47`s MC-E COLOR & MC-E STANDARD 18650 unnamed light!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
47`s is braving new territory with their soon to be released (?) MC-E COLOR light. So far we know it will have thermal managment, be powered by a single 18650, be as bright as possible, be the smallest factory built light out there. And now we know one option will be the MC-E color Cree. First one to use it in a flashlight I believe.

Saving my pennies...anyone else?

Ops...edit: here`s the link http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2330326#post2330326

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 47`s MC-E COLOR 18650 unnamed light!

This might be the first Quark I can get interested in, and it looks like it might even turn out to be very exciting. :popcorn:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

They should make an MC-E light that has 4 colors with one die being one color. That way tiny package and still have 4 colors. It would be a lot more complicated I guess, might as well just have 4 rebels of different colors in the same place?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it possible to only light up one of the leds on the die? I'm obviously not a multi-die expert.

I didn't think colored leds produced that many lumens, much less lux.

If that's right, this being a multi-die, would have to be in a deep reflector for it to be practical?

How far off am I.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Title changed to reflect that the light will be available in standard white beam also.

As I understand it each die is wired seperatly. So at the most basic level you have 4 color choices. Depending on how advanced the chip is it might be possible to adjust for pretty much any color you want...same as a TV/computer screen use a few basic colors but are able to produce a whole spectrum.

In addition you could...for example...have the white die on all the time but strobe/flash the blue...or strobe/flash the red...or strobe/flash both red and blue...any way you want...for example road construction workers might want to direct traffic with a white and flashing/stobing yellow beam. Fire departments might make use of white with flashing/strobing red beam. Police might make use of white with flashing/strobing blue and red. (using a light in this manner will land you in jail quick if you are not a LEO) ( I wanted to build lights to do these things years ago...and now it could be done better with the MC-E) You could add a cone attachment to the light.

You could have the white on all the time and change the tint...turn the red up just a tad for a rose beam...then turn the yellow up a tad for a sunny white rosey beam.

But I imagine the chip and controls to do all this would make the light expensive...and I think 47`s wish is to keep this light affordable for us.

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
*BAM!*

I just subscribed to this thread!

I'm a huge fan of 4sevens and am interested in the Quark lights but have been waiting for some innovation that distinguishes itself from my current collection... this could be it! Whoo hooo!!!

:grin2:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
multiple colors activated indepedantly would mean a total of 8 connections though... or maybe at least 5. A little bit more work.

Wattnot

Enlightened
What is Cree's main purpose for this? Is it for improved color rendidtion with them all on simultaniously or for mult-color choices in one light?

I have several multi-die emitter lights now and it takes all 4 (or 6 :devil:) running at the same time to yeild a good output and beam. When I try to picture only 1/4 of an MC-E lit I'm not picturing that much output.

zven

Enlightened
What is Cree's main purpose for this? Is it for improved color rendidtion with them all on simultaniously or for mult-color choices in one light?

I have several multi-die emitter lights now and it takes all 4 (or 6 :devil:) running at the same time to yeild a good output and beam. When I try to picture only 1/4 of an MC-E lit I'm not picturing that much output.

From the applications they list on the MC-E Color product info page, I'm guessing they intend these to be able to light up each die independently of the others.

And if that's not the case, would the RGB dies really add much to the CRI? I haven't had any RGB lights, so I haven't been able to play with how such a setup would perform in terms of color rendering. But wouldn't an RGB setup give you relatively poor CRI since each LED would be lighting up a narrow range of the color spectrum? Wouldn't there be significant gaps in the spectrum that would go un-lit (and thus lead to poor CRI)? Or is my understanding off?

Anyway, if 47's is able to make an MC-E Color light where each die can operate independently, and it still has a good beam profile for each color, then I'm pretty sure I'd have to have one. Not that I know what I would do with each of those colors yet, but it'd be pretty awesome.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, if 47's is able to make an MC-E Color light where each die can operate independently, and it still has a good beam profile for each color, then I'm pretty sure I'd have to have one. Not that I know what I would do with each of those colors yet, but it'd be pretty awesome.
That is exactly what I am thinking as well. At the same time their full on White only version looks very intriguing as well since 4Sevens is talking about using active thermal management to allow them to push the light to it's limit safely without worrying about damaging anything. Either the one version with lower output RGB (does it also have a single die with white output?) or the second version with 4 dies running full tilt on white. I am very interested in both.

xenonk

Enlightened
The MC-E's dies are individually addressable if you wire them up in parallel, so you can do all sorts of fun things with it. You can have four steps of output on direct drive by switching dies on or off, for instance. You can also wire it up in series for a higher voltage circuit. I imagine the multi-colour light will allow you to select individual ones. Mixing colours would also be interesting, but that would be one hell of a UI.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Mixing colours would also be interesting, but that would be one hell of a UI.

I see that as the biggest "problem" with the light, you can do many interesting combinations with 4 colors, how is it ever going to satisfy all users at the same time? Some sort of advanced programmable interface with a couple of slots (Like LiteFlux) would be nice. I.e. make it possible to set RGBW for each slot and also select some blinking modes. But this depends on the driver 4Sevens has put in the light, can it control brightness for each die or only total brightness and die on/off.