Looking for long runtime in a LED light

asutherland

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys/gals

I've read the LED DX roundup a couple times, it's really helped. But what I'm after is a light that has a nice LONG runtime. It doesn't have to be super bright, but have at least say 75-100 lumen. (I have a Fenix E01 which has a great 21 hour runtime but is only about 10 lumen)

Preferribly I'd want something that would last 24 hours or longer, and not be some huge triple D mag light. To be able to tailcap sit and even turn into more of a lantern (diffuser maybe?) would also be really a good feature. Waterproof would also be a bonus.

Best example of why I would need it is for camping and adventuring in the interior of BC where I might not be around a charging source for a couple days, and would need it around camp and have it on on a regular basis.

Thanks for your help!;)

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most higher end lights have a low mode that will give you over 24 hours. The fenix LD20 and PD30 do this nicely as does the nitecore d20 which on its very lowest setting claims 150 hours but only with a few lumens. There are even some cheaper lights that will give you this. The kingpower k2 on shiningbeam claims 120 hours at 6 lumens, probably a little overrated but will still be well over 24 hours and that is 34.75
Lastly, its not out yet but the new quark series is getting a lot of attention and one of its default modes is 18 lumens for 24 hours, which might be a great option for you. It has an even lower mode which claims 5 days if you need that too.
EDIT: whoops thought you wrote that you didn't need 75-100 lumens, yeah you aren't going to find something small with those stats.

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
And your size and budget requirements are?

Ie, the TK40 will last about 160 hours on low, and can be kicked up to a hefty 630lm if required. Its is kind of big, and it is expensive :) (not overpriced though..) The TK40 is a big base and is relativly stable tailstanding. the TK40 does 20hrs at 93lm.

On the flipside, the E01 you already have is cheap and small.

The LD20 is somewhere in the middle of that, price wise as brightness wise. Although theoretically capable of tail standing, it wouldn't be very stable (similar to my TK20 I imagine..)

Diffusers can be brought for LD20.

The Zebralight H501 is specced to run for 19 hours at 18 lumins, and is very good for camping. When it tailstands of course the light is coming out the side though...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 lumens for 24 hours?? I personally dont think that there is any light out there that can do that and still be portable enough to be stuffed in a backpack.

Fenix TA30 comes to mind, max of 225 lumens for 3.5 hours but medium at 60 lumens will go for 25 hours and their low of 9 lumens will run for 115 hours. Those were the ratings on their site for 3xCR123 cells. I own this light and it will run on 2x14500, 2x17500s and 3xRCR123s though i havent tested the runtimes. I would use rechargables and either carry spare rechargables or some primary CR123s to be safe and of course carry a backup E01.

I dont go camping much but i do go nightfishing along dark beaches and all and i find that the E01 provides enough light for most situations, more lumens are needed only if there is too much ambient light around or if you need to light up something further away or for 'what the #@*^$%@(* was THAT!' moments.

Another light you might want to consider is the LED Lenser P14 (which i just bought) its rated at 100 hours on their website, but doesnt say whether that is low or high (it's supposed to be a 3 mode light, hold the clicky for turbo, 1st click high, 2nd click low but honestly difference between turbo a high is just slightly discernible to my eyes). The thing i like about my P14 is the focusing ability, flood to spot is amazing.

It runs on 4xAAs (i'm using eneloops) and fits nicely in my hand, comes with a lanyard and holster too. But i have no idea how durable this light is and there havent been any reviews on this light that i have been able to find that address this issue.

I don't foresee needing 100 lumens all that often around a dark campsite but it would be good to have that amount of light if not more on hand if you needed it. A programable light might suit your needs, something like a Jetbeam M1X so you can have blinding light when you need it and another mode that you can program to suit your needs. One of my buddies does go camping and thus far he has told me that the Nitecore D10 serves his needs amply.

But 100 lumens for 24 hours? Sorry mate, i don't know of any that can do that and be either pocketable or backpackable. I just ordered a Romisen RC G2 II from shiningbeam, 2 modes and can run on 1xCR123 or 2xAA, that is going to be my fishing light with a Fenix E01 backup from now on, the nicer lights are gonna stay home, away from saltwater corrosion, sand and rocky breakwaters :D

Anyway, hope this input helps a little bit.

vali

Enlightened
I just ordered a Romisen RC G2 II from shiningbeam, 2 modes and can run on 1xCR123 or 2xAA, that is going to be my fishing light with a Fenix E01 backup from now on, the nicer lights are gonna stay home, away from saltwater corrosion, sand and rocky breakwaters :D

Anyway, hope this input helps a little bit.

I think you are talking about the RC-N3...

BTW I like efficient lights too but, unfortunately, the cheaper ones are usually bad in this area. The cheap light I own with better runtime is the Akoray K-106. Its only about 5-8 lumen in the lowest setting, and I did a runtime test with an eneloop and got about 37 hours. That is consistent with the 0.05 A drain BessieBenny read at the battery. But if you try it on Max the runtime is just over an hour and its not that bright nor efficient. (I really want to see a runtime chart on low since my test was using only my eyes and I dont know when the light went below 50%).

