Any TK40's out there had any accidents?

AusKipper

Enlightened
Just been looking at my TK40 compared to my TK10/11 and been wondering what would happen if i dropped it from say 2m onto concrete and it hit head first? The head on the TK40 is of course a fair bit bigger, and the metal around it is a fair bit thinner, which would make it MUCH weaker than my TK10/11 . I'm just a bit worried it may break?

Has anyone had a decent accident with their TK40's yet? Care to provide me with a damage assessment? or are we all still being very careful with our new toys :p

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
I dropped mine last night from about 5 feet up and it landed on the side of the bezel. There was a slight scuff in the anodizing and the lens was fine.

fiftycalibre

Newly Enlightened
The only thing that has happened to mine was when I took a corner hard, and it flew off the seat and onto the floor. I heard a tinkling noise and thought I broke the TK40. I pulled over and there was no damage at all.

AusKipper

Enlightened
At the same time I posted this thread I sent an email to Fenix to ask if they performed any drop tests....

They replied today stating, in summary, that they dont do any drop tests, they dont know any customer that has done any, and that they suggest that I dont as I may damage the circuit :(

Anyone wanna drop their TK40 from shoulder height onto concrete and tell me what happens? ;)

AusKipper

Enlightened
My own TK40 had an accident last night, fell off a 4 drawer filing cabinet (I was being clumsy in the night) onto the concrete (probably about 1-1.2m) and chipped the anno in the tail cap.

Other than that its fine.

I also received another reply back from Fenix stating that they do do unpublicized (so i'm not sure if they will be annoyed at me telling you this..) drop tests, 20x from 1m, that was performed on the TK40. Fenix said the appearance is damaged (of course) but the function was still fine after 20x 1m drops.

I then asked if they could get the already damaged one they had lying around and drop it from 1.8m for me, and my reply was that the engineers advise that the TK40 should be able to survive a drop from 2m and still function fine. I still dont really want to go and test it myself though :p

AusKipper

Enlightened
This was a review by some police blog ... a tough light from their experience.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2009/05/05/fenix-tk40-flashlight-review/

Wow, excellent link, thanks for the read.

I must admit when i first got the light i definitely didnt even think it deserved the "Fenix" name, let alone the TK prefix. I still dont think it deserves the TK prefix, there just isnt enough metal in it, but now that I have dropped mine, and read more articles like that, and spoken to Fenix about its durability... I think it can have Fenix written on it :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just been looking at my TK40 compared to my TK10/11 and been wondering what would happen if i dropped it from say 2m onto concrete and it hit head first? The head on the TK40 is of course a fair bit bigger, and the metal around it is a fair bit thinner, which would make it MUCH weaker than my TK10/11 . I'm just a bit worried it may break?

Has anyone had a decent accident with their TK40's yet? Care to provide me with a damage assessment? or are we all still being very careful with our new toys :p

Still VERY careful. When outdoors it hasn't left my hand.

Drudge

Newly Enlightened
Went for a midnight swim in a five foot deep chlorinated pool. It was under less than 30seconds and luckily its been two days and not a single problem :twothumbs

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the others noted, aussiebob's lite hell answers all doubts ;)

Oh boy, that is a true nightmare. I thought he ran over the light sideways with the vehicle, not along its long axis. And yet the reflector and glass survived.

I am so buying this light!! All the doubts about 'too thin' aluminium put to rest.