Tiablo A9 Q5 swapped with MC-E

klm74511

Newly Enlightened
I have already modded several Romisen Flashlight, Trustfire 801 and Sgt Burkett from Litemania with SCC P7 and Cree MC-E led, but is arrived the time for my friend's Tiablo A9 with smooth reflector to remove the old Q5 and take a freshly new cree MC-E 4P configuration.

First step, I completely took apart every single piece of the A9, as shown on the photos below. This didn't took too much time.

TiabloA9-02.jpg

The project is to direct drive the MC-E from a 18650 Trusfire 2400mah.
I want drive the led at full power to obtain a wall of light.

I used the same board, due to is shape and the special driver holder inside the pill assembly. I removed all components on the board and soldered the + and - wires in a way to connect directly the battery to the led.

TiabloA9-04.jpg

I used a Cree MC-E bin K from DX 4P configuration for one 18650 battery.
I trimmed down the star to be allocated on the pill recess and I had to avoid to use the Tiablo black original led insulator due to different height of the All star and wires soldering, using a KD led insulator.
I applied enough heatsink thermal compound helping to dissipate the heat generated from the led.
Finally the new Tiablo is almost ready.

TiabloA9-05.jpg

I had to trim the reflector led hole to fit the MC-E that is slight larger than normal cree Q5 led.
I spent 20 minutes trying to find the best solution for led focusing.
I was aware that cree recommends to use the MC-E with OP reflector, but I think I have got a good result.

TiabloA9-06.jpg

I mesured at the emitter with 18650 Protected Trustfire 2400mah at 3.8V a current flow of 2.77amp.
The flashlight get warm but not hot after 10 minutes od continuous usage.
Unfortunately after 5 minutes the tailcap switch dead. Without any spare I soldered and trimmed to the correct lenght the neg spring directly to the tail cap assembly, having as result the first Twist Tiablo A9.
Now I screw in completely the tail cap to fire the monster, to switch it off I have to unscrew less than a quarter of turn the tail cap.
I left the swith on the tailcap assembly with the leads disconnected, in a such of manner that if I pushed it I obtain a momentary on, when the tail cap is almost conducting.
And due to the close tollerance of the tailcap threads there is no possibility that the cap get loose easily.

I took some beamshoot outdoor. Sorry for the poor quality, but has been taken with my phone camera.

TiabloA9-08.jpg

TiabloA9-01.jpg

TiabloA9-09.jpg

Is a master of throw with a good flood area, from long distance is visible a black center spot, that is not notable at 4-5 meters.
I played again and I was able to slightly improve the focusing of the led.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots.
We always like those around here. That's an impressive beam considering it's a smooth reflactor.

alohaluau

Newly Enlightened
That's a great mod! :thumbsup:

Maybe I can try that once I've acquired some modding skills... I'm pretty happy with my A9 at them moment to try and mod it.

Good pics to show what it looks like... :twothumbs

Cheers,
Luau

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I need your advice how to disassemble driver from TA9 housing?

Please read this https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/246243

I had a problem and even electrician did not now how to disassemble driver from TA9 housing so he had to improvise...

Please look at my thread and try to help sir... I would appreciate that very much...

Last edited: