flashlight

Brilliant by Design

The ultra-small Aeon is the result of several years of product engineering in an effort to produce the most useful lighting tool for a wide range of uses. A precise execution of practicality, useability, and durability have produced a flashlight small in size, elegant in design, and useful in practice. Only 2.15" by 0.7" small, shorter than your average pack of gum, the Aeon is tiny enough to fit just about anywhere, and since it fits just about anywhere, it will be there to provide illumination when you need it most.

Features

• Sapphire Window for Enhanced Strength and Scratch Resistance
  • Parabolic Reflector for Long Distance Illumination
  • R2 Flux Bin CREE XR-E XLamp? LED 114 Lumens Minimum Output, 50,000 Hours of Performance, Essentially Indestructible and Never Needs to be Replaced
  • 6061-T6 Aerospace Grade Aluminum Construction with Brass Innards
  • MilSpec Type III Hard Anodizing (Natural, Black, and Blue)
  • Chemkote Interior for Enhanced Corrosion Resistance
  • O-Ring Seals at All Junctions Weatherproof
  • Gold Plated Circuit Contacts
  • 18.5mm in Diameter by 55mm Short
  • 1.5 Ounces / 43 Grams Weight
  • Fully Regulated Two-State DC-DC Converter - 1:30 Runtime on High Mode, 40 Hour Runtime on Low Mode off a single CR2. Twist Activation.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The Aeon is a very good light and also rather small:
DSC_1795a.JPG

I believe that the only other small light I have with long run time is the LF2X on low power.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AAA Killer Ti

>>>"Do you know the Output and runtime on Low for the Photonfanatic's Killer AAA TI?"

here are the spec that i gathered:

The Killer Ti AAA Keychain Light (aka: AAA La Petite Killer)

Materials: Titanium
Size: 2.48" long x .56" diameter
LED: Nichia 5mm GS LED, bin W
Battery: AAA (any 1.5 volt Alkaline, Lithium, NiCad or NiMH)
Runtime: 8-10 hours
Brightness: 8-10 lumens
Price for Bare Titanium: $110

Introduced: Sept 6, 2008
Ideally suited for use with the Sanyo Ni-MH 1000maH AAA battery or the eneloop 800mAH AAA battery
Constant current Driver: RP Converter running at 40mA installed as the standard driver
12 mA driver (runtime 20 hours) is optional when ordered
Total length, not including split ring is 2.48"
Diameter of .56"
Custom-made silicone gasket to prevent inadverent battery movement when the light is off
Uses any AAA battery with a voltage range of 1.2V to 1.8V
Comes with an eneloop 800mAH rechargeable battery
O-ring sealed for waterproofness

Also available as PVD coated Titanium: $130
All the PVD coatings are extremely durable with great abrasion resistantance. The Black/Purple coating is quite 'sticky'--it has a non-slip surface, even though it is very smooth. The Black Hematite is very smooth, and very black. The Gold Killer is also smooth to the touch.

Maker: Fred Pilon aka: PhotonFanatic www.photonfanatic.com click here to email PF and for more info, click here