New 580 lumen Wolfeyes Explorer Run Times

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The Explorer is an outstanding new Wolf Eyes light (review by Wattnot)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233676

The run time specs provided by Wolfeyes are incomplete:

Default mode: Maximum brightness (100%) -> 30% brightness ->lowest brightness (2%)

Runtime: full brightness stage:1 hour with regulated output ; 2 hours with unregulated output

Wolfeyes includes no runtime information on the two lower modes

User questions include: Are the 2 unregulated hours added to the 1 hour of regulation? If so then the 1 hour may not be fully regulated, but a downward curve so that voltage-determined abrupt cut-off may occur anywhere along this curve. However the dimming beam will at least give warning before the "sudden death" common to fully regulated Li-ON lights.

It would be useful to see runtime tests but I haven't found any in Search. If any users have performed tests, even informal ones, it would help us to use our Explorers more efficiently.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
Wolf-eyes now specs the MC-Explorer @ 700 lumens and 45 minutes runtime. Any idea what is going on? Have they upped the performance? Also, tried calling PTS several times but always get a recording. Are they the only US dealer?

RR

litetube

Enlightened
PTS is at that Outdoor trade show. I have a feeling you wont get much response while they play. Maybe they made an announcement of this , if they didnt they should have and/or closed shop officially until it is over?:faint:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Wolf-eyes now specs the MC-Explorer @ 700 lumens and 45 minutes runtime. Any idea what is going on? Have they upped the performance? Also, tried calling PTS several times but always get a recording. Are they the only US dealer?RR

Unless Wolfeyes is now pushing the latest Explorers hard enough to put out 700 lumens I have to question the new rating. The Explorer is significantly dimmer (ceiling bounce) than my Eagletac M2C4 (P7) which itself may be mistakenly rated at 900 lumens but which is significantly dimmer than the "800 lumen" M2xC4.

These days "lumens" is like barbecue sauce; everyone has their own recipe.

Brightnorm

litetube

Enlightened
Yep, there is NO WAY its gonna put out 700 lumens on one 18650. And there do seem to be varying runtime qoutes. I would think 450 off one 18650 would be possible? Maybe runtime of 40 mins? probably less runtime off one cell though. who knows until testing is done:shrug:

elho

Enlightened
If any users have performed tests, even informal ones, it would help us to use our Explorers more efficiently.
I do not see how it would help/change usage in any way, it is use whatever mode is best for the situation and have enough spare cells with you either way. ;)

But runtimes are always interesting nontheless, so here come my informal results (no lightmeter of any sorts besides my poor eyes) so far:

On High it runs about one 1 hour regulated as we now already, after 70 minutes it is notably dimmer.
On Med it runs 3.5+ hours, after nearly 4 hours it is as dim as it is on Low when fully charged.
On Low it so far ran for nearly 9 hours without any change in brightness , but I guess I gotta abort that test before it is done to play with it some more when it is dark again. ;)

To my surprise Low is only about as bright as Low on my R2 Sniper (see original thread), so I expect a very long runtime on Low.