Got a second?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj

Newly Enlightened
Okay, bad pun but I couldn't resist.

I'm sorely tempted by the LS seconds that Arc has, but at close to $70 (incl shipping) it's not exactly an impulse buy. How about it folks? I'd like to hear from people that have taken the plunge into the unknown and bought a second. What do you think? Was it worth it? Cosmetic or beam/tint issue? I know at the price I shouldn't complain with whatever I'd wind up with, but I would like a little feedback before I go...

thanks

-bj

stork

Newly Enlightened
I took the plunge and bought a second about two weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with my light. I was fortunate to receive exactly the light I had hoped for (LSH-P). But after playing with my light I believe that no matter what I was sent I would have been very pleased. The quality is outstanding. My light makes my surefires look very yellow and sickly. In fact it makes everything except my Honda S2000's HID lights look yellow. Take the plunge you will be pleased.

soa

Newly Enlightened
I bought a second on a previous promo - and despite the swingeing shipping to the UK it was well worth it.

I'd suggest go for it.

obeck

Newly Enlightened
I have two seconds... and LSH-P and an LS1. LSH-P is *very* white, had funky anodizing on the 123 tail LS1 has a definite blue tint and a pretty crummy anodize job on the body (perfect tail, though).

I bought the LSH-P seconds from another CPF member, the LS1 directly from Arc. All in all, I spent as much for both lights as I would have for a single perfect LSH-P, so I am happy. Had I purchased just the LS1, I would have come away with the impression that the seconds aren't worth it, as my BB400/Q3 is whiter.

So, you pay your money and you take your chances. The seconds have a 14 day return policy.... you are out only shipping if you dont like what you get.

obeck

Newly Enlightened
BTW, when I posted looking for an exploded view of the Arc LS, my purpose was NOT to violate someone's copyright, but to replace the very blue emitter in the LS1 with a white emitter.
The anodizing on the body doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I like a really white beam.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
i've had 6 arc 2nds
1 was a original SLS serial 69, i popped 9 UV leds in it, but messed that up.

sold one of the arc 2nds

converted 3 to colored leds with McFloods, one Royal Blue, one Cyan, one Red, converting my other 2 to Colored also, Royal Blue and Cyan.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a couple of Arc-LS Seconds.
One is Royal Blue (First Run #029), and there's nothing at all wrong with the beam it makes; just some color mismatch of the HA-III between the barrel, the front of the head, and the back of the head.
I also have one with a White LED in it (First Run #112), but since it isn't right here by the computer, I don't know why it was a second. Probably just an anodize color mismatch like the royal blue one.

paulr

Flashaholic
I have two LSL-P seconds, both have a few tiny holes in the HA finish, no problem. Both have bright LED's (brighter than my BB400 which uses more current) but both have violet tint in the beam, one more pronounced than the other (the BB400 is neutral colored by comparison). I think the Arc LS's are nice lights but overpriced at the amounts they usually retail for. The seconds at $60 each are a good value.

mahoney

Enlightened
I recently purchased and received 2 seconds from the "current batch". One is an LSH-S, not sure why it's a second, the beam tint is a little yellow/greenish, really only noticable in comparison with another LS, and some machining chatter marks are visible on the head, but the anodizing is OK on the head. The anodizing on the battery pack is a bit mottled.
The other is an LSH-P. This came with a battery pack that was not removable. For a brief second this was amusing, after all seconds are only guaranteed to light up, there's no stated guarantee that you can change the battery so it will continue to light! Someone had obviously tried to use pliers or pipe wrenches to remove the battery pack, leaving major scrapes and damage on two sides of both the head and battery pack. With some custom fit vise pads, and a strap wrench, and a suprisingly high amount of torque, I was able to remove the battery pack without causing further damage. Once the battery pack was off, it was clear that the male threads weren't cut deep enough. Fortunately the female threads in the head were not badly damaged and I was able to use it with other battery packs. ARC sent a replacement for the defective battery pack. I can't say I'm very happy about this second cosmetically but it does have a good bright slightly bluish beam.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my second LSH-ST more than my firsts. It's WHITE and not Blue nor Purple not Green. Makes my KL1 look so purple. Slight HAIII cosmetic problem at the tail and part of O-Ring split out from the front. I fix the O-ring. The HA3 marks on the tail distinguish the second from my firsts. I am not troubled by the marks. I actually love them.

It makes the light look old and used, borned! character marks! Fedex actually did it, less than two days from USA to Australia! Wooott. I guess it's ARC who dispatch the goods faster. It was mid april back then. I have the urge to get another second but I have too many of LSx. Let somebody new have it.

Peter should have QC the HAII before assembling the parts. Then he could sell off his empty dead bodies to the museum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vince.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one second: Rev1 LS and it is both White and bright.

Mr. Gransee is a perfectionist, and most of his seconds would be firsts in a Mass Production setting (consider the wide variance in emitters with the CMG Reactor).

The Arc LS is not a mass production light. At least not in the terms of millions of them being made in a factory.

Better to have seconds and recoup some funds, rather than to junk those and lose those funds entirely (simple business logic).

bruceclay

Newly Enlightened
I have three seconds. The first is my most cherished. It is a first run and shipped with three b'packs (the single AA twisty). I keep it tucked away in a safe place and hardly ever use it as I covet it way too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

The second is also a first run. The third with I recently purchased is my "carry" light. All three are excellent and my favorite flashlights.

I will be ordering more.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying a used LS from another CPF member would also be a good idea. I bought my LSH-P used, and it was worth it! The light is so bright and VERY white.

bj

Newly Enlightened
Well, since Pi and Bruce chimed in and revivied this thread, here's an update pertaining to my original question.

I picked up an LHS-S during the independence sale, at $70 IIRC, it was about the same $$ as a second at regular price. Shortly after, I picked up a 'first run' LS from a fellow CPFer. Don't know if it was a first or second, has a bit of a violet tint, but it was also a very good investment.

I've been quite happy with my two LS's. The newer one is my EDC with a twist tail - it just seems to make the difference in carrying comfortably over the tail switch. The first run sits on a 2AA pack (also bought during Peter's sale) in my briefcase.

I already had the obligatory AAA on my keychain. Bought a few AAA seconds from one of the CPFer's that bought a lot during the auction. These went to the wife and kids. They looked very good cosmetically, mostly seemed to be issues with beam shape, most weren't perfectly round, but all were perfectly usable. And that is the key, usability. They are all little works of art, but above all, they are tools.

SpectrumTic

Newly Enlightened
Texas--- Proud owner of Arc LSH-P 043 (Second), Se
Obviously, it appears there is a wide range of seconds out there (as one would expect). I was lucky enough to get an LSH-P that just had some 'crazing' on the lens that really doesn't appear to affect the beam in a major way. In the "Arc Roll Call" thread, there are more descriptions of seconds for those who are interested.

In my opinion, a second is a great buy.

SpectrumTic

Status
Not open for further replies.