Fenix AA light question

DevL

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix L2D RB 100 with the Luxeon Rebel LED. I like the light a lot. It has a nice color tint and has been very reliable. I see they are no longer available and the new light is the LD20. I see it has an anti roll feature which was one of only two things that I felt needed improving.

The other thing I did not like about the light was that when you turned it to low it would powere up to full brightness for a split second and then drop to low power... it only does this on start up. Is that normal for a Fenix L2D and is that fixed with the new LD20?

I would also like to know what the beam tint is like on the LD20 compared to my current L2D RB 100.

Finally, what if anything else is different on the new LD20 vs my current light?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LD20 does not have the flash when changing modes, this was fixed on the later L2Ds.

The tint of the LD20s Q5 will probably be cooler than the rebel 100 that you have although individual samples will vary.

Due to a new (and larger) reflector the LD20 will throw better than the L2D R100 however the beam will not be quite as smooth. Otherwise the two lights are pretty similar and its more of a facelift than a complete redesign.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Finally, what if anything else is different on the new LD20 vs my current light?
I did a brief comparison between all the Fenix L2D heads (including the RB100 and Cree Q5) here:
Fenix L2D Q5 vs R100, R80, Q2, P4 Comparison Review: RUNTIMES+

To help you compare the L2D-Q5 to the LD20, both are included in my 2xAA round-up:
2xAA Round-up Review: Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, ITP, Eagletac, Jetbeam, Mag ...

In terms of tint, you would have to expect some variability. The RB100s were typically relatively warm-tinted (for cool tint LEDs), but the RB80s were quite variable. Cree Q5 tints will also be variable, since Fenix doesn't use defined premium bins AFAIK.

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
I found the same... I have one Rebel light ... a P3D premium 100, and the tint has got a slight (very slight, cause it looks white next to the beam from a maglight!) yellow tint to it, whereas the crees generally have a barely perceptible blue/purple/green tint.

Wouldn't mind seeing another batch of rebel led's used by fenix!

DevL

Newly Enlightened
So it appears that I wont have the power up jump activating low power on a LD20 but it will be ringy and not as warm... does the LD20 already have an OP reflector and would more aggressive OP or adding an OP reflector smooth out the ringy-ness? I know OP reflectors used to be an option in the L2D series. I like how smooth my RB100 beam is.

Should I wait for the warmer tint Cree LEDs to come out in the LD20? Would this tint be about like my current Rebel 100? I see battery life on turbo is reduced and power only a little improved... disappointing but I dont use turbo very often anyway. I also see the LD20 has a lower low... but does that mean battery life on low is increased as well? A higher high with less run time and lower low with more runtime would be fine just fine... I kind of wished my light had a tiny bit more throw anyway and the new refelctor and output should give me that. I just dont want to have to go to a ringy, blueish light to get it.

bullettproof

Enlightened
I have an LD20 Premium Q5 and it is one of my best lights you will not regret it.Very white beam throws great long run time easy to get batteries.Its regulated so the Lumen output is the same and its built very well.This was my first nice light purchase and I have got 4 more since then and the LD20 is still my favorite.

BUY IT YOU WONT REGRET IT.