Looking for a weapon light

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
Searching didn't get me anywhere, so I figured I'd ask here :D

I'm looking for pistol mounted light. I'd like one that has the same output as my TK10, but everything out there seems to be both low output, AND low runtime.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Surefire X300 @ 110lm or Insight XTI Procyon @ 130lm. I own both.

Both are well built. The SF has a nicer beam pattern when wall sniping, but in TRW that really isn't noticeable. The Procyon is slightly brighter overall, but again, not really noticeable in actual usage. There is a real difference in price, however. I bought the XTI when it first came out - before the x300 was available. I love my Surefires (have LOTS), but I wouldn't feel I had an inferior light if I could only afford the Insight.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Don't get hung up on rated lumens, Fenix and surefire rate their lumens differently, so comparing published specs is not valid.

Surefire underate their output significantly in most cases, they measure the light that actually comes out the front of the light over the useful life of a set of batteries. Most other manufacturers give the emmiter (or bulb) lumens, ie what the emmiter produces at a certain voltage.

Therefore a 250 lumen light rated by emitter lumens will the same brightness as a Surefire light rated at 'only' 150 lumens. (the conversion between emitter lumens and out the front lumens is about 0.60).

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
i can't believe some of these weapon lights costing as much as the gun itself... i guess it's like slr cameras where the lens can cost more than the camera itself. in the mean time i should consider getting a gun to accompany my lights.

oldrock

Newly Enlightened
I am not in law enforcement and didn't want to spend a couple hundred on a weapon light but thought it might be handy to have a light mounted on my SHTF rifle so I am planning on using a little AA akoray k106. Just got to figure out a good way to mount it since it is thinner than a regular scope ring. Lumens wise, in high mode it shines a nice beam about 25 yards outside and is blinding bright at room distance.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a new compact Insight (IIRC) coming out. Ah, no, here it is, the Streamlight TLR-3! 90 lumens for 1.5 hours on one CR2 - this thing should be tiny, and it's only about eighty bucks.

Some G&P thing can be used (ideally with a Streamlight tailswitch that doesn't suck) in conjunction with a Malkoff on 2x123, and it's dirt cheap, but kinda crappy.

Still, for short runs and short ranges, it'd be impossible to beat with an MC-E module.

sv_sniper

Newly Enlightened
i can't believe some of these weapon lights costing as much as the gun itself... i guess it's like slr cameras where the lens can cost more than the camera itself. in the mean time i should consider getting a gun to accompany my lights.

When you are facing the situation which relies on your weapon light, you would really hope the light is 100% working.

Surefire is famous for their highly durable/reliable products and their products have been battle-proven. Don't bid on cheap lights. Surefire will "fire" every time for sure. :twothumbs