SF L1 Diamond with Dual LED : spot/ flood

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I really like the L1 and the two levels of lumen output. My problem was that I really don't like the NX05 and I was always switching from McFlood to NX05 and back. I really like the beam from the Pelican M6 reflector and I wanted to try some diamond bog so................

flood-on.jpg

L1D-side.jpg

Bezel-close.jpg

MORE INFO

Simply put, this light has a selection of a normal front mount reflectored and focused beam or a side mounted flood beam. Both can be run at the low or high output levels. A slight rotation of the head selects the LED and the tail switch powers it as per usual L1 functions.

This mod was the most ambitious and time consuming work I have tried to date. Working with existing components and coming up with mechanical solutions was a real challenge. I am real pleased and somewhat surprised that I actually pulled this off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't wait until night time to see how this light performs.

It does have a couple Achilles heels, one of which is presumably fatal. I believe one could over torque the head and brake or foul the switch mechanism. I didn't design or install any type of mechanical stop to limit the head rotation. The switch can be heard to click and there is good tactical feedback but I reckon that the light could be trashed in the hands of someone who didn't understand the mechanics. My other concern is that I suspect that the constant current driver could become toast if it was on and the load of the LED were removed. This could happen if the light is in constant on and the head were rotated to change LED's. Until I can confirm this, I will select the LED to be used prior to turning the light on. These weaknesses aside, I REALLY like what this light has to offer! Of course, I would prefer that the front end had a 5W while the side was 1W and of course 2 123 cells......

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Talk about your "side emitter"...
As usual, your work leaves me flabbergasted...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

You have raised the bar yet again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Very impressive work. A clever idea combined with very impressive engineering skills!!!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

talk about creativity and coolness. Don, your work has always been the light for the night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
holy crap...

don, you need to quit doing these things!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I never would have thought of that!!!!

Don, you are the MAN!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hey,

It's a holiday and were all at the dang computers??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks guys! I have been messing with this light and it is really cool!!! Man, I wish I could pass it around! *We* want a flashlight like this but done right!

- Don

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:

Thanks guys! I have been messing with this light and it is really cool!!! Man, I wish I could pass it around! *We* want a flashlight like this but done right!

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

we sure do!! i don't know how i'm going to be able to live without it.

John Frederick

Enlightened
I am green with envy...your creations are as good as it gets. Once again I'm astounded.

I think you just rendered your McLux obsolete /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Don - What does your brain do when you aren't creating some new idea regarding light? I can't believe you are not getting patents for all of these creations!!! I am quite sure there are many flashlight companies watching this forum, and taking ideas home. I suspect you don't have a problem with that, but you should get some compensation for being such a brilliant designer!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it!
Hmmmm, take my Brinkmann 2AA and run a wire from the BB400 to a two position push button switch. The other wire would go to the side mounted Luxeon (no optics) that has a threaded cap to cover it. The switch would be covered by a threaded cap on the other side with a label to warn to switch when light is OFF. Thread the head on, solder the wires to the switch and then put a roll pin in through a hole in the side to lock it in place.
It would look like Frankenstein's monster with a cap on either side of the head though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif It is probably a good thing that I don't have access to that lathe/mill/drill machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
Great work as always!

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
"And on that day, there was McGizmo. And he created the light." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks again you guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I keep coming into the shop and playing with this thing! Until you see the beam from a 1W in the PM6 reflector, you can't really appreciate what it does; especially with the two stage from the L1. I just did some rough light meter tests with the front end. There is no need with the side. Anybody with a McFlood has a reasonable idea except that the beam from this flood is considerably wider and still very even in distribution. That is on the high mode. On the low mode, I haven't seen any flood like it. It's perfect for holding close to a book or chart.

Anyway, on the front end and from roughly one meter (ambient subtracted):

Arc LSH - 310 lux
L1D (high) - 370 lux
KL1/E1e - 220 lux

And from about a foot away (ambient subtracted)

Arc AAA - 190 lux
L1D (low) - 30 lux

These measurements are obviously from the hottest spot I could find in the center of the beam. The angle of the direct flood from the front of the L1D is considerably wider than that from the NX05 yet still bright and useable. The center beam from the PM6 reflector is weighted more on center and then fades in intensity as you go off axis as compared to the NX05 which has a slightly larger diameter hot spot. The L1D on low is really kind of neat. It's like throwing a whisper. The center is hot enough to throw out a little bit. Probably perfect for cat burglars. Is that tactical? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I used 1W Q3L LD's in this mod. I haven't tried a 1W HD in the PM6 reflector but suspect that you would get a center beam that throws well but may be a bit on the narrow side.

The L1 is great for mods since the front end needs no brains. The PM6 is great for mods since the reflector is removable and pretty dang friendly. The head of the PM6 also has plenty of extra room.

If this thing had R4's in it, I think I could quit messing with these lights for quite a while!

- Don