New girl needs help on an EDC

justlux

Newly Enlightened
New girl needs help on an EDC

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a small EDC light. I live down an unlit path and want to use it for finding my naughty dog in the dark.

Wyeast

Enlightened
How small is "small"? A 2AA light (the size of a mini Maglite), 1AA?

What price range are you looking for?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Justlux! :welcome:

I think the first order of business is to get an LED dog collar for your dog. That will make him highly visible regardless of the type of EDC that you get.

As for an EDC, if you're looking for something that's "just enough" to see your way on an unlit path, the River Rock 2AA from Target is inexpensive and bright for it's size. If you're looking for something brighter and better, the Fenix P3D series is quite good. My P3D-CE is my favorite EDC. It's small enough to be unobtrusive, and it's multilevel light output can adapt to many situations. It can go from dim to really, really bright with a tap of the tailcap.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Definite 2nd on putting a light on the dog, that'll go a looong way to locating at night. When camping I used to strap a glowstick onto our dog's collar, because he used to dive into the woods chasing after squirrels. :devil:

If you can't get him to take a whole new collar, something durable that clips on like a NiteIze SpotLit might do the trick.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
We'll need more info to find a light that fits well.

What is small to you?
What kind of batteries?
Multimode?
How much throw?
Price?

Putting a small light on the dog's collar might be a good idea too.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Photon is right the Target River Rock 1AA is perfect. There is a little black tactical one from RR with a clip and lanyard for $24. You could clip it in you pocket plus use lanyard so you dont drop your light in the dark. You dont need to buy expensive batteries.You can also check out the Inova lights (X5, XO, XO3 etc.) which I recommend getting the Microlight for you dog it has a hi setting, low setting and sos.

Nocam

Newly Enlightened
im thinkin either a d10 or ex10 depending which battery you want to use.

1dash1

Enlightened
Small EDC for finding your dog ... :thinking:

Please give us a little more information:
  • Price range ($10, $20, $50, etc.)?
  • Runtime needed (30 min, 1 hr, etc.)?
  • Battery preference (AAA, AA, CR123A, NiMH Rechargeables, Lithiium Rechargeables, etc.)?
And welcome to CPF. :welcome:

Calina

Enlightened
Good throw is probably a must if the dog wanders away at all.
A LED on the dog's collar seems like a good idea but the small batteries don't last very long. A reflective or a fluorescent dog collar would probably help.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Please remember to make suggestions that will be easy for her to obtain, I don't think she can just run to a Target store seeing how she listed her location as UK.

I think a Fenix will do just fine.

Bill

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the LF5XT, it has a nice parabolic reflector design. Programing takes some work, but it is rewarding after you figure it out.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!!!

A Surefire L1 is my recomendation. The low is good for navigation and the hi-beam will be good for spotting a wayward pooch. LEDs are really good with reflective material. A L1 and a reflective dog collar, that would be my choice.

Cheers

fenixmad

Banned
I'd suggest the Ultrafire A1 but if you want to spend a little more money for a 2 year warranty in which they'll simply swap it for a new one if it dies then i'd suggest a Fenix P2D..

Benefits of the Ultrafire A1 over the Fenix.

Cheap, brighter than Fenix, low mode is lower than Fenix, it gives Strobe and SOS as well as 3 levels of brightness, has a glowy tail cap for seeing it in your purse.

Benifits of the P2D over the Ultrafire A1.

O-Rings at the head, build quality is much better if you drop the Fenix it's a lot less likely to break, if you drop it in water no water will get in (the A1 will let water in at the head) the Fenix is HAIII which means it's less prone to scratches. and the real reason is that you can send it back to get it replaced if anything happens to it where as the A1 you'll find you'll have to spend another $$ on it.

I've found the A1 to be quite reliable and it looks nice and so far no issues just keep it out of water and rain.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to justlux --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

I really like yer' avatar photo. Cute puppy sleeping. :sleepy:

Good Luck on your quest for the perfect flashlight.

_

Patriot

Flashaholic
Any of the Fenix AA lights should fit the task. They take standard cell, they're very bright with multiple levels and they won't cost you terribly much. They also have a very good reputation around here. If at anytime you decide you want to use rechargeables, those will work too.

I like the LD10
https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_50

justlux

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help. Here's some more info.

Small to me is 9cm or shorter.

Battery = CR123a

Not bothered if multimode or not.

Throw = as far as possible.

Price = up to £120

Runtime = 40 mins+

Waterproofness = i need it to be waterproof as it rains here 75% of the time :mecry:

Jess