Same size, but better then Fenix TK 10

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I have Fenix TK 10 and I am very pleased with it. However, I am looking now for something more powerful. Could you pls recommend something? Important thing to me is, that it has to be more or less the same size and approx. similar weight as this is the maximum as I can carry in my pocket without becoming unconvenient. That TK 10 is perfect for me, but sometimes I found the lack of throw. I have quite long backyard (about 300 meters) and clearly seeing what's going on at the other end of it becomes a bit difficult (especially when it's raining or there is a bit misty). I know, I can mount big search light (helicopter style :nana:) on my roof, but it's not an option for me as I also need it to look after my forest ESPECIALLY in the night, if you know what I mean....:sigh: I want small, convenient, tank-built light based on two CR123 and which can provide more then 250 lumens (I know there is new TK 11 which has 240 lumens, but I doubt I will notice a difference between mine TK 10 wit it's 225 lumens.

The other part of my question are batteries. As we all know TK 10 uses 2 CR 123 batteries (I personally have put there recharch. accus). Is there any option to increase it's power by putting some different batteries? Maybe some mods or smth? :thinking:
Best Regards, thanks in advance for all your help.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must understand the difference between the TK11 and the TK10 : The TK10 is a universal light with a very nice beam produced by a more or less heavy OP reflector. The TK11 is a thrower, a tight beam produced by an SMO reflector.

As you decribe the situation, you need a thrower, a TK10 will not cover 300 meters. The best one in the size of the TK10 may be the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-2, at least it's my best thrower. The new EagleTac T20C2 with 300 Lumen and an SMO may be good as well, same thing for the Olight M20 Warrior Premium with an SMO.

Otherwise, you must change the size and/or the emitter class...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
funny someone who uses a light of the "tactical" line that any hiker would consider ugly shaped and inconvenient to pack/pocket and wants one that might be about the same - instead of one that does not show all those egdes and teeth ...
;)

Think of the possibility of using a 1*18650 light.
The onyl downside is, that there are no primary cells possible, the rest is better than 2*CR123:
same size/weight, much more power in cell, rechargeable (= cheaper with much use), less tiny spare cells to bring along.

Also there are quite a bunch that are very nice to pocket.
My favorite were the Jetbeam Let III Pro Ultra - should give a nice throw and spill.

PS: 250 is SF, 200 is realistic! For most any single-die light. The new Cree led will give more punch with up to 300 at same power consumed, but it is not yet released.

hirtavepo

Newly Enlightened
...becomes a bit difficult (especially when it's raining or there is a bit misty)...
If I've gotten it right this is not an issue with lumens, but with color temperature instead -> a "neutral white" light might do the trick here?

T20C2 is going to be available with neutral white led?

tango44

Enlightened
Hi Guys,

(I know there is new TK 11 which has 240 lumens, but I doubt I will notice a difference between mine TK 10 wit it's 225 lumens.

The other part of my question are batteries. As we all know TK 10 uses 2 CR 123 batteries (I personally have put there recharch. accus). Is there any option to increase it's power by putting some different batteries? Maybe some mods or smth? :thinking:

The TK11 will do the trick and yes you will notice the difference the 11 is a very tight spot. It takes 18650´s

But to be honest I don´t think your eyes will spot a intruder at 300 mts.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I have Fenix TK 10 and I am very pleased with it. However, I am looking now for something more powerful. Could you pls recommend something? Important thing to me is, that it has to be more or less the same size and approx. similar weight as this is the maximum as I can carry in my pocket without becoming unconvenient. That TK 10 is perfect for me, but sometimes I found the lack of throw. I have quite long backyard (about 300 meters) and clearly seeing what's going on at the other end of it becomes a bit difficult (especially when it's raining or there is a bit misty). I know, I can mount big search light (helicopter style :nana:) on my roof, but it's not an option for me as I also need it to look after my forest ESPECIALLY in the night, if you know what I mean....:sigh: I want small, convenient, tank-built light based on two CR123 and which can provide more then 250 lumens (I know there is new TK 11 which has 240 lumens, but I doubt I will notice a difference between mine TK 10 wit it's 225 lumens.

