I'm a AAA skeptic... trying to "get it"...

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are AAA lights really bright enough and capable enough to win over a very satisfied single AA/single 123 light user?

I understand that for some people, small is the most important factor in choosing a small flashlight... if they couldn't carry a single AAA light, they wouldn't have a light at all. This thread isn't about that. It's about trying to understand the viability of buying a quality AAA light when the only advantage is being a little smaller and a little lighter, but at what cost in output & running time?

I don't have much experience with AAA lights, as the only one I have is a Streamlight Microstream... which is a decent light, I suppose, but I would never consider it a replacement for any of my single AA or single 123 lights.

In my mind, AAA lights border on novelty, having extremely limited usefulness. And I suppose for a particular need which requires such a small size, such a light may be a good thing... but if the somewhat larger single AA light (like a D10) is no problem carrying and having on hand, why would anyone choose a AAA?

I need to know... are there single AAA lights (other than uber-expensive exotics) with outputs anywhere near rivaling a good single AA? Do they have runtimes of any decent duration? Or are single AAA lights to be considered micro-niche lights with extremely limited applicability.

My thinking is that if I'm only going to have one small light with me... I want it to at least be a good single AA (D10) or single 123 (RC-C3 Q5)... or am I missing something? :confused:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
A picture speaks a thousand words.

img0001mdz.jpg

Left D10. Right LD01. Both running on primary.

Last edited:

Barefootone

Enlightened
Are AAA lights really bright enough and capable enough to win over a very satisfied single AA/single 123 light user?

I understand that for some people, small is the most important factor in choosing a small flashlight... if they couldn't carry a single AAA light, they wouldn't have a light at all. This thread isn't about that. It's about trying to understand the viability of buying a quality AAA light when the only advantage is being a little smaller and a little lighter, but at what cost in output & running time?

I don't have much experience with AAA lights, as the only one I have is a Streamlight Microstream... which is a decent light, I suppose, but I would never consider it a replacement for any of my single AA or single 123 lights.

In my mind, AAA lights border on novelty, having extremely limited usefulness. And I suppose for a particular need which requires such a small size, such a light may be a good thing... but if the somewhat larger single AA light (like a D10) is no problem carrying and having on hand, why would anyone choose a AAA?

I need to know... are there single AAA lights (other than uber-expensive exotics) with outputs anywhere near rivaling a good single AA? Do they have runtimes of any decent duration? Or are single AAA lights to be considered micro-niche lights with extremely limited applicability.

My thinking is that if I'm only going to have one small light with me... I want it to at least be a good single AA (D10) or single 123 (RC-C3 Q5)... or am I missing something? :confused:

DHart,

I don't know if you consider the Sapphire AAA and Arc Ti Arc AAA a "uber-expensive exotic" AAA light. McGizmo's Sapphire & Arc's AAA Ti light are one heck of a AAA light producing tool. Of course these AAA lights do fill a particular niche IMHO and are very practical tools for their pocket size purpose. If you haven't read about them here you go.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225136

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225178

IMHO they are not all that expensive for the lumen's they produce and their quality of workmanship. Although to each his own and our individual right to choose.

I also own a number of 123 lights and for their purpose and scope of use they to have their own utility of providing me light in a given situation. My use of the small Ti AAA light is for key ring use when I don't want to have the larger 123 light in my pocket.

I'll bet this thread will see many response's and points of view lovecpf.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeruel... that's exactly the kind of input I was hoping to have... something to open my eyes to the efficacy of a AAA light in a AA/123 world!

I think the D10 puts out about 110-140 lumens, depending on cell choice, right? Any idea what the output is on the LD01? (I'm guessing my Microstream has perhaps 30-40 lumens at most.)

sabre7

Enlightened
If you are perfectly satisfied with an AA or 123, and skeptical about AAAs, why would you to be need to be "won over"? To each his own.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeruel... that's exactly the kind of input I was hoping to have... something to open my eyes to the efficacy of a AAA light in a AA/123 world!

