Another question from a new guy

SDryer

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys new member here. I've been lurking for about 4 days now and just ordered a M-MM PlusQ3 as I stated in the battery forum. I was all set to buy a Mini-mag because of all the ones I've bought through the years, I now cannot find a single one! Then I started reading some post about the module shorting out on the case, and wobbly heads, and a few other things, so should I stick with getting a Mini-Mag or a Brinkman, or the Mini-Mag Legend if I can find one? I've noticed there are Brinkmann and Mini-Mag fans on here. My local Wally world has the Brinkmann Black Max, and the Mini-Mag Legend, but it's the one that takes the 123 batteries and not the AA's. If I get the Mini-Mag I'll probably have to settle for the regular one. I picked up 4 NiMh 1800's and they are on charge now. I'm open for suggestions, so I'll listen to everyones opinion. Thanks
Regards SonnyD

jtice

Flashaholic
Ummm, I think you mean the Brinkmann Legend.
I dont think here is a MiniMag Legend.

I have not played with many of the Brinkmanns, I am a MiniMag fan... BUT....

I am a fan of the light itself,,,, not the light it puts out, I hate the rings and weird shapes in its beam.

I am going to buy a MadMax400 Q3L soon, and put it in one of my 3 MiniMags, and I am also going to get a Opalec Newbeam for one of them.

I know the Brinkmann is supposed to be alot better about not shorting out the module.

robk

Enlightened
The Brinkmann Black Max is a nice light, but cannot be used with a drop-in like a BB400. It doesn't have a "lip" where the bulb holder/switch mechanism resides. What you want is a Brinkmann Legend AA. Not a bad body to mod, but the tail switch can get flaky (but so can the Kroll on a Mag). I did put a BB module in a Black Max by bending in the thin aluminum ears, but there is almost no heat sinking, and since a Kroll doesn't fit (thread), there's no way to turn it on and off!
Rob

SDryer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, and yes jtice, I guess I'm just on "newbie" sensory overload!, you are right it is the Brinkmann and not Mini-Mag. Still having a hard time finding the Legend, seems everyone has the Legend LX, but not the Legend, but I'll keep searching. Again Thanks to all.
Regards SonnyD

Raindrop

Enlightened
I still have about 3 dozen Mini Mags that are about 4 years old that I had left over from a sales promotion so I can't comment on the new versus the old but mine worked fine. The Badboy 400mA and 500mA conversions I did on a couple of my Mini Mags couldn't have gone smoother. I have been playing with them the last couple of nights while I wait for a some of my other lights to show up and I have to say that I am impressed. After using both of them, my 400mA Q3L is probably the best way to go.

Look around some more because I have seen the Mini Mags all over the place. Have you looked at Home Depot??

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raindrop -

Q3L...don't have one...want one.

Your 3 dozen 4 year old M!ni-Mags may be a more precious commodity than either of us know. From reading posts here, it is apparent that the IDs of your M!nis are slightly different than newer M!nis which makes them more conducive for modding. Don't be surprised if someone wants to buy one.

SonnyD -

You have made an outstanding purchase when you have acquired anything from dat2zip. I have a couple BBs and one MM.

As far as what you chose as a host remember if you go with a M!ni-Mag get the Kroll clickie. The advantage of the Brinkman is that it has a lock out tail cap clickie already. I prefer the M!ni with Kroll. I think preferences among members may be 50/50 on this issue. Since it is a matter of personal preference and since they are both under $10.00 I might suggest that you get both and decide based on comparison.

Oh yea, welcome to CandlePowerForums. You will see the phrase "get both" often...kind of a tongue in check joke but rings true and IMHO rings loudly for your question.

- Jeff

jtice

Flashaholic
Raindrop--------
Why you say the 400mA Q3L is the best?
Im going to get one of these us=nits soon, just dont know which one to get yet.
How much brighter is the 500? Why choose the 400 over it? (runtime?)

Im going to get a Opalec Newbeam for runtime, and MM or BB for brightness. Which would be the brightest and whitest? And still run AT LEAST an Hour?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
400 actually be better. It should be differ slightly in term of brightness with 500, may be brighter or dimmer. But, the runtime is longer and you did not drive your lux as hard. Also, you can be sure you got a good led, not some greenie or violet.
Brightest is BB. Even though it was said that MM is brighter the first time, i never get them (2 of my madmax) to be brighter than BB at any given time, with any battery.
BB run around 90 min before dimming, while MM 120 min. Opalec around 2 hrs, i think.
Get BB400+q3L! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif