CQ Field Day!!!

AB0WA

Newly Enlightened
So how many CPFers are planning on taking part in Field Day? How many CPFers are reading this and mumbling something about "those evil contesters"? How many CPFers have no idea what I'm talking about?

For those who are planning on participating, I thought it might be neat to see a list of the call signs that our fellow CPFers will be working under. My ARC AAA, ARC LS1 and I will be working with my local club, call sign KØGQ.

ABØWA (Eric)

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
In Granbury, Tx we'll be operating under the call KC5ORS (Oficial Radio Station)!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
IF Class F is the EOC operations class, then we are. As a matter of fact we have operated field day out of the EOC for the last 5 years! We set up our own antennas and power our radios from our own generator and operate out of the AIR CONDITIONED EOC! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif By Field Day the temp is reaching 100F here in North Texas. People were getting sick from the heat, so the Sheriff (a fellow HAM) suggested we use the EOC! We jumped on that one.

Came in handy last Memorial Day, when we got hit with destructive storms. The EOC/LEC (Emergency Operation Center/Law Enforcement Center) lost all their radios when the 125 ft free standing tower broke in half and fell through the roof of the LEC! We set up radios in the EOC and relayed messages to and from dispatch and the patrol cars. Five HAMs cleared the top the remaining tower and hooked up enough antennas to get the LEC back in operation. Took six hours. The city PD dispatcher used one of my mag mount antennas for over six months.

AB0WA

Newly Enlightened
Roy,

You are correct. Class F is the new "operating from the EOC" class. You're lucky to have such a good relationship with the local city. We're currently working with our local authorities to setup some sort of relationship, and we're not getting anywhere fast. I guess I can't complain too much, they do let us set up our field day station behind city hall.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that we will be in class 2A.

-Eric

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
As I said - Maybe a Class F for NYC ARES. We have a problem - one of the events we work always conflicts. This year, however, the Red Cross will have a brand new EOC for us to test, so we intend to combine the test with Field Day. 6 Antennas on the Roof HF-UHF

Willmore

Enlightened
I'll be working with the David Sarnoff Radio Club in concert with the New Jersey QRP club on the beautiful grounds of the Sarnoff Corporation here in central NJ. This will be my second field day (first was with them last year) and I can't wait! Sort of odd that I've got to renew my license this fall and I'll have only managed two field days. I guess it's my massive aversion to contesting and morse code. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We're going to try to do AO-40 for the points as well as a GOTA station and our normal coordination with state and local emergency agencies. Oh, last year we had our first joint DSRC/NJQRP field day, ran QRP and battery powered and managed our highest score ever. Hmmm, okay, let's do that again with some better antennas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last year I didn't operate any--I'm not big into that end of the hobby--but I did assemble a Small Wonders Labs PSK-10 for one of our 'all code, no theory' Extras. Man, I tell you, removing that CW test for Extra was the worst thing we ever did. I mean, you used to know who the CW nuts were because they were all extras. Now, you get 5 WPM extras and you can't tell them apart! Anyone might be a closet CW operator.....