If you want long runtime for camping, get a Zebralight. In total darkness just a couple of lumen are more than enough. Its not a tipycal flashlight, but you can search in the forums and lots of people think that is the most useful light when camping.

If you want a "normal" flashlight, go for a multimode one. Yo dont need 90 lumen all the time (and 90 REAL lumen is a lot of light), but you can need it ocasionally. My Fenix LD20 is advertised at 70 hours/10 lumen, but that 10 lumen are more than I want most of the time when I am outdoors. Right now I am trying to get a couple of Quarks. The moon or min mode should be enough and the runtime in 2xAA is just great.

Illum

Flashaholic
To an extent, battery capacities are a constant, for runtime and output its usually an either-or ordeal. If you want runtime, sometimes you'll have to compensate output.

Personally I've settled with the surefire E2L...single mode for now
Single mode [2007]
9 hours [runtime here]

Two mode [2008]
high 6 hours [graph here], low 63 hours [graph here]

just a thought but what application do you have in mind for a 24hour runtime light?:thinking:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I like the 1 mode E2L as well.
I opened it up and put a Q3 5A in it, added a glow disk around the emitter, put it on a 1X18650 body and called it a day. I've not done a runtime test but it is really really long running.

I think the OP needs to find a way to carry spare cells.

Last edited:

asutherland

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the information!

I believe my original request for about 100 lumen may have been more than I need/thought I needed. Something around 25-50 would be perfect, or as low as 20. My 10 lumen Fenix E01 is just not bright enough for my liking.

Allow me some time to research your recommended lights, and I'll see if they fit the bill! The Surefire 2-mode E2L sounds like it may be perfect... or the LD20, as I like the idea of a diffuser.

thanks!
Andrew

tango44

Enlightened
Fenix TK10:
Turbo mode: Constant 225 lumens, 1.5 hours
General Mode: Constant 60 lumens, 10 hours

Enough for me! and did not cost me a fortune!

Illum

Flashaholic
I like the 1 mode E2L as well.
I opened it up and put a Q3 5A in it, added a glow disk around the emitter, put it on a 1X18650 body and called it a day. I've not done a runtime test but it is really really long running.

I think the OP needs to find a way to carry spare cells.

my single mode E2Ls measured 153ma / 155ma
an 18650 is 2200mah...10+ hours at least:crazy:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Just to suggest something a little different in case the OP might find the following interesting:

A SureFire three-cell C3/9P, with the Malkoff M60LL drop-in LED module, can have the following (single-mode) output configurations:

A person could have a 3-cell SF with a Malkoff M60LL, and obtain different outputs/runtimes by switching cells, while gaining maximum flexibility in utilizing different cell chemistries:
  • ~40 -> 5 lumens for ~80 hours (+/-) on 2xAA alkaline (per GreyShark)
  • ~60 lumens for perhaps ~24 hours on 2xAA Lithium? (untested - total guess on my part)
  • 80 lumens for 18 hours on 2x CR 123 + spacer (per BigWaffles)
  • ~140 lumens for ~13 hours on 3x CR 123 (per BigWaffles)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2999793#post2999793

This doesn't even include rechargeable configurations, such as 2x NiMH (such as Eneloops) for another low-output, long-runtime configuration, and 2x 17500 LiIon for another high-output, short-runtime configuration (~140 lumens for 9-10 hours).

The OP could choose the output level / desired runtime configuration prior to the trip, and have pretty much the widest battery choices of any commonly-available flashlight, period.

Just an (unconventional) idea,
K

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK10:
Turbo mode: Constant 225 lumens, 1.5 hours
General Mode: Constant 60 lumens, 10 hours

Enough for me! and did not cost me a fortune!

The TK11R2 can do 18 hours -even more than stated by manufacturer- on low mode. have you ordered the TK10 already?

asutherland

Newly Enlightened
I found an old silver AAA Minimag yesterday, and am going to try the Super MJ LED drop-in, already ordered from the Sandwich Shoppe :thumbsup:

Apparently it gets very decent runtime ~ 30 hours, and decent light output too! We'll see!

I'm still interested in investigating the other lights you guys mentioned though... hehlovecpf

Marlite

Enlightened
Hello Asutherland

I think your needs are fully met here in Selfbuilts review.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/219901

[Exerpt]
Output/Runtime Comments:

[Although the output levels don't seem too different between the original Connexion and the X2, output/runtime efficiency (which was already quite good) appears to have been increased a bit further on the X2, especially on the Med-Lo modes.] quote.

[The X2 seems particularly efficient on its lowest mode, where it ran for longer – and with a bit more light for most of the run – than the excellent Zebralight H50 (i.e. 4.5 days for the X2 vs 3.5 days for H50). It was however less tightly regulated than the H50.]Quote.

It's almost double with the 2AA tube and TurboForce head is available for throw and for distant objects. 4.5 days bolded by me. :grin2:

Available at [email protected]
spacer.gif
or http://www.batteryjunction.com

Enjoy, marlite

I found an old silver AAA Minimag yesterday, and am going to try the Super MJ LED drop-in, already ordered from the Sandwich Shoppe :thumbsup:

Apparently it gets very decent runtime ~ 30 hours, and decent light output too! We'll see!

I'm still interested in investigating the other lights you guys mentioned though... hehlovecpf