300 meters is going to be tough to achieve (outside of a larger bodied, HID). How about this (it fulfills most of your requirements):
- SureFire 6P
- SureFire Turbo Head (KT2)
- SureFire MN20 lamp
- 2x AW IMR16340 cells

It should make around 350+ lumens out the front for around 10 minutes. Plus, being incan should help with cutting through rain and fog. It should fit in your pocket with the head sticking out :laughing: You could use your current Fenix for walking around and pull out your turbo head SF when you need to really light something up! :cool:

Here is what it would look like (from the AW IMR-123 cells performance? thread):
img6020zp1.jpg
:D

Another option might be the new SureFire LX2. It's been estimated to be putting out 200-225 lumens IIRC. With the SF optics, it's quite the thrower! The above concoction would be more fun though. :)

-Robert

Last edited:

kts

Enlightened
TK40 will kick most other lights, also the SF mentioned above :tinfoil:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the Raptor RRT-1 would be a good idea.
The head is a little larger... but it throws like a angry monkey!

Here are some comparison pics:

P7301956.jpg

P7301958.jpg

Last edited:

LightJaguar

Enlightened
The smallest farthest throwing light that I have seen so far is the Ultrafire recoil 008. I've had about three of them pass through my hands and all of them have had excellent build quality very unUltrafire like.
The last dedicated thrower that I had on my hands was the Nitecore Spear. I think that the Recoil throws as far or farther but I no longer own the Spear so I can't compare them side to side.
I own a POB HID so I really have no need for the bigger dedicated LED throwers. However I like the Recoil 008 since it throws far and is on the smaller size, just a bit bigger then a 6P.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
a good option would be the solarforce L2 with the Dereelight 3SD SMO R2. max voltage is 4.2 so you will need an 18650 for your L2 (they sell combos with the light, 18650 batt, and the charger) Should be around 220 lumens but with long throw and good runtime

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Geez, Guys! I didn't expect so many answers! Thank you so much! Now I need to take all of it methodically - see all the pictures, photos and sizes of all these flashlights, check the reviews, see the beamshots :D, check the prices :mecry:and availability . Thank you once again, I'll let you know what was the decision and why. Take care!

BigD64

Enlightened
300 yards from a 6P sized led light is not gonna cut it at this tiem. For that distance you need to go to an HID and a bigger reflector.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix TK11 R2 would be a good choice for you as it has more lux than the TK10, therefore it will seem brighter in the hotspot and throw further. The other option is to mod a Surefire 6P. You will need to bore out the body tube to accommodate a single AW 18650, 2600 mAH cell, then buy a P60 Dereelight module R2 SMO. You can choose either the 1SD or 3SD depending on how many light levels you require. Then you will need to buy two aspheric lenses. One smaller one with a short focal length near the R2 emitter. The larger one will be further away, and i have also used a SF Z59 tailcap and Fenix lanyard on mine. What you get is a super thrower 6P size.

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Nightstalker1993 - you're the man! Of course no fence to you all, Guys! Thanks to you all, considering all pros and cons, reading your answers and suggestions, browsing forums I have decided to buy M2XC4! Funny thing - I just went to that thread just to inform you about my decision, and then saw Nightstalker1993's responce ;).
Now explanation. When I was speaking about 2 CR123 batteries size I kept in mind the lenght of the tube for additional batteries and then thought: bloody hell, two batteries is the maximum to the pocket, more will make the tube too long. But I totally forgot about paralell loading system which EagleTac offers with it's M2XC4. This light is really palm / pocket size and at the same time throws like crazy! Ok, it's not the book example of a pocket - size light, but eventually you can put it into your pocket, can't you, and that was it what I was after. And there comes holster as well, which can make your hands free at demand.
Thanks, take care!

Nightstalker1993

Newly Enlightened
nice to be of help to you.

only flaw in the M2 is the fact that its too damn easy to hit the strobe. the ring is smooth, which is a good thing. but the strobe is so close to Turbo.

if i'm you, i'd mod the light to disable the strobe once i get it lol.