Fenix LD20 manufacturing faults

DeFi

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I just got myself a Fenix LD20 and it seems to be a really nice flashlight. However taking a second view I noticed some strange things on it:

The top part, which contains the LED, has a strip with very thin anodization on it and I'm wondering if this is a common thing caused by some kind of holding mechanism during the anodizing process or if it's a real fault.

The other thing is, that one of the battery contacts on the top part looks like there's missing a part. There are two moon shaped contacts. Only one is covered by a plate of metal and the other consists of bare soldering tin. Is there supposed to be a second plate of metal on it or does this look the same on other Fenix LD20s?

Thanks for viewing
DeFi

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
Having just looked at the head of my LD10, you are right. There a definitely missing some parts. The left "pad" is missing and center battery contact does not look right but I am not sure at that. I think the center pad shound be more raised.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
just a guess:
the raised parts are to fight reverse polarity when batts have been inserted wrong way.
If there is one, or two ... how often will this happen?

Also: is that imperfection just inside, or at the outside, too?

I would not hassle because of these two things, as long as the outside and the function is not affected.
(means: if You like the tint, keep the light)

DeFi

Newly Enlightened
Thank's for the quick replys. I think I'll try to get a replacement then.

@yellow: The anodization fault is also visible 1mm to 2mm on the outside. I can't really judge the tint or the beam quality, because I don't have any other LED-flashlights to compare to.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you purchase it from? If its from 4sevens or lighthound they will take care of you real quick, and don't stress about it I have never seen anything like that with Fenix so your replacement should be fine. Even with the best company's like Fenix their can be some circumstance that causes a bad QC every now and then.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For anodizing a electrical contact has to be made, so the area on the head might be where the contact was placed which caused the difference in color.

As for the pad, it does seem like the other one is missing.

Things do slip through. You can go for a replacement if you want.

DeFi

Newly Enlightened
I just got a replacement light in my local globetrotter shop. Anodization and Battery contacts look perfect on this one. The beam is a little bit less smooth(only noticeable on a white wall) and a fixed exposure shot with my camera shows, that it's a good tad brighter. :)

DerrickYan

Newly Enlightened
Fenix have bad QC....

There are fiber on my new TK20's reflector...

Should i go for a replacement?