LED light for Cargo Box?

dilbert

Enlightened
I'm looking for a LED light for my Yakima Skybox car top cargo box. Yakima makes one with several 5mm LEDs, but it costs $30, but this is CPF someone has to have an idea for one that is cheaper and brighter… or at least brighter.

I've looked at several of the puck lights that are available, but they all seem to be the push-on type. This push-on type switch won't work, since it's likely to be activated when I close the lid of the cargo box on a full load of gear.

The box is 92"L x 36"W x 16"H and opens from either side. I'm looking for something that I can mount on the center of the lid that will give a reasonable amount of illumination for loading/unloading/finding things in the box at night in a dark campground or semi-lit hotel parking lot. I'd like it to be an LED light and run on several AA or AAA batteries.

Any suggestions?

dilbert

Enlightened
I think both of those are the push-on type. Where you push the whole light and it turns on. My concern with these is that they will get turned on if the lid contacts some of my gear in the cargo carrier.

The golden dragon dot-it seems to use a motion sensor, which might work, unless it senses the motion of the lid closing as it gets closer to the gear causing it to turn on.

I like the looks of the dot-it linear swivel maybe I could tuck it away in a crease where it is less likely to interfere with the gear in the cargo box. I also like that it swivels, since the lid (where the light would be attached) is at an angle when the cargo box is open

Don't they make any of these with a simple switch on the side?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've seen a drawer light with a magnetic switch in the electrical aisle at WalMart. Don't know if it would work in your case, but you might want to check it out. In fact, I think I'll go there today and try to imagine a use for them.

Geoff

dilbert

Enlightened
I like the magnetic switch idea. What department was that in? Hardware/electrical, flashlights, other?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I saw the light on the aisle with extension cords, nightlights, powerstrips, etc. Good luck. I'm heading out in a few minutes. Thought of a drawer that needs one.

Geoff

Edit: Just checked my WalMart. Couldn't find it anymore. Looked like they'd done some spring cleaning. There were some clearance electrical items nearby, so don't forget to look for those if you don't see it.

Last edited:

dilbert

Enlightened
I looked around at Walmart, but I couldn't find the magnetic switch ones. They did have a nice selection of the Dot-Its though. I bought the Dot-It linear swivel because they had two little metal electrodes that you touch with your finger to turn them on and off rather than the click mechanism. Later I noticed that they would turn on randomly when just about anything lightly touched the electrodes, so they are going back to the store.

Later the same day I was in Costco and they had some triangular lights that were much brighter, ran on AA instead of AAA, and had a motion sensor activation with a 30 or 60 second auto shutoff. These should be perfect.

Now the main problem is I need a cargo box! I just refused delivery of my SECOND cargo box. Both of them showed up with damage. The first one was crushed in the front end and the second one (two weeks later) was cracked in the back. I'm starting to wonder how durable these cargo boxes are if they can't survive being shipped. I'm off to REI tomorrow to use my 20% coupon and buy one there...with the REI 100% satisfaction guarantee, I should be set.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Glad you found a light, dilbert. Sorry you weren't able to find the magnetic switch one, either. I do like the idea of one with an auto shutoff. Bummer about the cargo box. I'm sure you'll put the light to some use in the meantime.

Geoff