Need advice on building a light....

Alero

Enlightened
Our deer lease is overrun by feral hogs and we are hunting them. But they are VERY smart and avoid us, big time, during the day.

We set out feeders and they come to them all night long, but from the deer blind, about 100 years away, we can't see them or sight them in the dark. And if we spotlight them, they run. And we don't want to shoot them on the run and wound them. That's just cruel. Plus, we donate the meat!

So what we'd like to do is design a light that we can place on a pole near the feeder that will go on at dusk and off at dawn. We'll actually need 2 of them probably, but they can run off the same solar panel and battery.

We did some testing last weekend and my MRV and my Romisen MXDL RC-G2
(with upgraded circuit and Q5) were the best lights for the task.

So we want to build something like this:

http://www.texasoutdoorproducts.com/newhoglights.html

But ours needs to be dusk to dawn and not motion sensing. Our hogs are too smart and used to humans for motion sensors. We tried that already.

And the LED needs to be much stronger than these probably are.

Soooo….

Anyone ever built such a thing or seen such a thing?

I was considering a pair of Q5 lights from DX and just removing the switches to wire them to the unit. At 800mah each, I figure I'll need a battery around a 12-18ah.

I'm not sure how big of a solar charger we'll need. How do you convert watts to ah? Do you think 11 watts, like this one, would be enough?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306865_200306865

The other option I was considering, was to get a couple dozen of those little solar garden lights and just replace the LED with something more efficient. Any suggestions there?

oldpal

Enlightened
A photo-cell switch to turn your light on at dusk and off at dawn should not be much of problem to purchase. I had one on a security light and it worked fine. This forum has mainly flashlight people, not battery guys. Maybe you should ask your question about the battery and charging requirements on the Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included forum. There are plenty of knowledgeable folks over there that may be of help. Then maybe just replacing the motion sensing switch on the hog-light will do.

Hugh

Turbo Guy

Enlightened
Your test light was using 800 mA (0.8A) but not at 12 volts. Most likely more like 3.5 volts or so.

.8A X 3.5 V=2.8 watts.
.8X12V= 9.6 watts.

A nonimal 12 volt PB (lead acid) battery is 13 volts fully charged and 12V when empty(fully discharged). You really do not want the 12Pb to be discharged lower than 12.2 no ,load.

A 11 watt solar panel would take a while recharge a 18Ah discharged to 12.2 volts. Figure about 60% discharged or approx. 11AH .
11 watts/13volts-=.85amps charge rate so 11/.85=12.9 hours.

Perhaps some nigh vision scopes are in order.:)

I just had a thought. I have several 12 volt florescent lights I use during power outages at times. They are rtaed 8 watts and use 0.5A but for some stange reason marked as 5 amps.. Nice soft wide area lighting and they cost about $10 at Big Lots and such places.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think buying a few of those "R2" drop-ins, making sure they have enough heatsinking, and a way to attach them to the powersource. To have one those drop-ins run for 12 hours straight, 60 watt hours is more then enough.

Volts * Amps = Watts
Volts * Amp Hours = Watt Hours

Alero

Enlightened
Anybody got a suggestion for a good, affordable night vision scope?

I assume IR is cheapest technology, but I don't really know much about them. Sorry to go so OT !