Another SF "Trying to Decide"...

dca2

Enlightened
Possible 90-180 day deployment to either Iraq or Afghanistan. (8-12 months out)

If we go, our primary duty-Army Band, gigs at FOB's. Secondary-possible guarding EPOW's.

In preparation, I want a new, LED SF to replace my venerable E2e.

I have narrowed it down to E1B, E2LED or LX2 (I know, projected June availability) I want an easy to access bright light that will probably be clipped to whatever my outer layer will be, i.e. not in a pocket or under layers. Recharge cells are not a factor, I am counting on primary cells.

We also end up working hurricanes every year and I run the security detail for a staging area.

Any opinions and/or first hand experiences with light in the sandbox are greatly appreciated.

I already have an ARC AAA, Peak Matterhorn red, and Petzl tikka plus.

Thanks,
Dave

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the E1b. The stock LED is a thrower and if you wanted more light you could get the TnC E to C adaptor $27 dollars and in stock last time I checked. Then put a 6P bezel w/ M30 and a primary for more lumens and good runtime.

P1190010.jpg

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to suggest something outside of what you are considering but how about the Ra Tactical. Very rugged light with numerous programming options depending on your tasks. The clip while not the most aesthetically pleasing is MOLLE compatible, and runs the entire length of the light so it would be very secure clipped to the outside of your gear. This picture shows the shiny clip but the clip for the tactical model is black as pictured here at the bottom of the page.
The E1B would be good but the low may not be low enough if you want to avoid detection. You can program a really low level in the Ra to preserve night vision.

Stay safe!

Last edited:

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
What about the First-Light Tomahawk? NOD compatible in the Tomahawk NV model, MOLLE-compatible clip, small, compact form-factor and multiple levels of light. You could even have it mounted on your gear and still use it to light up whatever task you're doing at the time.

WDR65

Enlightened
Considering the other lights that you carry and staying within the three that you listed I would go for the E2DL as it is available now and has quite a bit more throw and spill than the E1B. Aside from the clip and switch from my understanding there will not be many differences aside from the obvious asthetic ones between the E2DL and the LX2. Therefore I would go for the one that is readily available. Not to mention the parts interchangebility between your E2e and the E2DL.

vegassig

Newly Enlightened
I have a g2LED w/ a malkoff M60 and E2dLED that I use on a daily basis for duty lights, both of them have been dropped numerous times and the bodies show it, but they both are super-reliable and put off great light. Have you thought about a G2 or 6p with a Malkoff M60? As far as runtime and lumens go you really can't beat that...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the E2DL is great, my only gripe is that it's a little head-heavy, so make sure that if you get it, don't clip it to loose surfaces(pants pocket, etc) or it will shake loose. a lanyard would be a worth-while addition to it.

the E1B is way too small and slippery to operate with gloves.

dca2

Enlightened
Thanks for ALL of the input. I am going to get the E2DL. That light is also one I can use when not running with the Guard (and it looks cool)Dave