SUREFIRE G2 LED QUESTION

dogtag

Newly Enlightened
I'm a new guy checking in with a question on the surefire G2 LED. I am pretty pleased with the 65 lums it puts out. I also just learned that I can replace the lamp assymbly with the P61 Lamp assymbly which will supposedly increase the power to 120 lumens for 20 minutes. I was wondering IF anybody here can tell me if there is any very significant differance based on anyones first hand knowledg. I am also wanting to know if there are any pressure switch caps with a pigtail that I can buy for it, and if so where at? I am wanting to use it for my tactical winchester 1300 shotgun for a home defense system. Also would the shock of the 12guage recoil damage the lamp assymbly to where it will break or is it a pretty sturdy assymbly in the G2 LED. Thanks, any help or advise would be mucho appreciated.

dogtag

zven

Enlightened
I've got both the P61 and P60L lamps, and the P61 lamp does give you a pretty significant boost in light output. The hotspot is much larger, and WAY brighter than that of the P60L. The spill of the P60L looks brighter (and more useably so) to my eye than the P61.

If you primarily use the hotspot of the beam, then you may find the P61 worth the loss in runtime. It's a nice, wide, bright hotspot, and I imagine it would be great companion for a firearm.

If, however, you use the full beam of the light (both hotspot and spill), I don't think the increase in output with the P61 would be worth the huge loss in runtime.

Regarding the lamps' use as weaponlights, they're both designed with that purpose in mind. The P60L can handle recoil with no problem. The P61 (as with any incandescent), however, would be susceptible to recoil unless in an impact-resistant head (as with the M2).

Myself, I'd definitely take the P60L for general everyday purposes. For occasional use (particularly self defense) I might take the P61, but probably only if I had a backup light on hand - after all, 20 minutes isn't a lot of runtime.