New to the forums and looking for advice in deciding

rolexconfuse

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to spend up to $200 for a very good portable/mini LED flashlight. I've been looking at a number of websites and there are so many different types and brands that I don't know where to start. There's a lot of designs I like but I'm not sure how they perform. And even from browsing the forum I'm confused :D. So hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Some things that are important to me:

- needs to be water resistent

- flood and spot (work I do sometimes I need to light up a room since there's no lights at all)

- bright as possible, (possible to have it as much light output as a 70 watt or greater light bulb?)

- Throw, something that's decent. I don't need a throw that goes more than 100-200 feet.

- steady light level, no flickering

- run time not as important as long as it can use AAA or CR123 batteries. I can always have spares on me

- pocketable

- Would be great of it had multiple brightness level but not necessary a problem if it's not

I've

Thanks

rolexconfuse

Newly Enlightened
it does not need to match every point from the above, most important is brightness and portability.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Something like the Olight T20, I20, or M20 might work - since Olight sells a good quality diffuser for each model (i.e. gives you the option for throw or flood, as needed). I'd suggest the M30 for more "ummph", but the visible PWM may be an issue for you if you are sensitive to it (I note you specified no flicker - the T20/I20/M20 are flicker-free).

Otherwise, there are plenty of good lights included in my various reviews (see my signature for a master list link). Check out also the 4Sevens Quark 123-2 (or the older Fenix PD30 and Olight T20). The 2xCR123A models are very pocketable.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Fenix P3D Q5 Premium or PD30. The PD30 replaced the P3D. They perform very similar. Mostly a design change. You may be able to find the P3D a little cheaper since its the previous model. Make sure it is the P3D Q5 Premium if you get one. These have a good wide spot and bright spill and can still easily throw a beam 100ft. The PD30 has a redesigned reflector and has a slightly better throw but at the expense of a slightly tighter spot with some artifacts in the beam(rings around the spot, but isn't that bad). I use my P3D for work and prefer it over the PD30. Most of the use is lighting up things between 2 and 20 Ft. If it was for longer distances, I may have prefered the PD30.

From what I have read about them, you can't go wrong with any of the Quark lights, either.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
in that size class (2*AA, 2*CR123, 1*18650, and skip AAA) there is only one:
18650 Li-Ion

a light with 1*18650 and single die led for runtime,
one with 1*18650 and MC-E / P7 for power application
(con: the quad led can not be powered long from a single 18650. If You want to afford the price and can live with the increased size + weight: Jetbeam M1X)

... price under 40-50,-- for portable light with single die led, or
... price under 70,-- for 2*18650 with quad-die led
--> guaranteed crap with high chance of failure.
NOT recommended for a "work"-light

If You think that spot-to-flood and AAA is absolutely necessary, there is only some Led-Lenser that remains,
(but hell should come to earth be4 I recommend a Lenser)

Last edited:

rolexconfuse

Newly Enlightened
The Olight M30 looks very nice, I especially like that fact that it's a 700 lumen led but at 7 inches a bit long for it to be portable.

Anything in the 4-5 inch area? Doesn't have to be 700 Lumen 200 would be fine.

The Surefire LX2 LumaMax looks interesting but I'm not sure if it does flood. It is 200 Lumens though the price is listed as $195.00