Ready to buy Solarforce L950M.....

rjrivero

Newly Enlightened
Are there any other lights in the same category I should consider before pulling the trigger?

I've read as much as I could before my brain started hurting. I think that for the light/dollar this light stands out. If you have a light I should consider, please let me know!!

Thanks for the education.

RJ Rivero

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
seeing that you are new here - and if you believe me when I say I have tried most of the latest big throwers - expensive and cheap - then my advice would be if you could squeeze a little more $ out - I would go for the EagleTac M2X as you get a lot of light for your money - it is more compact has more spill light and throws further than the L950M also it has adjustable output - so you are getting more of a multi use light than just a thrower like the L950M.
Knowing the nature of throwers (as in how they are designed to project light) thats all they are good for and after a while you will notice other than size/heft that they are no good for general lighting - which will lead you to buy another smaller floodier light costing you even more money - so IMHO the M2X is the closest light that I have that can do most of the things you need in a light - the only thing it needs extra is a defuser and it would be great - and with the CPF discount they can be had for about $140-ish delivered :twothumbs

Last edited:

rjrivero

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Glenn7. Do you like the Cool White light or the Natural White light options better?

MIKES250R

Enlightened
All these Solarforce haters. I do not understand. I have one and I love it. Mine has been modified with an extension tube and a smooth L2 switch. I have run it for over an hour and a half on high with no problems. It never got so hot that you couldn't hold it and there was no perceivable decrease in output. I love my Solarforce flashlight.

rjrivero

Newly Enlightened
All these Solarforce haters. I do not understand. I have one and I love it. Mine has been modified with an extension tube and a smooth L2 switch. I have run it for over an hour and a half on high with no problems. It never got so hot that you couldn't hold it and there was no perceivable decrease in output. I love my Solarforce flashlight.

I don't think he's a solarforce hater.
Just pointing out the options to him.
I appreciate all the input. It seems I can't find a Solarforce L950M in stock anywhere, so I'll either have to wait, or pick up a different light. I have an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach that finding this forum is going to cost me some $$......:sssh:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Are there any other lights in the same category I should consider before pulling the trigger?

I've read as much as I could before my brain started hurting. I think that for the light/dollar this light stands out. If you have a light I should consider, please let me know!!

RJ Rivero

There are many lights, and they all have smaller or larger differences, some lights are good throwers (But at long distances they can not match a single die led), some have more flood. User interface and how many levels and flashing modes they have, are also different.

I have a few of them and like most of them, but for different reasons. The OLight M30 is great due to the small size and high output, the Legion 2 is great due to the long runtime, high output and good throw, etc.. The EagleTac has a big minus with me, not for its light (Which is great), but because it will drain the batteries in 4 months, even when not used.

DSC_5078.jpg

DSC_5079.jpg

rjrivero

Newly Enlightened
There are many lights, and they all have smaller or larger differences, some lights are good throwers (But at long distances they can not match a single die led), some have more flood. User interface and how many levels and flashing modes they have, are also different.

I have a few of them and like most of them, but for different reasons. The OLight M30 is great due to the small size and high output, the Legion 2 is great due to the long runtime, high output and good throw, etc.. The EagleTac has a big minus with me, not for its light (Which is great), but because it will drain the batteries in 4 months, even when not used.
I always appreciate the words of experience. Which of those throwers do you find you use most often? Which one do you find most useful?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I always appreciate the words of experience. Which of those throwers do you find you use most often? Which one do you find most useful?

I will object to calling them throwers, they are not, look at the reflectors and you can see only JetBeam and Legion 2 has deep smooth reflectors. They depends more on brute force to throw some lights at a distance.

The one I use most, is not even in the picture, it is a DBS with a MC-E pill. The reason for this is its small size and that it can be locked out (OLight M30 is missing that feature), this means that I always have it with me.

If I known that I will need a light, I pick one or two from the picture. Which one will depend on my mood and what I need it for, lately I have been using M30 and M2.

I wonder how it would be like doing a ceiling bounce with all those lights in a small room...

:crazy:

I take them one at a time. I have done it with some of them and made a graph of the output and also done some beamshoots. But the Solarforce and M2 is not included in that.

recDNA

Flashaholic

RJ Rivero

The guy at the Solarforce store emailed me that the L950M is discontinued. If you find one and don't buy it let ME know! LOL