3 "AA" UV flashlight - no alkaline batteries!

schuster

Newly Enlightened
3 \"AA\" UV flashlight - no alkaline batteries!

Just made an impulse buy on ebay - a Maglite-like flashlight having an array of 6 UV LED's and running on 3 "AA" cells. The packaging warns NOT to use alkaline cells, only "heavy duty". I questioned the seller and he said something vague about the manufacturer warning of reduced LEd life or increased failure rate. It does look to be direct-driven; so I guess the peak output current of the cells does matter, but are alkalines really that much more than carbon-zinc?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: 3

The "tampon string" flashlight I have (3-AA, 4 white LEDs) says to NOT use "heavy duty" batteries right there on the package - only alkalines and lithiums.
But what did it come with? That's right, "heavy duty" cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

FYI the flashlight got a "0 Stars - Pee On It!" rating from me. Not a rating I give out every day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
It's here if you're interested.

robk

Enlightened
Re: 3

I bought one of those, put NiMH cells in it and all the LEDs burned out. The seller replaced it, I put a 2.5ohm resistor in series with the head and it works fine. But I must admit it is a piece of sh*t. Good body for a 1W LS mod though!
Rob