Love or hate the new Surefire melted design?

dmz

Enlightened
Do you love or hate the new Surefire melted design (E1B, LX1, LX2)?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the new smooth bodies that don't have the aggressive knurling.

Eg. The LX2 is a melted design, whereas the E2DL is a knurled design.

LX2E2DL.jpg

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I consider the "melted" (or blended, smooth) style of the E1B to be different from that of the new-style (Design Patented) 'fluted' body and bezel accents of the Titan (T1-TI, T1A) and LX2, A2L etc.

The 'melted' style is removal of knurling whereas the new fluted style is a replacement (or alternative if you prefer) to traditional knurling.

The fluted style retains grip and retention characteristics.

I personally don't find the melted style of the E1B very useful whereas the new fluted style is. Whilst aesthetics are one thing, how well it works for each of us really has to be experienced to be determined.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't hate the "melted" design, I prefer the knurled design. The "melted" design is a bit too slippery in my opinion. If Surefire had just toned down the knurling, making it similar to Maglite's knurling, it would be just right.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
What Al said. The E1B is not comparable in design and ergonomics to the new SF design of the LX2 et al.
I really appreciate the LX2 design. Functional, modern and not destructive. Then again, I am a civilian, so what do I know :D

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
if the grooves are cut perpendicular to the body it will provide a little more grip compared to grooves cut along the length of the tube. :sssh:

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
I dont know that I have a preference. I love the Surefire knurling but on the other hand the new design has a really nice look to it and its not hard at all to handle. I was expecting it to be slippery but its not :shrug:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Al said. The E1B is not comparable in design and ergonomics to the new SF design of the LX2 et al.
I really appreciate the LX2 design. Functional, modern and not destructive. Then again, I am a civilian, so what do I know :D
Agreed. I didn't find the LX2 slippery at all. Can't comment on the E1B. :tinfoil:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I generally prefer knurling on my lights, but its not a deal-breaker either way. More choices can't be a bad thing in my book.

johndoeslo

Newly Enlightened
I am entirely in agreement that the LX2 design is disctinctly different from the E1b. The LX2 has wide and sharp troughs that run the length of the body while the e1b has very small slits for traction.

Functionally speaking, the LX2 provides strong resistance to rotation but little resistance to axial movement. This allows the light to slide in and out of clothing easily while still maintaining excellent grip. The E1b (IMO) provides relatively poor roational resistance.

Latest posts