Malkoff + 6P: other good options?

tm3

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff module in a 6P looks like it fits my current criteria pretty well (form factor, type of switch, bright and floody). some of the modules require rechargables which i don't prefer, however.

i'm wondering what options may exist in similar lights, perhaps for less money by the time i get the 6P and add the Malkoff.

thanks for any suggestions!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a Solarforce L2M which is a 6P that runs on single cr123.

Email gene and he will make you a MC-E on direct drive that will cost alot less that the regulated one on his website.

The L2M with an MC-E will be smaller than the 6P, but same form,fit, and function.

It will run at 1.4 to 1.6 amps on a primary and make over 300 lumens for a good 40 minutes. :D

He made me a P7 P60 for a similar set-up and he said the direct drive will run fine on 3v primary, but less lumens and more runtime.:whistle::devil::whistle:

You could get this set-up for under $100 dollars too. If you ever wanted to get rechargealbes and you dropped in a 3.7v AW IMR 16340 it would make 500 plus lumens for over 20 minutes.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cheaper option to get something similar, but not a 6P host is Jetbeam Jet-III Military. You could probably pick one up for about $75 and it has 225 lumens high and programmable low. It's the same size and similar weight as a 6P.

I also have a 6P body, a clicky tailcap and a Malkoff M60WL and the total is over $100+. It's a single-mode light, but it's a keeper.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can get any of the 6P clones and use it to take in the Malkoff drop-in.

Cabela's had a special on their 6P clone (the XPG) a few months back, for $20 you got the flashlight plus a knife plus a useful holster (that fits several types of similar flashlights) plus 2 primaries (123's). I really stocked up when this special came out!

Now it may be a bit more expensive and you won't get the add-ons, but it will still be way cheaper than buying the "original" 6P.

You junk the incan drop-in and the whole setup works fine. Rechargeable 123's work fine in the tube as well.

And there are several other cheap options, Solarforce I see mentioned regularly.

I think when you want to make significant changes to a light, it makes sense to use a cheap (clone) flashlight as a base, since you don't need to pay extra for a warranty that will be voided, or incan quality when you will be junking the incan, or anything else.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something like the Fenix TK10 would work. Possibly the TK11 as well, but it has a smooth reflector, so it won't have as much spill. The fenix tk series have 2 modes.
Review HERE
The Eagletac T10LC2 is also a good option. It has a high and a "low" (more of a medium) mode, and the high is very bright for a light of its size. It can also run rechargeables if you really want to, but it is not regulated. It has very good regulation on cr123's.
Review HERE

Both have forward clicky switches, so they have momentary on capability.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
*edit* oops disregard this recommendation, I didn't notice your primary-only requirement.

M30 + 18650 solarforce L2 host from lighthound. If you dont trust the solarforce rev clicky, replace it with a 6P twisty. IIRC the parts are inter-chagable. That will be just as reliable as a 6P IMHO.

You'll get just as many lumens, but longer run times, and easier (IMHO) cell reloads in the field (1 cell versus 2).

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
*edit* oops disregard this recommendation, I didn't notice your primary-only requirement.

M30 + 18650 solarforce L2 host from lighthound. If you dont trust the solarforce rev clicky, replace it with a 6P twisty. IIRC the parts are inter-chagable. That will be just as reliable as a 6P IMHO.

You'll get just as many lumens, but longer run times, and easier (IMHO) cell reloads in the field (1 cell versus 2).

can you give a specific recommendation (model and where it is sold) for the 6P twisty? TIA

tm3

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the suggestions!

i'll sort through those options and probably have a follow up question or two.