I think the D10 puts out about 110-140 lumens, depending on cell choice, right? Any idea what the output is on the LD01? (I'm guessing my Microstream has perhaps 30-40 lumens at most.)

LD01:
Three output modes:
27 Lumens (3.5hrs)
10 Lumens (8.5hrs)
80 Lumens (1hr)

LF2X:
Estimated LED lumens is about 100 - 170 lumens, depending on the type battery used. (by Khoo)
Probably 170 lumens if you use Li-on.

But of course, if you want long runtime, there's Arc AAA and E01, but not as bright.
From my experience, once you carried an AAA, AA lights feel kind of stubby. :laughing:

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are perfectly satisfied with an AA or 123, and skeptical about AAAs, why would you to be need to be "won over"? To each his own.

Because I'm a hard-core flashaolic! :huh: and Liteflux is about to release the LF2XT... so I want to like it, but am skeptical about whether the output will be sufficient to warrant spending somewhere around $60 for a AAA flashlight. :thinking:

(My Microstream has left me greatly underwhelmed with AAA lights... but perhaps I need some education@!)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because I'm a hard-core flashaolic! :huh: and Liteflux is about to release the LF2XT... so I want to like it, but am skeptical about whether the output will be sufficient to warrant spending somewhere around $60 for a AAA flashlight. :thinking:

(My Microstream has left me greatly underwhelmed with AAA lights... but perhaps I need some education@!)

If LF2XT is anything like LF2X, I'm definitely in. It has all that I look for in an AAA. Hi, Lo, clicky and clip.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
LF2X:
Estimated LED lumens is about 100 - 170 lumens, depending on the type battery used. (by Khoo)
Probably 170 lumens if you use Li-on.

WOW.... ok, now that's looking quite nice for AAA, that is, not giving up much if anything in output by going with AAA... NICE.
Sounds like my Microstream is nothing to judge AAA lights by. Small and light it is, but output sucks.

Thank you.

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
Here is an example of usefulness. A friend and I went for a hike up one of the ridges on our local mountain. We started at about 7900' and ended up going to almost 12,000'. We were not planning on going that high but just kept going.

Neither of us took our headlamps. Much of the way back down was after dark and on steep, difficult terrain. I had a LOD in my pocket and an older L2T in my emergency pack. We each used one and they got us down fine.

The LOD did the job. At times a brighter light than either one would have been nice to help us locate where we were but it was not a substantial problem.

gunga

Flashaholic
I exclusively edc an AAA light (was Fenix L0D, LD01 now Liteflux LF2).

I have an AA or CR123 light in the pack or jacket pocket, but the AAA always rides with my keys. They are very capable and very impressive for their size.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW.... ok, now that's looking quite nice for AAA, that is, not giving up much if anything in output by going with AAA... NICE.
Sounds like my Microstream is nothing to judge AAA lights by. Small and light it is, but output sucks.

Thank you.

Mission accomplished.

DHart >>>> AAA Convert.

:crackup:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mission accomplished.

DHart >>>> AAA Convert.

:crackup:

Yeah! Thanks for helping me empty my wallet! :crackup:

I presume the same increased output and longevity benefits are associated with using lithium primaries and rechargeable Li-Ions and NiMH cells vs. the lowly alkalines in AAA lights? (I use a protected 14500 Li-Ion in my D10 and NiMH Eneloops in my ConneXion X2, with L91's in the fridge for emergency use... can't bring myself anywhere near an alkaline cell...)

In a very small light like a AAA, runtime is not quite as important to me as brightness is.

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert, but all other things being equal the runtime edge and performance curves would seem always to favor the AA. That being said, I for one don't know what you can do in the short run with an AA that you can't do with a high quality AAA. As an example, I EDC some choice Peak Pacifics in both battery configurations - with the same emitter, same circuitry, same reflector, etc. With comparable battery voltage from rechargeable LiIons which are always topped off, it appears to me that each produces the same output in terms of both throw and flood. The same holds true as between AA's and RCR123's in my Peak Caribbeans.

