TL3 LED Conversion ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
A co-worker gave me a Streamlight TL3 and said he wanted something different, brighter, better, etc. I said "sure, I will figure out something". Little did I know it was going to be a lot of work ...

I started by taking down the shoulder on the head/reflector:
dscf6207.jpg

I then very carefully opened up the hole to allow for an LED to fit:
dscf6208.jpg

Although this is the factory incandesent bulb holder, I used it to judge the opening in the reflector and to see how tall would the new heatsink "module" had to be:
dscf6209.jpg

The heatsink module that I am creating is a two part afair. The part facing the reflector will be in Al, and the part housing the spring and positive contact battery will be made out of Delrin. Here I am constructing the Delrin piece:
dscf6218.jpg

dscf6220.jpg

Here I started to cut the Al piece that faces the reflector:
dscf6427.jpg

dscf6428.jpg

and here I am fine-tuning the height:
dscf6429.jpg

dscf6430.jpg

Here I am setting up to drill the two holes for the LED wires:
dscf6439.jpg

dscf6440.jpg

Still more work needed on the heatsink, but the basic shape is done:
dscf6441.jpg

dscf6442.jpg

Here I am opening up the back side of the Al heatsink - it needs to house the Downboy LED driver that I am using, as well as mate with the Delrin piece:
dscf6480.jpg

Pieces fit as expected:
dscf6481.jpg

Some more work on the mill to setup the spring (donated by dead SureFire light module):
dscf6482.jpg

dscf6483.jpg

dscf6484.jpg

Not done, but starting to look like a real thing:
dscf6486.jpg

dscf6487.jpg

I had to enlarge the hole a tad to get the Downboy to fit, and I drilled a hole for the inductor to fit:
dscf6488.jpg

dscf6489.jpg

dscf6490.jpg

Here is how it looks on a dry fit with the driver inside:
dscf6492.jpg

dscf6493.jpg

Start the soldering/assembly part:
dscf6514.jpg

The hole for the inductor was cut so that the POS and NEG terminals would line up with the corresponding LED wires:
dscf6515.jpg

I added thin Krapton tape to prevent a short:
dscf6517.jpg

Solder positive wire:
dscf6518.jpg

Test with my bench supply before soldering/epoxying the spring side:
dscf6519.jpg

dscf6520.jpg

Epoxy the driver and Al/Delrin pieces together:
dscf6521.jpg

Add positive terminal:
dscf6522.jpg

And here is the completed module:
dscf6523.jpg

I removed the reflector to clean it with compressed air:
dscf6524.jpg

and finally, re-assemble the reflector, apply thermal paste between the heatsink and the reflector, assemble the head, put batteries, and test it against a while wall (like 18-20 inches away):
dscf6525.jpg

Lots of work, but it worked out great :D

Will

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thank you guys :eek:

Yes, it was a lot of work. Many, many hours to build one part, figure out what/how it would work, build/modify the parts again, etc.. The LED (Seoul P4, U bin is what I used) is still a nice improvement over the original incandescent bulb, plus being regulated at 1000mA on a nice heatsink means the new owner will be happy for a long time ;)

Last edited:

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to imagine so much work was done by just looking at the module. It's very well done. Did you make your the spring as well?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Hard to imagine so much work was done by just looking at the module. It's very well done. Did you make your the spring as well?

When I started I was not even sure it would work at all. I did not know if the reflector (not designed for LED's) would focus properly or not. I also did not know if I was going to have enough space to fit a small current regulated LED driver. Thankfuly the owner was a patient person!

There is nothing "flashy" about this build. Although many hours were spent figuring stuff out, and then building, modifying, and fitting the heatsink module, once assembled, no-one will ever know what is inside and what makes it "tic" - it just works.

But, looking at this project from another point of view, this project enhances my skills as a moder and "machinist-in-training", so I can now do these and even more complex projects - experienced gained by not reading, but by doing. So in the end, this was a very rewarding project :thumbsup:

The spring for the negative contact was "donated" by a dead SureFire P60 incandescent lamp module - I recycle parts as much as I can if/where it makes sense ;)

wquiles

Flashaholic
I actually never even turned the incandescent light on - it was given to me with drained batteries, and the first thing I did was to disassemble the unit to see what I could do with it. The owner of the (now LED-based) light is happy with the end result, but unfortunately I can't give you any quantitative/objective measurement since I don't have any.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Nice build & as always excellent post Will! I love viewing your posts! :twothumbs

I'm sure the owner will be/is very happy!

Gen3Benz

Newly Enlightened
Damn!
What a neat little doo-dad to hold stuff with!

Great machining :twothumbs

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although many hours were spent figuring stuff out, and then building, modifying, and fitting the heatsink module, once assembled, no-one will ever know what is inside and what makes it "tic" - it just works.

That's the way things should be, when done right the first time :thumbsup: