ZebraLight H501 Problem with 14500 **SOLVED**

concept0

Enlightened
I just got my Q3-5A H501 in the mail. It works great on NiMH, and flashes when I put the battery in like it is supposed to.

However, I'm getting no function with 14500 cells. It does not flash when I put in the cell and will not turn on. I'm using brand new AW protected cells that are freshly charged. I've tried three of them. I'm putting them in + terminal first (towards emitter), just like with the NiMH.

What's the deal? I've tried contacting ZL, but haven't gotten a response yet. Has anyone else experienced this or do I have a defective unit?

Last edited:

lebox97

Enlightened
Re: ZebraLight H501 Problem with 14500

same prob with both of mine as well... have not had chance to thoroughly check - but guessing the short + terminal end of my AW cell is not making contact :shrug:

concept0

Enlightened

I think you're right. I didn't notice at first, but there are a bunch of chips surrounding the + contact terminal may be preventing the battery from reaching the terminal.

What's the solution here? How do I add a tiny amount of height to the 14500 + terminal? Maybe a drop of solder, but I don't have any equipment....

Marduke

Flashaholic

Does the cell stick out past the end of the tube before you screw the cap on, or is it very close to the end?

concept0

Enlightened

Does the cell stick out past the end of the tube before you screw the cap on, or is it very close to the end?

I would estimate the 14500 is approximately 1.5mm below the end of the tube. By comparison, a Titanium LSD NiMH rests about 3mm below.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Screw the tailcap on with no cell installed. Mark how far the cap screws down on the side. Then screw the cap in with the 14500 installed. If there is any difference, the cell is too long due to the protection circuit.

concept0

Enlightened

Screw the tailcap on with no cell installed. Mark how far the cap screws down on the side. Then screw the cap in with the 14500 installed. If there is any difference, the cell is too long due to the protection circuit.

The cap screws down all the way just fine. I think the problem is that the + terminal of the 14500 is not reaching down to the + connection terminal of the light.

concept0

Enlightened

Well, that's what they make battery magnets for.

Gotcha... just wish I had one...

Can someone with a battery magnet and an H501 confirm that this works before I go looking for a magnet?

Any suggestions on where to get a suitable magnet? Lighthound?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

One would think someone at ZL would have tested this before shipping the headlamps. I placed an order for a warm tint H501 before all the reports came in. I never buy the first run of anything but with the hopes of warm tint jumped on it. With luck this will be worked out.

concept0

Enlightened

One would think someone at ZL would have tested this before shipping the headlamps. I placed an order for a warm tint H501 before all the reports came in. I never buy the first run of anything but with the hopes of warm tint jumped on it. With luck this will be worked out.

Right there with you. I jumped on the warm tint zebra train as well...

In their defense, there is much less standardization of terminal sizes on Li-ion batteries than primaries and other rechargables. But this is really frustrating, especially after buying a 14500 just to use with it...

Never heard of them.

Just small, powerful magnets that you can stick to the battery terminal in order to lengthen it a bit.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Didn't cy or someone here find that battery magnets would in some cases end up shorting out with some battery/light combinations? I would be careful using magnets (most often neodium rare earth magnets). A light made for Li-Ions or in this case a 14500 should not need a magnet to work correctly. If it doesn't work with the very standard AW type then that's not good. But you might ask ZL what type and brand they recommend for this light.

concept0

Enlightened

Didn't cy or someone here find that battery magnets would in some cases end up shorting out with some battery/light combinations? I would be careful using magnets (most often neodium rare earth magnets). A light made for Li-Ions or in this case a 14500 should not need a magnet to work correctly. If it doesn't work with the very standard AW type then that's not good. But you might ask ZL what type and brand they recommend for this light.

I've already sent them an email about this issue, but I haven't heard back yet...

Woods Walker

Right there with you. I jumped on the warm tint zebra train as well...

In their defense, there is much less standardization of terminal sizes on Li-ion batteries than primaries and other rechargables. But this is really frustrating, especially after buying a 14500 just to use with it...

Just small, powerful magnets that you can stick to the battery terminal in order to lengthen it a bit.

Thanks for the info. I use primaries and rechargables but one never knows in what direction the wind will blow in the future. If there is less standardization within Li-ion than maybe ZL tested with brands that others have not tried. I remember issues with the H60 and battery fit but know nothing about the topic. Heck I don't even know for certain if I am getting the warm tint light. Hope so.

concept0

Enlightened
It wasn't the positive terminal after all. Just as Marduke suggested, the tailcap was not making a connection. I thought the tailcap was screwed down all the way, but it was just very tight. I gave it an extra small turn and everything worked with the 14500!

Woods Walker

Good news. I would be interested in the brands ZL used. Maybe they fit even better. I must check out the battery section to learn the pros and cons of 14500.

Inspgad

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar problem with the H501W and AW 14500. The problem was
solved by reading this thread then fully tightening the tailcap.

Thanks fellow CPF'ers!