For myself, and strictly because of the benefits of small, I never leave home (or even wander around in it) without an AAA in my pocket, although at night I'll always also have an AA or CR123 close at hand for those tasks that might take longer.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dances.... good to know! I can see carrying a AAA during the day, but like you, when I go out at night, I will have at least one (more likely two) lights with me... like a D10 and E1B or customized 6P running an 18650... so for me a AAA would just be an adjunct light... not a primary light. But if I ever HAD to rely on it, I would want it to have some decent potency! And in the car glove box I usually have a RC-F4 Q5, an MTE SSC P7 w/18650, and another customized 18650 6P of one sort or another... yes, I like to be well "lit". ;)

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you have part of your answer there. If someone is a very satisfied trading down to a slightly smaller light with less power capacity, heatsinking, and lower ability to drive the LED as hard probably doesn't make a lot of sense. Basically if size and weight don't matter there's no advantage to the AAA light.

This thread isn't about that. It's about trying to understand the viability of buying a quality AAA light when the only advantage is being a little smaller and a little lighter, but at what cost in output & running time?
I already said I believe the only advantage is size and weight...so what are we trading for it? Just some quick numbers from 4 sevens and Surefire

Fenix LD01 (AAA) on high - 80 lumens for about 1 hr
Fenix LD10 (AA) on high - 94 lumens for 2.2 hrs
Fenix LD10 (AA) on turbo - 120 lumens for 1.5 hrs
Surefire 6P with P60 LA - 65 lumens for about an hour

Even accounting for emitter lumens versus out the front lumens the LD01 is performing at about the level or the P60 LA assembly for about as long. A couple years ago that was the "bright tactical light." Compared to AA brother it's got less max output and less runtime...it's not too bad though. Pretty servicable high with plenty of runtime. At lower levels it can serve for quite a bit of time too.

and I think that is the crux of the issue...if you can only have one and need either maximum output or longer runtime, and the form factor isn't an issue then a AAA isn't your light. If like you suggest it's smaller or no light a AAA light can serve well. For some people it's not just about carrying one light; they want a backup. They will carry a AAA or 123 based light as a primary but maybe can't justify a second light of the same size. AAA is nice in that backup role. It's got enough performance for long enough without the costs of having to carry around another larger light.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooh and since you are looking at the 2XT the maximum drive currents for the 2X are
LED current at 100% output level : 350ma when using NIMH, 700ma when using 10440

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hey, the Microstream isn't all that bad. It's not competing with the ~$50 lights like the L0D or the LF2x, it's competing with the ~$15 Fenix E01, in all of its off-centered, floody, purpleish glory.:duh2: It does cost more money to get high outputs and multilevels. Not the point for a simple, reliable never-know-it's-there backup light.

Also, with regards to lux figures, the MS with its nice deep reflector, obtains comparable lux to the L0D on high. It just doesn't have that extra spill.

The point of these is that they are great backups, and not primary first-to-grab lights. If you want a more expensive, multimode, high-output AAA light, there are nice choices out there. If the alkaline AAA leaks in my MS, no big deal. If I needed it more, yes I would get some AAA eneloops, but the point is that I very seldom need it. I never notice my AAA light in my jacket pocket, but an AA light in there would get annoying for me. YMMV.

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
I believe the microstream is rated at 20 lumens. I own it and don't think its even that.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
... I think that is the crux of the issue...if you can only have one and need either maximum output or longer runtime, and the form factor isn't an issue then a AAA isn't your light. If like you suggest it's smaller or no light a AAA light can serve well. For some people it's not just about carrying one light; they want a backup. They will carry a AAA or 123 based light as a primary but maybe can't justify a second light of the same size. AAA is nice in that backup role. It's got enough performance for long enough without the costs of having to carry around another larger light.
+1, exactly. Changing from EDC'ing one multi-mode 123 light to one single-mode 123 light (and subsequently a multi-mode 123) & a single-mode backup (AAA) was quite an improvement for me. I really wouldn't want to carry a single-mode AAA as my only light either.